Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Where to Buy Delta Unisaw.....

Joe wrote:

Your explanations are very clear and I'll go for the Biese, as I
prefer the "sacrificial face material on the fence" I can live with
Unifence too, I like the micro adjustment as some of my repeatability
cutting will save time.

SFWIW, glued two (2), 3/4" (13 ply), pieces of birch ply, about 8" wide
x 36" lg, then bolted this to Unifence extrusion with S/S bolts and wing
nuts.

Provides a sacrificial fence as well as a place to clamp feather boards
that serve as hold downs.

(You need 1-1/2" material thickness to take advantage of the built in
reference marks on the gauge, thus the double 3/4" requirement.)

YMMV.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 08:54:21 -0500, Frank Boettcher
wrote:

snip for brevity

Your explanations are very clear and I'll go for the Biese, as I
prefer the "sacrificial face material on the fence" I can live with
Unifence too, I like the micro adjustment as some of my repeatability
cutting will save time.

Unifence:

Has more features, but you may not need them. Fence can be pulled
back in front of the blade to use as a cuttoff guide with the
scale/cursor still active and accurate or to get more stability on the
feed side. Can be laid over to make a finish cut on a piece that you
have rough installed laminate. later versions have very nice stops
that give you "memory" to your set ups. Has fine tune adjustment in
all directions including perpendicularity to the table and height
above the table.

Cons:

Only by comparison to Biese, a little more delicate because of cast
aluminum body and aluminum extrusion guide rail and fence.

To work the "other" side of the blade, have to pull the fence off and
put it on the other side of the body.

Biesemeyer:

Bulldog tough, basic structural parts all made of steel. Easier to
clamp sacrificial face material on the fence. Fence face is laminate
over baltic birch, laminate easier to remove glue, pitch, etc. Fence
is finished both sides and can be worked both sides simply by sliding
it past the blade on the guide rail.

Cons:

Doesn't have those nice features that Unifence has. Doesn't have a
perpendicularity adjustment (unless they change it, has been a while),
but the factory is Oh so careful about getting that right.

I always advised those that were doing production ripping all day long
to buy the biese. Craftman work for fine woodworking buy the
Unifence. everybody in between can flip a coin and not go wrong.

If I am not mistaken many woodworkers start with Craftsman and later
graduated to a cabinet saw ahead.

The X5 Deltas cost much more than the other
Deltas, and I always thot the premium editions are made in the USA
too?

I called a local stockist, they quoted me a -L31X-BC around $1,900
with $250 rebate from Delta. It includes the 50" extension table with
support, but no mobile base and that is almost the price of the other
China's made "Unisaw."

X5 and other true Unisaws are made in the USA (qualify, there are some
castings from the orient, and unless it has been changed, motor is
from Brazil). All others are made in China with the exception of the
12/14" saws which I think are still sourced from Invicta in Brazil.

In order of recommendation,1. pre 2003 Unisaw, used (with Marathon
motor),2. Current X5 or other Unisaw, 3. imported cabinet saw.
Opinions will vary a lot on this.

I am leaning toward the X5 after I get the blessing from SWMBO
Thanks Frank, I appreciate it.

Frank
I represent no one but myself.