Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Delta Unisaw/cabinet saw

Does any one know what the differences are between the Delta Unisaw and
the Delta Industrial Cabinet saw?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

wrote in message
oups.com...
Does any one know what the differences are between the Delta Unisaw and
the Delta Industrial Cabinet saw?

I am clueless but if you are considering a purchase keep in mind that there
is going to be a new Unisaw this year.

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Leon wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Does any one know what the differences are between the Delta Unisaw and
the Delta Industrial Cabinet saw?

I am clueless but if you are considering a purchase keep in mind that there
is going to be a new Unisaw this year.

That's the first I've heard about it, Leon. have you heard any specifics?

dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"David" wrote in message
. ..
Leon wrote:

That's the first I've heard about it, Leon. have you heard any specifics?

IIRC this Spring. It seems like it was mentioned in the new products to be
released section of a tool review magazine. I do not recall which.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber

Maybe a new color...the saw has not been changed since 1937
in it's basic design.

New covers, new fences but a "new" Unisaw ????

I don't think so. (Even Black & Decker ain't that stupid)

Leon wrote:

IIRC this Spring. It seems like it was mentioned in the new products to be
released section of a tool review magazine. I do not recall which.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Pat Barber wrote:
Maybe a new color...the saw has not been changed since 1937
in it's basic design.

New covers, new fences but a "new" Unisaw ????

I don't think so. (Even Black & Decker ain't that stupid)

"New and Improved!", like what's been done to beer, cereal, toilet
paper, printers, bread, pizza, (dare I say it?) tobacco, "cheese", etc.
Death by a thousand cuts. A marketing gloss over efforts to improve
profits by use of cheaper materials/methods.

Leon wrote:

IIRC this Spring. It seems like it was mentioned in the new products
to be released section of a tool review magazine. I do not recall which.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
Maybe a new color...the saw has not been changed since 1937
in it's basic design.

New covers, new fences but a "new" Unisaw ????

I don't think so. (Even Black & Decker ain't that stupid)

More likely "new" means made in China instead of the US.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Enoch Root" wrote in message

"New and Improved!", like what's been done to beer, cereal, toilet
paper, printers, bread, pizza, (dare I say it?) tobacco, "cheese", etc.
Death by a thousand cuts. A marketing gloss over efforts to improve
profits by use of cheaper materials/methods.

Notice how thin the material is in shirts these days, and when's the last
time you've seen one, or any apparel, made in the US?

Life as we've come to know it in this country is just about over ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
Maybe a new color...the saw has not been changed since 1937
in it's basic design.

New covers, new fences but a "new" Unisaw ????

I don't think so. (Even Black & Decker ain't that stupid)

Well there is a new Powermatic 2000 cabinet saw and I would choose it over
the 66 in a heart beat.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
Maybe a new color...the saw has not been changed since 1937
in it's basic design.

New covers, new fences but a "new" Unisaw ????

I don't think so. (Even Black & Decker ain't that stupid)

More likely "new" means made in China instead of the US.

Or Taiwan, China, Have you seen the new Powermatic 2000? The Cutting Edge
has one on display. About 30-40% heavier than the old PM66.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 16:08:32 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Does any one know what the differences are between the Delta Unisaw and
the Delta Industrial Cabinet saw?

I am clueless but if you are considering a purchase keep in mind that there
is going to be a new Unisaw this year.

I'll take that bet :~)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Jackson

The industrial cabinet saw is a 1 3/4 hp. hybrid type saw, basically a
contractor type saw only the motor is enclosed in the base. Not in the same
league as the 3hp or better unisaw, but it costs right around $1000. --dave

wrote in message
oups.com...
Does any one know what the differences are between the Delta Unisaw and
the Delta Industrial Cabinet saw?

Posted to rec.woodworking

According to Delta, the Industrial Cabinet saw 36-732 is 3 hp. With a
Biesemeyer fence it is $1349 from Amazon. Except for the X5 label and
$550, I don't see much difference between this and a Unisaw.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Pio

"Leon" wrote in message
m...

wrote in message
oups.com...
Does any one know what the differences are between the Delta Unisaw and
the Delta Industrial Cabinet saw?

I am clueless but if you are considering a purchase keep in mind that
there is going to be a new Unisaw this year.

I found mention of the new Unisaw in this article:

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ez.../interview.cfm

-m

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob G.

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 18:35:23 GMT, Pat Barber
wrote:

Maybe a new color...the saw has not been changed since 1937
in it's basic design.

New covers, new fences but a "new" Unisaw ????

I don't think so. (Even Black & Decker ain't that stupid)

============================
Have to agree with you...BUT if they are that stupid I guess they
would paint it Pink...

If I was in the market for a new Cabinet Saw (I'm not) my thoughts
woiulde be along the lines of how much discount is going to be given
on the OLD...PROVEN...Models...

Bob G.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

Pat Barber wrote:
Maybe a new color...the saw has not been changed since 1937
in it's basic design.

New covers, new fences but a "new" Unisaw ????

I don't think so. (Even Black & Decker ain't that stupid)

What if they stole some ideas from the Powermatic 2000?

How about a snap-in riving knife/pawls/guard, built-in casters, locking
arbor, dust shield around blade, or built-in castors?

I don't think it's necessarily stupid to add new functionality.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
noonenparticular

Well there is a new Powermatic 2000 cabinet saw and I would choose it over
the 66 in a heart beat.

http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/index.cf...il&iid=6057911

That's real purty. $2,911 worth of purty. Don't think loml will go for
that one. It's a shame, too. It would look really nice in place of the
sears contractor saw currently in the middle of the shop.

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

noonenparticular wrote:

Well there is a new Powermatic 2000 cabinet saw and I would choose it over
the 66 in a heart beat.

http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/index.cf...il&iid=6057911

That's real purty. $2,911 worth of purty. Don't think loml will go for
that one. It's a shame, too. It would look really nice in place of the
sears contractor saw currently in the middle of the shop.

jc

That price makes me appreciate the "bargain basement" cost of my Unisaw.

dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber

I suspect you are right... I ain't never going to sell my
12/14 saw built in 1966 in Tupelo.

Swingman wrote:

"Pat Barber" wrote in message

Maybe a new color...the saw has not been changed since 1937
in it's basic design.

New covers, new fences but a "new" Unisaw ????

I don't think so. (Even Black & Decker ain't that stupid)

More likely "new" means made in China instead of the US.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber

Delta has has had a snap-in splitter with pawls for
years. This is also sold with a overhead guard with
full coverage of the blade.

To my knowlege, they have never sold a saw without a
blade cover.

I don't know what a "locking arbor" is.

A mobile base seems to work just fine.

Chris Friesen wrote:

What if they stole some ideas from the Powermatic 2000?

How about a snap-in riving knife/pawls/guard, built-in casters, locking
arbor, dust shield around blade, or built-in castors?

I don't think it's necessarily stupid to add new functionality.

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Pat Barber wrote:

I don't know what a "locking arbor" is.

Locking arbor, like locking shaft on a circular saw or router for blade
or bit changes.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

Pat Barber wrote:
Delta has has had a snap-in splitter with pawls for
years.

I did say riving knife, not splitter.

I don't know what a "locking arbor" is.

Like on an angle grinder or a CMS...push a button on the outside and the
arbor cannot turn. Means you don't need a block of wood to wedge
against the blade when you want to change blades.

A mobile base seems to work just fine.

It's one more thing to buy/assemble. There are a couple saws out there
with casters built-in, and I suspect it will gain in popularity.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian Elfert

Pat Barber writes:

Delta has has had a snap-in splitter with pawls for
years. This is also sold with a overhead guard with
full coverage of the blade.

A riving knife is different from a splitter. It raises and lowers with
the blade and hugs the blade very closely. I think it can stay on even
when doing a dado.

American woodworkers have asked for riving knifes for years while
Europeans have had them for years or probably decades.

Brian Elfert
Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian Elfert

Chris Friesen writes:

A mobile base seems to work just fine.

It's one more thing to buy/assemble. There are a couple saws out there
with casters built-in, and I suspect it will gain in popularity.

How many people really move a cabinet saw? Mine sits in one spot, but it
also has a sliding table with support legs. Lots of contractor saws do
have mobile bases or casters.

Brian Elfert

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Brian Elfert wrote:
Chris Friesen writes:

A mobile base seems to work just fine.

It's one more thing to buy/assemble. There are a couple saws out there
with casters built-in, and I suspect it will gain in popularity.

How many people really move a cabinet saw? Mine sits in one spot, but it
also has a sliding table with support legs. Lots of contractor saws do
have mobile bases or casters.

Brian Elfert

ah, my Uni sits on the mobile base that it came with and YES, I do move
it.

Dave