Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default INSPIRATION - 'Lectrc Guitar

http://www.kevinchilcott-luthier.co....ii-natural.htm

If I could play a guitar, tis would probably inspire me to make one
like this - out of plywood - that was my first thought on seeing it.
One, to see how it would t urn out, and two, to see how many people it
would **** off. I probably would only paint the top of the neck yellow,
the rest I would finis with cooking oi. Ah, life can indeed be fun.

JOAT
I have anal glaucoma. I can't see my ass going to work today.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 10:41:30 -0400, (J T)
wrote:

http://www.kevinchilcott-luthier.co....ii-natural.htm

If I could play a guitar, tis would probably inspire me to make one
like this - out of plywood - that was my first thought on seeing it.
One, to see how it would t urn out, and two, to see how many people it
would **** off. I probably would only paint the top of the neck yellow,
the rest I would finis with cooking oi. Ah, life can indeed be fun.

The only electric guitar I want is the original Les Paul, he made it
out of a 4x4. Heard him play it once at an AES convention.

Mark
(sixoneeight) = 618
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 16, 11:41 am, Markem wrote:

The only electric guitar I want is the original Les Paul, he made it
out of a 4x4. Heard him play it once at an AES convention.

What-the-hay, why not a 1959? A 1959 Les Paul in good condition can be
easily priced between $100,000 and $500,000.

Unfortunately, Les Paul had very little to do with any of the Les Paul
designs.
Gibson designed and built a guitar, Les Paul picked the colour and
allowed Gibson to put on his name.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

http://www.kevinchilcott-luthier.co....ii-natural.htm

If I could play a guitar, tis would probably inspire me to make one
like this - out of plywood - that was my first thought on seeing it.
One, to see how it would t urn out, and two, to see how many people it
would **** off. I probably would only paint the top of the neck yellow,
the rest I would finis with cooking oi. Ah, life can indeed be fun.

Well, I've seen electric guitars made from plywood, MDF, flakeboard,
old construction lumber, aluminum, plastic and steel. Probably other
things as well. They have come finished in every color under the sun
and a few you can't imagine. They get covered in decals, gold leaf,
fabric and leather. Electric guitar luthiers are one group you are
unlikely to be able to **** off, no matter how weird you go.

Remember, Kiss is a mild, mainstream act.

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 16 Apr 2007 10:15:30 -0700, "Robatoy" wrote:

On Apr 16, 11:41 am, Markem wrote:

The only electric guitar I want is the original Les Paul, he made it
out of a 4x4. Heard him play it once at an AES convention.

What-the-hay, why not a 1959? A 1959 Les Paul in good condition can be
easily priced between $100,000 and $500,000.

Unfortunately, Les Paul had very little to do with any of the Les Paul
designs.
Gibson designed and built a guitar, Les Paul picked the colour and
allowed Gibson to put on his name.

Probably a good thing having seen the original, it weren't purty till
he played it.

Mark
(sixoneeight) = 618

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 17, 3:45 pm, Tim Douglass wrote:
On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 16:42:57 -0400, (J T)
wrote:

Kiss? As far as I know, I've never even heard Kiss. Don't tey
wear weird makeup? I'm not interest in listening to guys that wear
makeup, damn sure aren't going to watch them. Well, in truth I wouldn't
watch them, or even listen to them, makeup or no makeup.

Yep. That's them. And that's my point. To you they are way out weird
(OK, to me too), but compared to a lot of what is out there they are
mild and mainstream. There is weird stuff out there that the normal
human can barely dream of.

Listen to some of their old albums. Put aside any preconceptions,
and just listen. KISS were skilled musicians who played cleanly,
accurately, with a high level of discipline -- no one band member
tried to
outdo the others, which would lead to noise, and consequently an
early
breakup.

Not that they lacked in the weirdness department. There's an
infamous KISS comic book that was printed with ink containing
blood from each of the four band members.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 16, 10:41 am, (J T) wrote:
http://www.kevinchilcott-luthier.co....ii-natural.htm

If I could play a guitar, tis would probably inspire me to make one
like this - out of plywood - that was my first thought on seeing it.
One, to see how it would t urn out, and two, to see how many people it
would **** off. I probably would only paint the top of the neck yellow,
the rest I would finis with cooking oi. Ah, life can indeed be fun.

JOAT
I have anal glaucoma. I can't see my ass going to work today.

Glue supposedly deadens sound. Old Gibson banjos made with
3-ply shells fetch higher prices than 5-ply. Less glue, more
wood = brighter sound.

That said, Bondo and sand the hell out of it before painting.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 16 Apr 2007 10:15:30 -0700, "Robatoy" wrote:

What-the-hay, why not a 1959? A 1959 Les Paul in good condition can be
easily priced between $100,000 and $500,000.

Unfortunately, Les Paul had very little to do with any of the Les Paul
designs.
Gibson designed and built a guitar, Les Paul picked the colour and
allowed Gibson to put on his name.

Have you read Gibson Electrics by A.R. Duchossoir?
The book gives a good history of Gibson electrics with interviews with
Les and Ted McCarty from Gibson among others.
You might be surprised at how much influence Les actually had on solid
body production. While Les did not design final body styles, design
features like scale length, and the original combo bridge/tailpiece
were his. The patent for the original wrap around tailpiece was
applied for by L. W. Polfus. in 1952. Of course by the time the
patent was issued in '56, the McCarty designed tune-o-matic had
already replaced the one designed by Les.
Anyway, the book is an interesting read if you like the minutia of
Gibson history.

Mike O.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 18, 2:16 am, (J T) wrote:
Tue, Apr 17, 2007, 4:14pm (EDT-3)
(Father Haskell) doth adviseth:
Glue supposedly deadens sound. Old Gibson banjos made with 3-ply shells
fetch higher prices than 5-ply. Less glue, more wood = brighter sound.
That said, Bondo and sand the hell out of it before painting.

I'm tone deaf so no prob there.

Nah, I figure just paint, that should **** some of the too ight
people off even more.

Automotive lacquer. It'll rub out to a pianolike gloss. Krylon
fast-dry "enamel" is close, comes in a wide selection of
gaudy colors.

Guitar repair Mary Fisher UK diy 36 November 2nd 06 08:48 PM
Guitar Building Don Dando Woodworking 0 August 29th 06 01:38 AM
Guitar manufacturing Mike O. Woodworking 10 June 14th 06 06:46 PM
Building a guitar. David Dugas Woodworking 5 March 22nd 06 01:37 PM
Guitar finished Sbtypesetter Woodworking 2 July 18th 03 06:22 PM