Posted to rec.woodworking
David Dugas

Default Building a guitar.

I know this is an electric guitar inquiry... but I trust you guys
opinions more than the metal heads on other forums.

I'm having a rear routed dual humbucker tele built. It will have a
walnut body and a quilted maple top. what type and color of stains
and/or dye would you use for the walnut and the quilted maple?
(individually or together...)

feel free to suggest anything else.

-David.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"David Dugas" wrote in message
oups.com...
I know this is an electric guitar inquiry... but I trust you guys
opinions more than the metal heads on other forums.

I'm having a rear routed dual humbucker tele built. It will have a
walnut body and a quilted maple top. what type and color of stains
and/or dye would you use for the walnut and the quilted maple?
(individually or together...)

feel free to suggest anything else.

-David.

I wouldn't stain or dye walnut or quilted maple. For durability and to
bring the beauty of these woods out, I would hand rub an BLO mix in then a
wipe on gloss poly.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"David Dugas" wrote in message
ups.com...
what if the maple figuring isn't as prevalent as i would like it?
could i add a gunstock oil to the body before adding the poly just to
give it a little richer color? what is BLO mix?

-dave.

Boiled Linseed Oil and Turpentine - Forget the gunstock oil.
You can test the maple fiiguring by wiping on the Turpentine first.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
Ken Muldrew

"David Dugas" wrote:

I know this is an electric guitar inquiry... but I trust you guys
opinions more than the metal heads on other forums.

I'm having a rear routed dual humbucker tele built. It will have a
walnut body and a quilted maple top. what type and color of stains
and/or dye would you use for the walnut and the quilted maple?
(individually or together...)

If you want the figure of the quilted maple to be exaggerated, then
first dye with black (or a dark brown) and then lightly sand it. Then
dye with a lighter brown, oil, followed by shellac.

Ken Muldrew

(remove all letters after y in the alphabet)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

David Dugas wrote:
what if the maple figuring isn't as prevalent as i would like it?
could i add a gunstock oil to the body before adding the poly just to
give it a little richer color? what is BLO mix?

Oh, in that case, just twist up a rag between your hands, well-soaked in
a nice dark/black stain, and roll it across your figured maple to get
"tiger striping".

8-*

er (don't do that.)
--
email not valid

Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

Not for a nice guitar like that you wouldn't. Poly is something of a
sacrilege among luthiers. Sorta like latex on cherry. Custom crafted
electric guitars are generally stained and shot with nitrocellulose lacquer.

--

-Mike-

That's the good point. There was a 16 year old in the adult ed. class with his father
building a telecaster body from a solid block of cherry. They did their research, and
laquer is the proper finish.

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com