Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike O.

Default Guitar manufacturing

Here's a link to Taylor guitars that shows some of the manufacturing
process. If you're in to guitars the clips are interesting but I
also thought they might interest the woodworkers here. There are
several clips starting with the one on this link. I haven't watched
them all yet but the bending machines were pretty slick.

http://www.taylorguitars.com/video/f...3a+Roto-shaper

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Mike O." wrote in message
Here's a link to Taylor guitars that shows some of the manufacturing
process. If you're in to guitars the clips are interesting but I
also thought they might interest the woodworkers here. There are
several clips starting with the one on this link. I haven't watched
them all yet but the bending machines were pretty slick.

On that same subject, any woodworker should appreciate DIY channel's
"Handmade Music" and particularly the two series with Lynn Dudenbostel ...
the epitome of master woodworker/luthier.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Mike O." wrote in message
Here's a link to Taylor guitars that shows some of the manufacturing
process. If you're in to guitars the clips are interesting but I
also thought they might interest the woodworkers here. There are
several clips starting with the one on this link. I haven't watched
them all yet but the bending machines were pretty slick.

On that same subject, any woodworker should appreciate DIY channel's
"Handmade Music" and particularly the two series with Lynn Dudenbostel ...
the epitome of master woodworker/luthier.

Roger that. I can appreciate both. I own a Taylor and they are beautiful
guitars. My only complaint with Lynn's show is that it seems they only air
the same show or two around here. Or maybe I just get "lucky" and remember
to tune in on the days that happen to be re-plays. No question though, he's
a great luthier.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan

That seems to be all that DIY and the other satelite stations have;
two or three shows that they continually play over and over and over.
It would be nice to see a new episode sometime of any of their shows.

Or, I guess that I could go back to watching network TV...NAW, I will
just continue to watch the repeats and gripe and complain about how
many times I have already seen it! LOL

There is a new show, however, on RFDTV. It is called the 'Practical
Woodworker'. It is not too bad. I think it is just a couple of guys
who got together and started filming someone making projects. It
doesn't seem to have that 'professionally' filmed aura about it. But,
I am seeing repeats of this one, too.

Make more sawdust,

Woodworkerdan
Dan Harriman
Orange, Texas

"Swingman" wrote in message

On that same subject, any woodworker should appreciate DIY
channel's "Handmade Music" and particularly the two series with
Lynn Dudenbostel ... the epitome of master woodworker/luthier.

Roger that. I can appreciate both. I own a Taylor and they are
beautiful guitars. My only complaint with Lynn's show is that it
seems they only air the same show or two around here. Or maybe I
just get "lucky" and remember to tune in on the days that happen
to be re-plays. No question though, he's a great luthier.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I agree. Watching Lynn's shows inspired me to take a big jump and
build my own guitar, following his process and a blueprint from
Stewart-McDonald. I even bought my spruce from the same guy that Lynn
got his from.

Link to my guitar project:
http://www.ccsi.com/~mbrown/Woodwork...ar_page_1.html

Michael Brown

Swingman wrote:
"Mike O." wrote in message
Here's a link to Taylor guitars that shows some of the manufacturing
process. If you're in to guitars the clips are interesting but I
also thought they might interest the woodworkers here. There are
several clips starting with the one on this link. I haven't watched
them all yet but the bending machines were pretty slick.

On that same subject, any woodworker should appreciate DIY channel's
"Handmade Music" and particularly the two series with Lynn Dudenbostel ...
the epitome of master woodworker/luthier.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Posted to rec.woodworking
mjd

wrote:
I agree. Watching Lynn's shows inspired me to take a big jump and
build my own guitar, following his process and a blueprint from
Stewart-McDonald. I even bought my spruce from the same guy that Lynn
got his from.

Link to my guitar project:
http://www.ccsi.com/~mbrown/Woodwork...ar_page_1.html

Michael Brown

outstanding - what a project! You did Lynn proud, that's for sure.
Thanks for all the detailed photos and info too. Handmade Music is a
great show, esp. the Dudenbostel segment. I'm just getting started in
woodworking, but one of these years I'm hoping to tackle a homemade
cittern/Irish bouzouki. I've got a lot to learn and an awful lot of
tools to acquire, but your project provides good inspiration...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Geo

Swingman wrote:
"Mike O." wrote in message
Here's a link to Taylor guitars that shows some of the manufacturing
process. If you're in to guitars the clips are interesting but I
also thought they might interest the woodworkers here. There are
several clips starting with the one on this link. I haven't watched
them all yet but the bending machines were pretty slick.

On that same subject, any woodworker should appreciate DIY channel's
"Handmade Music" and particularly the two series with Lynn Dudenbostel ...
the epitome of master woodworker/luthier.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Mike, what a terrific job. How does the guitar sound?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels

"Geo" wrote in message
ups.com...

Swingman wrote:
"Mike O." wrote in message
Here's a link to Taylor guitars that shows some of the manufacturing
process. If you're in to guitars the clips are interesting but I
also thought they might interest the woodworkers here. There are
several clips starting with the one on this link. I haven't watched
them all yet but the bending machines were pretty slick.

On that same subject, any woodworker should appreciate DIY channel's
"Handmade Music" and particularly the two series with Lynn Dudenbostel
the epitome of master woodworker/luthier.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Mike, what a terrific job. How does the guitar sound?

I found it interesting that he spent almost the same amount of money on
supplies and tools as he did on the guitar materials.

This was not a modest undertaking. It took considerable time and money.

Mr Brown should be complimented on this considerable accomplishment. Many
would not have taken on such a project. Or would have they finished such a
project. (That would include me at this stage of my life)

Posted to rec.woodworking

mjd, Geo and Lee,

Thank you for the kind words about my guitar project. I was hunting
around for a project to really challenge me to try something different,
and the guitar certainly fit the bill. I didn't know it was going to
turn out to be quite so expensive, but now I have all the tools and
jigs I need to build another one. Will I? Not until the memories of
those 135 hours fade... :^)

I'm a duffer as a guitar player but it sounds good to me. Other people
who have played it say it feels and sounds good to them. Actually the
key to the whole project is the spruce top... giving just a light strum
produces a loud and sustained sound which you wouldn't get from any
other type of wood.

Michael Brown

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Geo" wrote in message