Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Not a Gloat

Does not qualify tho I am pretty happy.

Found a lumber yard within an hour of my house today that I had heard about
for the last 10 years, but always assumed it was some place else. The name
of the yard is Kettle Moraine Hardwaoods so I assumed it was in the Kettle
Moraie are of Southern Wisconsin. It is actually on the I94 frontage road in
Racine Wisconsin. Much closer to me. I have been buying my lumber from a man
in Gurnee who sells out of his house, great deals on domestics, basically
$2.40 to $3.80 a BF for white/red oak, walnut and maple, but his selection
is very limited.

So I visited Kettle Morain Hardwoods and picked out a nice pice of
Bloodwood, a couple real nice pieces of Canarywood and 3 beautiful Walnut
Burls from the shorts bin, all 2 to 4 feet long, 5 to 10 inchs wide and 4/4
to 5/4 plus 2 nice 6" x 5/4 curly maples 8 and 7 foot long, for about $80.

This is the type of place that has huge book matched planks all over, some
nice crotches and burls. First time I saw $500 boards, while still carring
fairly cheap racks of white and red oak for us normal woodworkers.

Not a gloat but made me damn happy. If you are in the Northern Illinois,
Souther Wisconsin area, give them a try.

http://www.kmhardwoods.com/index.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

Neil,

I can remember as a little kid going to Racine to visit cousin
Noel Fonk and family. The big memory was coming over a bridge
approaching Racine and passing a building with the Case eagle on
top. We would have been coming from Kenosha.

Does the Case eagle still exist?

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Neil Larson" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

What I remember was driving past Racine to Kenosha and sucking suds at 18
Y.O. teen bars.Best places where Thirsty Eye and Brat Stop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Neil Larson" wrote in message
. net...
Does not qualify tho I am pretty happy.

Found a lumber yard within an hour of my house today that I had heard
about for the last 10 years, but always assumed it was some place else.
http://www.kmhardwoods.com/index.htm

And they have a 36" belt sander for glued up panels. Looks like you found a
good supplier.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yes it does, the sander was a nice bonus. I was absolutley drooling at the
huge bookmatched pieces of Honey Locust, Sycamore, Walnut, Cherry and
Mohagany on top of all the rest of the great lumber. Also, every single
piece is priced, no BF calculator needed. Lots of helpful people working and
they don't get whinny when you start unloading bins looking for just that
one perfect piece.

Oh yeah, and the Brat Stop is still there and a great place for a brat and a
beer and there is even a real live Dog N Suds a couple exits down the road.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
et...

"Neil Larson" wrote in message
. net...
Does not qualify tho I am pretty happy.

Found a lumber yard within an hour of my house today that I had heard
about for the last 10 years, but always assumed it was some place else.
http://www.kmhardwoods.com/index.htm

And they have a 36" belt sander for glued up panels. Looks like you found
a good supplier.

Posted to rec.woodworking

You always have great sigs, but I bel;ieve this is the best so far.

JOAT
I have anal glaucoma. I can't see my ass going to work today.