Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Gloat! (Almost...)

Well after having a kerf close on a board I was ripping causing it to kick
back from the TS through the back window of the shop last week I decided to
get a real splitter. Stopped by the Columbus OH Woodcraft the other day to
grab some router bits and came across a Merlin (made by Excalibur) splitter.
Regular price $115. On big time sale- got it for $28.75! This would
qualify as a big gloat except the savings will be needed to replace the
glass in the window Anyway, I got it installed this a.m. and it's
freaking great! Removes and installs in seconds. The splitter even came
with a piece of neoprene to replace the back of my Excalibur overhead guard
so both can be used together. Ripped up a few sheets of ply and some other
stock to make some cabinets and am very happy with it. If your in the
Columbus OH area, there are several of these splitters on the back shelf
next to the hardware. I don't think there is another one that will fit a
Jet Xacta lefty or Uni lefty, but there were 6 boxes or so still there that
will fit other saws. Keep in mind, Excalibur got bought by General Canada
who I hear is now sourcing these parts out to China so make sure you open
the box and make sure everything is there as there won't be any customer
support through Excaliber should there be a problem. Probably why they are
on clearance now. But for $28 is was a great buy! --dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Jackson wrote:
Well after having a kerf close on a board I was ripping causing it to kick
back from the TS through the back window of the shop last week I decided to
get a real splitter. Stopped by the Columbus OH Woodcraft the other day to
grab some router bits and came across a Merlin (made by Excalibur) splitter.
Regular price $115. On big time sale- got it for $28.75!

I've wanted to get one of these but they don't make one for my saw (Ridgid
TS2424), damn it. Congrats on the buy.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
MB MB is offline

Keep in mind, Excalibur got bought by General Canada
who I hear is now sourcing these parts out to China so make sure you open
the box and make sure everything is there as there won't be any customer
support through Excaliber should there be a problem.

Was this buyout recent? I bought an Excaliber TS fence about a year or
two ago also at woodcraft. It was 80% off (Yes 80). Anyway a few parts
were missing. I gave them a call and they sent the parts out to me no
questions asked. No charges at all. I just gave them the list of
missing items, and I had them in about a week. I'd hate to see
customer service like that disappear.

Mitch