Posted to rec.woodworking

Default milling maple

I had to drop a fairly large maple tree on my property last week. The
thing was dying. I was hoping to get a few spalted slabs out of it,
however, in cross section, there is a center ring running through the
core of the tree that is quite dark. The perimiter of the crosscut is
typical maple color and very nice, but the center is as described.
The wood is not rotten, and it's not your typical black spalt. Has
anyone had any experience with this type of discoloration of the core,
and would it be worth milling?

Posted to rec.woodworking

the dark center of a maple log is the heartwood
though the white sapwood area is the most wanted often maple will sell
unselected for color which offers the light dark contrast. percent of
whitewood to darkwood often has to do with rate of growth. here in north
central Minnesota at about the northern edge of the maple growing range
60 - 70 % heart is the norm
consequently not very good hard maple.
ross
www.highislandexport.com

milling maple Doug Woodworking 2 April 12th 07 10:56 AM
Milling Some Maple in Oregon Schroeder Woodworking 1 March 1st 05 11:51 PM
Musing about up milling, down milling, shearing and scraping. Arch Woodturning 10 February 6th 05 08:11 PM
hard maple vs soft maple - is one or the other preferred? [email protected] Woodworking 21 December 16th 04 10:09 AM
FA 'A treatsie on milling and milling machines' larry g Metalworking 0 November 9th 03 06:44 PM