Posted to rec.woodworking

Default milling maple

I had to take down a maple in front of my house last week. The thing
was dead, around 20-24" at its base. I was hoping it might yield some
interesting spalted slabs, however in cross section there is, what I
can best describe as a stain that seems to run all the way through the
center of the logs. On the perimiters, the wood is typical maple
color, with some spalting happening. The inner core seems to be
perfectly solid, not rotten, but again, it has a well defined grayish
core taking up about 75% of the logs. I'm wondering if anyone has
seen this and if it might be worth milling or not? My inclination is
that the wood wouldn't be that attractive, but I've got no experience
with this.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I think you will only know after you make a few lengthwise saw cuts in the
trunk section. The patterns can't be determined until you can get to see
these saw cuts. Some wood secrets like birdseye and burls show enough
through the bark to give a clue as to what's inside, but spalting can't
really be seen until you open it up. Even then the true beauty will be
partially hidden until after you make something out of it and do the final
shaping and sanding. You may get lucky, or maybe not.

--
Charley

"Doug" wrote in message
ups.com...
I had to take down a maple in front of my house last week. The thing
was dead, around 20-24" at its base. I was hoping it might yield some
interesting spalted slabs, however in cross section there is, what I
can best describe as a stain that seems to run all the way through the
center of the logs. On the perimiters, the wood is typical maple
color, with some spalting happening. The inner core seems to be
perfectly solid, not rotten, but again, it has a well defined grayish
core taking up about 75% of the logs. I'm wondering if anyone has
seen this and if it might be worth milling or not? My inclination is
that the wood wouldn't be that attractive, but I've got no experience
with this.

Posted to rec.woodworking

ups.com...

Heartwood. Learn a bit about wood at http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/