Montyhp

Default Built-in cabinets on carpet?

You did say this is a dorm room. So the cabinet will be in place for 9
months? I would just put it right on the carpet.

Montyhp
"Sir Edgar" wrote in message
J. B, Bobbit wrote:
snip
The question:
Is it OK to put the cabinet bases directly on the carpet? Or should I
rip out the carpet under the cabinets and put the cabinets bases
directly on the slab? Advantages? Disadvantages? Random thoughts?
Thanks a heap,
-JBB
I do not know where you live but in Florida it is a no-no to put cabinet
bases directly on carpet or a slab. The reason for this is that mold
grows between them. I have put casters on almost everything and I get
the added advantage of being able to move them easily. At the least I
would suggest some sort of legs if you can incorporate them into your
design. Otherwise when you remove the cabinets, the carpet will probably
never recover and you will have a depressed rectangle where the base
was. I feel confident that you will come up with a good solution.

Peace~ Sir Edgar
רררררררררררררררררררררררררררררררררררררר

Sir Edgar

The usual practice is to make a rabbet (dado?) a few inches above the
floor in both sides of the cabinet or book case. This is to receive the
bottom shelf and keep it off the floor. Then the front has a plain or
decorative strip across it. I have never seen a design that puts the
bottom directly on the floor. I suggest looking at a finished piece in a
store or at a set of plans.

Peace ~ Sir Edgar
=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F 8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=
=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8

Fitting cheap carpet Jackie UK diy 7 June 5th 04 09:30 AM
Measuring stair carpet paul williams UK diy 3 September 24th 03 12:38 PM
felt back carpet. jerrybuilt UK diy 3 August 14th 03 11:09 PM