paul williams

Default Measuring stair carpet

OK. So carpet is normally sold on a roll 3m (13ft) wide and when you
measure you're rooms you need to remember this. Which means sometimes
you have to buy a bit more because thats the way it comes off the
roll.

What about stair carpet ? OK. My stairs are'nt 13 ft wide but are
quite long. Forgetting about things like patterns, can you measure
your stairs, and divide this into two ?

What I mean is say the 'length' of carpet (inc. up and down bits) is
30ft and the width is, say 5ft. Can't I just buy 15ft of carpet (off
the roll 13ft wide) and split this down the middle leaving two lengths
15ft x 6.5ft ? Then stick it on with a join in the middle of the
stairs ?
BigWallop

"paul williams" wrote in message
om...
OK. So carpet is normally sold on a roll 3m (13ft) wide and when you
measure you're rooms you need to remember this. Which means sometimes
you have to buy a bit more because thats the way it comes off the
roll.

What about stair carpet ? OK. My stairs are'nt 13 ft wide but are
quite long. Forgetting about things like patterns, can you measure
your stairs, and divide this into two ?

What I mean is say the 'length' of carpet (inc. up and down bits) is
30ft and the width is, say 5ft. Can't I just buy 15ft of carpet (off
the roll 13ft wide) and split this down the middle leaving two lengths
15ft x 6.5ft ? Then stick it on with a join in the middle of the
stairs ?

You also have to measure for turns and lapping into the corner of the tread
and rise if you're making a neat job of the edges.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Roger Mills

"Phil Addison" wrote in message
On 17 Sep 2003 05:58:28 -0700, (paul williams) wrote:

OK. So carpet is normally sold on a roll 3m (13ft) wide and when you
measure you're rooms you need to remember this. Which means sometimes
you have to buy a bit more because thats the way it comes off the
roll.

What about stair carpet ? OK. My stairs are'nt 13 ft wide but are
quite long. Forgetting about things like patterns, can you measure
your stairs, and divide this into two ?

What I mean is say the 'length' of carpet (inc. up and down bits) is
30ft and the width is, say 5ft. Can't I just buy 15ft of carpet (off
the roll 13ft wide) and split this down the middle leaving two lengths
15ft x 6.5ft ? Then stick it on with a join in the middle of the
stairs ?

Carpet is also available in several stair-width sizes, apart from 13'.

See
http://www.carpet-index.com/ci/Diy.htm for details of how to measure

for
stair carpet.

See also
http://www.carpetinfo.co.uk/
http://www.carpetfitter.co.uk/

--
Phil Addison
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/

If you join stair carpet, you need to join it at the back of a tread - so
that one piece covers the tread, and the other piece ends at the bottom of
the riser. This is best done with two gripper strips - one on the riser and
one on the tread, with both lots of spikes pointing towards the corner. If
you do cut a wide strip down the middle, make sure that you buy a long
enough piece to allow for joining in a corner - and *not* in the middle of a
tread - and you may need more still if pattern matching is required.

Roger