Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Norm "joke"

Saw the following on a van while I was driving to work today:

" A-1 Construction/Design

When Norm can't make it"

Wondering how many would get this?

MJ Wallace

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
Saw the following on a van while I was driving to work today:

" A-1 Construction/Design

When Norm can't make it"

Wondering how many would get this?

MJ Wallace

LOL.. That might be a wasted slogan. If you get it, you may be able to do
it yourself. If you don't get it, it probably would be of no appreciated
value.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Does this have anything to do with that character from "Cheers"?
(Just kidding, but that Norm may jump to mind before The Norm in many
people's minds)

Marc

On Apr 11, 8:58 pm, "
wrote:
Saw the following on a van while I was driving to work today:

" A-1 Construction/Design

When Norm can't make it"

Wondering how many would get this?

MJ Wallace

Posted to rec.woodworking

(Just kidding, but that Norm may jump to mind before The Norm in many
people's minds)

I'd guess a good bit of the population that's in to home improvement
type stuff would get it. But either way, a lot of people WOULDN'T get
it - I wonder if people would assume "Norm" stood for "normal", and
assume this contractor is saying he's just a cut above average? It's
a stretch...
I once had a college professor who said he included jokes in his
lectures primarily to entertain himself, but if we wanted to laugh,
that'd be fine. It seems like this is the same situation - this guy
has to know that many people won't "get" his ad, but he's just doing
it for fun. I like it!
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 11, 8:58 pm, "
wrote:
Saw the following on a van while I was driving to work today:

" A-1 Construction/Design

When Norm can't make it"

Wondering how many would get this?

MJ Wallace

When Norm doesn't have the skills
When Norm doesn't have the time

Cute double entendre. yawn

Every time I see the word 'Norm"...what I hear in my head is: "Good
afternoon, everybody!"

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote:

Every time I see the word 'Norm"...what I hear in my head is: "Good
afternoon, everybody!"

I hear "before we use any power tools, let's take a moment to talk
about shop safety" and wonder if he just doesn't care if you
eviscerate yourself with a draw knife.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
ups.com...

Every time I see the word 'Norm"...what I hear in my head is: "Good
afternoon, everybody!"

OK, I think about the available measured "drawERings" for that chest of
Draws.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"Robatoy" wrote in message

Every time I see the word 'Norm"...what I hear in my head is: "Good
afternoon, everybody!"

OK, I think about the available measured "drawERings" for that chest of
Draws.

"We'll just cover this with a top" ... as he unfolds a tarp.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"We'll just cover this with a top" ... as he unfolds a tarp.

That's Roger, not Norm.

Lee

_________________________________
Lee Gordon
http://www.leegordonproductions.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 14:48:18 -0400, "Lee Gordon"
wrote:

"We'll just cover this with a top" ... as he unfolds a tarp.

That's Roger, not Norm.

No kidding. In an Ask This Old House episode a while back he actually
had the homeowner putting some dirt on top and had to explain he meant
the tarp.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Gordon" wrote in message
"We'll just cover this with a top" ... as he unfolds a tarp.

That's Roger, not Norm.

A rose by any other name ... or is that lemons?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"We'll just cover this with a top" ... as he unfolds a tarp.

That's Roger, not Norm.

No kidding. In an Ask This Old House episode a while back he actually
had the homeowner putting some dirt on top and had to explain he meant
the tarp.

Yep, IIRC he was in Dallas talking to a Texan. We don't understand Boston
Yankee very well. We like to pronounce all our letters and add a few
extras.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Lee Gordon" wrote in message
"We'll just cover this with a top" ... as he unfolds a tarp.

That's Roger, not Norm.

A rose by any other name ... or is that lemons?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Having lived in South Texas and Spanish being the second language, there
comes the South Texas slant on word pronunciation. Many years ago while
still working in the automotive business a Hispanic mechanic came to me and
requested a set of Brake Shoes for the vehicle that he was working on.
Naturally there was 2 drum sizes to choose from, 11 or 12 inch IIRC. I
asked which shoe size he needed and of course he did not know.

He exclaimed, I done no wish size choose to shoes?

Posted to rec.woodworking

No kidding. In an Ask This Old House episode a while back he actually
had the homeowner putting some dirt on top and had to explain he meant
the tarp.

That's exactly the instance I was referring to. I'm sure Norm also has a
"funny" way of saying "tarp" (you can check it in the NYW "Sandbox""
episode) but it's not quite as Bostonian as Roger's.

Lee

_________________________________
Lee Gordon
http://www.leegordonproductions.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 22:26:10 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"We'll just cover this with a top" ... as he unfolds a tarp.

That's Roger, not Norm.

No kidding. In an Ask This Old House episode a while back he actually
had the homeowner putting some dirt on top and had to explain he meant
the tarp.

Yep, IIRC he was in Dallas talking to a Texan. We don't understand Boston
Yankee very well. We like to pronounce all our letters and add a few
extras.

Good friend from Rhode Island moves to Mississippi, goes into Sears
looking for some parts to repair his chain link fence. Kept asking
the sales person where he could get some "pots". She kept sending him
to housewares.

He lives in Katy now, and I'm sure he is confusing you Texans on a
daily basis.

Frank