Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What is the catch?

OK they got my interest but I don't believe it. What is the catch to
the Ridgid Lifetime warranty on tools including batteries?
http://www.ridgid.com/Manuals/RidgidLSA.pdf

Anyone try and make good on this lifetime deal?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RayV" wrote in message
ups.com...
OK they got my interest but I don't believe it. What is the catch to
the Ridgid Lifetime warranty on tools including batteries?
http://www.ridgid.com/Manuals/RidgidLSA.pdf

Anyone try and make good on this lifetime deal?

It's legit and has been around for a while.

Posted to rec.woodworking

RayV wrote:
OK they got my interest but I don't believe it. What is the catch to
the Ridgid Lifetime warranty on tools including batteries?
http://www.ridgid.com/Manuals/RidgidLSA.pdf

You have to register the tool, so basically they know exactly what
you've bought. Also, some of their tools are larger/heavier than the
equivalent competitor.

For instance, I was tempted by their cordless impact driver, but the
main body is quite a bit longer than their competitors, and is not
available in Li-ion.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"RayV" wrote in message
ups.com...
OK they got my interest but I don't believe it. What is the catch to
the Ridgid Lifetime warranty on tools including batteries?
http://www.ridgid.com/Manuals/RidgidLSA.pdf

Anyone try and make good on this lifetime deal?

It's legit and has been around for a while.

This one appears to be different as it is a "Lifetime Service Agreement" and
only commences after the 3 year "limited warranty" expires.

IIRC, the old one was a "lifetime warranty", but only covered defects in
material and manufacturing?

cynic mode

Looks good ... but looks are deceiving. I get suspicious whether
specifically stating that it is not a "warranty" is meant to dodge State
warranty laws, some of which may not apply to "service agreements"?

And, if it's too good to be true ...

/cynic mode

Sure looks good, though!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

IIRC, the old one was a "lifetime warranty", but only covered defects in
material and manufacturing?

Some time in 2005 or maybe 2006 magazine ads were indicating that if you
bought a Ridged worm drive circle saw that at so many hours you could take
the unit in and have the oil changed out for free. So many hours later you
have the brushes replaced and so on, for as long as you own the tool. Free
battery replacements for life have been around also for several years.

cynic mode

Looks good ... but looks are deceiving. I get suspicious whether
specifically stating that it is not a "warranty" is meant to dodge State
warranty laws, some of which may not apply to "service agreements"?

3 or 4 years ago I called and talked to a rep and the warranty/service
agreement is good. They advised to shoot a premanent copy of the receipt to
prove when the tool was purchased to validate which warranty you are
entitled to. Old receipts fade out with time.
I guess the problem with my passing on the drill was looking at was the the
drill I was interested in weighed too much.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10 Apr 2007 12:48:02 -0700, "RayV" wrote:

OK they got my interest but I don't believe it. What is the catch to
the Ridgid Lifetime warranty on tools including batteries?
http://www.ridgid.com/Manuals/RidgidLSA.pdf

Anyone try and make good on this lifetime deal?

There is no catch, it really covers all the things they say it does
and they've been doing it for quite some time.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 11, 1:20 pm, Mike Berger wrote:
The catch is that they're Ridgid tools. If you like 'em,
fine. Craftsman offered a lifetime warranty too.

Ray replied:

Yeah and the craftsman warranty is all but worthless. Last time I was
in Sears and asked about it the old-timer explained after looking over
his shoulder that they are encouraged to say the tool was abused and
not exchange it. Pity, Craftsman used to make decent mechanics tools
in the day...

I guess gone are the days of that barrel full of cracked sockets and
bent screwdrivers that was in every Sears store.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 11, 1:20 pm, Mike Berger wrote:
The catch is that they're Ridgid tools. If you like 'em,
fine. Craftsman offered a lifetime warranty too.

Ray replied:

Yeah and the craftsman warranty is all but worthless. Last time I was
in Sears and asked about it the old-timer explained after looking over
his shoulder that they are encouraged to say the tool was abused and
not exchange it. Pity, Craftsman used to make decent mechanics tools
in the day...

I guess gone are the days of that barrel full of cracked sockets and
bent screwdrivers that was in every Sears store.

Sounds like a disgruntled employee. At my local Sears they see me with a
broken tool and ask me to hand it to them and point me towards the new ones.
The hand tool warranty is much different than the power tool warranty with
the same name.

How to catch ants Big Al Home Repair 12 April 12th 07 07:51 AM
Catch It Now Weatherlawyer UK diy 5 February 25th 06 11:46 AM
Catch It Now Weatherlawyer UK diy 0 February 22nd 06 12:32 AM
Catch It Now Weatherlawyer UK diy 0 February 21st 06 11:37 PM
today's catch Gunner Metalworking 1 July 17th 05 01:54 AM