Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Iron stains on mahogany?

--I'm taking a whack at box making; last night I left something
gluing up with a square in place to make sure it cured to an accurate angle.
But I'd sponged the joint first, so some moisture got trapped under the foot
of the square and by morning there was a nice black stain there. Sooo aside
from sanding the crap out of it is there a way to remove the stain?

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Before the last "election"
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : a fifty was a twenty...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 10, 9:02 am, steamer wrote:
--I'm taking a whack at box making; last night I left something
gluing up with a square in place ... some moisture got trapped under the foot
of the square and by morning there was a nice black stain there.

Iron stains come out with oxalic acid (sold as wood bleach or
wood cleaner); it is slow to act, and needs to be kept damp,
so I usually wad a bit of paper towel up and saturate it with
oxalic/water solution. Leave on the spot overnight, then
rinse and give it a day or two to dry.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 10, 12:22 pm, "whit3rd" wrote:

Iron stains come out with oxalic acid

muriatic (swimming pool) acid works also.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10 Apr 2007 16:02:14 GMT, steamer wrote:

Sooo aside
from sanding the crap out of it is there a way to remove the stain?

Probably not, but you could start with oxalic acid. Barkeeper's Friend
is a good source, or even a Stain Devil for cloth (you want the
bloodstains version, sometimes the inkstains version works too)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 10, 9:02 am, steamer wrote:
...... I left something
gluing up with a square in place to make sure it cured to an accurate angle.......

make yourself a set of assembly squares from plywood. drill large
holes in them to accommodate a clamp or 2. wrap the edges in clear
packing tape.