Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Match an older stain.

I need to replace a piece of molding around a door. The original
stain was "fruitwood", and is about 20 years old. I cut a piece of
molding to fit and stained it with minwax fruitwood, but the original
wood around the door is "orangier". Any ideas what I could do to
match it?

-Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

"jtpr" wrote in message
oups.com...
I need to replace a piece of molding around a door. The original
stain was "fruitwood", and is about 20 years old. I cut a piece of
molding to fit and stained it with minwax fruitwood, but the original
wood around the door is "orangier". Any ideas what I could do to
match it?

-Jim

Buy several small amounts of stain and blend, blend blend. Unless you know
the exact brand used originally the color is going to be hard to match.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Funny this question comes up now, Not more than an hour ago I had the same
problem, woodwork in bedroom that is more than 40 years old. the frames
around the windows are great but the moulding is all crapped up with various
layers of paints and holes. I took an original piece to Lowes and the girl
there matched it perfectly with an olympic stain.

Damn good thing, cause I didn't want to off shade too badly and I sure
didn't want to replace all the woodwork.

Searcher

Posted to rec.woodworking

Shopdog wrote:

Damn good thing, cause I didn't want to off shade too badly and I sure
didn't want to replace all the woodwork.

Quite often, single stains mixed to match old work don't stay matched.

Dyes and pigments fade, wood changes color, clearcoats amber...

Posted to rec.woodworking

geeze don't tell me that, it looks so good right now!

search

Posted to rec.woodworking

I use dies in color complements to tone down off colors. Get a color
wheel for reference. www.homesteadfinishing.com has designed some
liquid concentrate TransTint dyes in many colors as well as the three
primaries for fine tuning. Mix with lots of different vehicles and
are transparent. Great forums there also.