Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What Jointer?

I'm thinking of getting an 8" jointer, I want one with QC knives. I don't
see many out there with that option. The only one I saw with QC was the 6"
Powermatic 54A. Anyone have any good or bad experiences to share?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 8, 6:42 pm, "Chris" wrote:
I'm thinking of getting an 8" jointer, I want one with QC knives. I don't
see many out there with that option. The only one I saw with QC was the 6"
Powermatic 54A. Anyone have any good or bad experiences to share?

I think Powermatic has great quality control. How come you only want
quality control on the knives and not the whole jointer?

Posted to rec.woodworking

QC=Quick Change

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have a lot of Powermatic stuff & I like it. I'm just curious what my
options are. If Ridgid had a jointer with quick change knives, I'd be a bit
wary of it etc.
wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 8, 6:42 pm, "Chris" wrote:
I'm thinking of getting an 8" jointer, I want one with QC knives. I don't
see many out there with that option. The only one I saw with QC was the
6"
Powermatic 54A. Anyone have any good or bad experiences to share?

I think Powermatic has great quality control. How come you only want
quality control on the knives and not the whole jointer?

Posted to rec.woodworking

If you are willing to pay a preminum for quick-change, Why not consider the
one of the spiral models models with the 4-sided carbide cutters that you
rotate for a fresh edge. This is arguably a better solution to problem that
quick-change cutters solve.

For example:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0593

"Chris" wrote in message
I'm thinking of getting an 8" jointer, I want one with QC knives. I don't
see many out there with that option. The only one I saw with QC was the 6"
Powermatic 54A. Anyone have any good or bad experiences to share?

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've got the 54A and can definitely vouch for the quality and
precision of Powermatic. I would have went for the 8" version except
the tool had to be carried down a basement staircase with a jog in it.
(having a 6" forced me to acquire handplane skills for the few times I
needed to flatten a wider board, which is a good thing) I haven't had
to change knives yet so I can't speak about the QC feature. Whatever
you get make sure it's a long bed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chris wrote:

I'm thinking of getting an 8" jointer, I want one with QC knives. I
don't see many out there with that option.

Awhile back I was investigating Grizzly's jointers, but didn't wind
up buying one because I came across a good deal on a used jointer
through my local Craigslist. I just checked Grizzly's site and
their 8" models G0586[1] and G0490[2] both have the add-on option
of the "Dispoz-A-Blade"[3][4] system.

I have no idea if either of these jointers or their quick change
blades are any good. Just passing this on as an option you may
want to investigate.

[1]: http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0586
[2]: http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0490
[3]: http://www.grizzly.com/products/H5142
[4]: http://www.grizzly.com/products/H9154

remove ".invalid".
Posted to rec.woodworking

Chris wrote:
Anyone have any good or bad experiences to share?

I love my DJ-20, but sorry, no QC knives. I've also seen some bigger,
parallelogram Grizz machines locally that were well liked.

I find that a $30 magnetic dial indicator makes knife changes a simple
10 minute process. Smoothing the retainer bolt heads with a file
removes lots of frustration.

Just put the knife in with the jib screws lowered, lightly snug the
retainers, raise each end of the knife to a measured distance (from the
cutterhead, not the table), and tighten the retainers. Do the same,
using the same measurement, for the other two knives. If you check
measurement before removing the old knives, you may not even have to
touch the outfeed table. It takes more time to get out and put away the
tools than to do it, seriously!

Now if I could find a spiral cutterhead on the road shoulder... G
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 19:01:10 GMT, B A R R Y
wrote:

Chris wrote:
Anyone have any good or bad experiences to share?

I love my DJ-20, but sorry, no QC knives. I've also seen some bigger,
parallelogram Grizz machines locally that were well liked.

I find that a $30 magnetic dial indicator makes knife changes a simple
10 minute process. Smoothing the retainer bolt heads with a file
removes lots of frustration.

Just put the knife in with the jib screws lowered, lightly snug the
retainers, raise each end of the knife to a measured distance (from the
cutterhead, not the table), and tighten the retainers. Do the same,
using the same measurement, for the other two knives. If you check
measurement before removing the old knives, you may not even have to
touch the outfeed table. It takes more time to get out and put away the
tools than to do it, seriously!

Now if I could find a spiral cutterhead on the road shoulder... G

Hey Barry, Do you recall where you got your magnetic dial indicator.
I've got a DJ20 and looking for something that has been proven to work
well. Maybe not the best but it's a very fine jointer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I have owned a 54A for about three years and love it.

RonB

"Chris" wrote in message
I'm thinking of getting an 8" jointer, I want one with QC knives. I don't
see many out there with that option. The only one I saw with QC was the 6"
Powermatic 54A. Anyone have any good or bad experiences to share?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Phisherman wrote:

Hey Barry, Do you recall where you got your magnetic dial indicator.
I've got a DJ20 and looking for something that has been proven to work
well. Maybe not the best but it's a very fine jointer.

My indicator is a plain 'ol Asian import, with a switch on/off magnetic
base with arms.

Lee Valley, Highland, Woodcraft, Northern, and probably Harbor Freight
all sell them.