Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Considering a Jointer

I am torn between a small benchtop jointer or one like a Yorkcraft. One
consideration is that my shop is in the basement and I prefer take my tools
out on the patio to keep the dust down.

Do jointers make a lot of fine dust, or is it mostly chips? If it is dust,
I think a benchtop would be better, sincethe shop is in the same room as a
gas furnace. I could haul a benchtop outside.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Buck Turgidson wrote:
I am torn between a small benchtop jointer or one like a Yorkcraft. One
consideration is that my shop is in the basement and I prefer take my tools
out on the patio to keep the dust down.

Do jointers make a lot of fine dust, or is it mostly chips? If it is dust,
I think a benchtop would be better, sincethe shop is in the same room as a
gas furnace. I could haul a benchtop outside.

My is the Dewalt. It makes chips rather than dust.

--Steve
Posted to rec.woodworking

Buck Turgidson wrote:

Do jointers make a lot of fine dust, or is it mostly chips?

Chips.

SFWIW, A jointer gets to be a heavy beast in a hurry, you don't want
to move it very often.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I am torn between a small benchtop jointer or one like a Yorkcraft. One
consideration is that my shop is in the basement and I prefer take my tools
out on the patio to keep the dust down.

Do jointers make a lot of fine dust, or is it mostly chips? If it is
dust, I think a benchtop would be better, sincethe shop is in the same
room as a gas furnace. I could haul a benchtop outside.

Considering the comments about benchtop jointers and their limited
practicality, it is not a consideration for me. I'd certainly go with a
Yorkcraft. Not much dust, mostly chips. Can you get it out on a mobile
base?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Buck Turgidson wrote:
I am torn between a small benchtop jointer or one like a Yorkcraft. One
consideration is that my shop is in the basement and I prefer take my tools
out on the patio to keep the dust down.

Don't waste your money on a benchtop jointer. Buy the biggest heaviest beast
you can afford. I made the mistake of buying cheap and I now own my third
jointer. The first one was such a POS I had to give it away. The second one is
such a POS I can't find a buyer for it either. My third one is what I should
have bought in the first place.

Buy the Yorkcraft. Buy once, cry once. If you buy a benchtop jointer you'll
cry every time you try to use it.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have both, am selling the benchtop. the yorkcraft has a Mobil base built
in and if your going to joint anything longer than a couple feet you will so
much happier with a larger machine.Neither makes dust but lots of chips(the
yorkcraft has a built in chip port the benchtop doesn't. one other thing is
that the bench top jointers have a reputation for having warped beds and
fences made of aluminum and the yorkcraft has IRON (but you need to check
for flatness)

len

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have one I will give you to see what you think, it is about 30 years old,
been stored for a long time, but you are welcome to it if you live in the
area of North Georgia and you want to drive to this location to pick it up.
Before you would drive this for I would verify that the motor does run .
"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I am torn between a small benchtop jointer or one like a Yorkcraft. One
consideration is that my shop is in the basement and I prefer take my

tools
out on the patio to keep the dust down.

Do jointers make a lot of fine dust, or is it mostly chips? If it is

dust,
I think a benchtop would be better, sincethe shop is in the same room as a
gas furnace. I could haul a benchtop outside.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 21:22:17 -0500, "Buck Turgidson"
wrote:

I am torn between a small benchtop jointer or one like a Yorkcraft. One
consideration is that my shop is in the basement and I prefer take my tools
out on the patio to keep the dust down.

Do jointers make a lot of fine dust, or is it mostly chips? If it is dust,
I think a benchtop would be better, sincethe shop is in the same room as a
gas furnace. I could haul a benchtop outside.

Get a big jointer. DJ-20 or the like. No, you won't be moving it
around much. Chips, not dust.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Buck Turgidson wrote:

Do jointers make a lot of fine dust, or is it mostly chips? If it is
dust, I think a benchtop would be better, sincethe shop is in the
same room as a gas furnace. I could haul a benchtop outside.

Others have posted on the merits (or lack of) for a bench top model.
I own a 6" Delta, and have never owned a bench top model. If you
have the physical room, get a decent 6" or larger.

As to the issue of dust or chips, it's mostly chips. If you don't
all ready have one, you'll need some type of dust collector for the
jointer. A shop vac might work, but you can also get a small dust
collector that isn't very expensive or large from Harbor Freight[1],
Grizzly[2] or Woodcraft[3]. I've got the one from Harbor Freight
and it's been working great. With the DC connected up to the
jointer, it will get most of the chips produced for jointing
operations. If you use the jointer to make rabbets, you'll wind
up with chips all over the place, due to the operation taking place
at the very edge of the cutter head, such that chips tend to fly
out, instead of getting sucked down.

[1]: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=31810
[2]: http://www.grizzly.com/products/G1163
[3]: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=1956

remove ".invalid".
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Buck Turgidson" wrote:
I am torn between a small benchtop jointer or one like a Yorkcraft. One
consideration is that my shop is in the basement and I prefer take my tools
out on the patio to keep the dust down.

So get a dust collector.

Do jointers make a lot of fine dust, or is it mostly chips? If it is dust,
I think a benchtop would be better, sincethe shop is in the same room as a
gas furnace. I could haul a benchtop outside.

They make chips -- a *lot* of chips -- not dust -- and you don't want a
benchtop jointer. Get the Yorkcraft, or something similar, and a dust
collector, and leave it in the basement.

There are many reasons for moving your shop to a different part of the
basement, or building a wall between the furnace and the shop area. This is
one.

--
Regards,

Used Jointer [email protected] Woodworking 10 July 25th 06 02:40 AM
jointer Dr. Deb Woodworking 10 November 15th 05 10:15 PM
8" jointer or a combo jointer/planer machine? [email protected] Woodworking 1 March 13th 05 05:31 AM
Why do i need a jointer? Roger M. Woodworking 46 January 3rd 05 04:49 PM
Newer Ridgid jointer or older Craftsman jointer RobW Woodworking 5 November 5th 04 04:47 PM