Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Used Jointer

I have an option for a late 90's Jet 6" open stand jointer. It's a
blue one. A brand-new model is about $450. What should I pay for this
older model?

Thanks for any input.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an option for a late 90's Jet 6" open stand jointer. It's a
blue one. A brand-new model is about $450. What should I pay for this
older model?

Thanks for any input.

I'd start with a mental price of $225 and work up or down depending on
condition once you see it. .

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'd start with a mental price of $225

Thanks. They're asking in the $280 range and that appears to be too
high based on your and cm's assessment.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thank you, that's very helpful.

Posted to rec.woodworking

My point is even at 280 bucks you will end up with a machine that
should function as
well as a new 450 buck machine...and still have almost 200 bucks left
in the check book...

One thing I read in the archives is that Jet used to make junky stuff.
Then they improved their quality, THEN painted the stuff white. I'm a
little leery of getting the blue equipment before it was made better.
I don't know enough about jointers to be able to tell the difference.

At $280, though, I'd be more inclined to buy the Ridgid at $350.

Thanks for your input.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'd start with a mental price of $225 and work up or down depending
on condition once you see it. .

I ended up getting it for $200. From my inexperience eye, it seemed
in ok shape. Light surface rust that I think will come off easily,
but missing the blade guard.

Turns out the guy I was dealing with was a high school mate of mine.
He showed me how to work the unit (more or less) and offered me wood
scraps whenever I wanted (they build cabinetry). Probably a good
contact to have as I try to learn about this stuff.

Thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg Esres" wrote in message
I'd start with a mental price of $225 and work up or down depending
on condition once you see it. .

I ended up getting it for $200. From my inexperience eye, it seemed
in ok shape. Light surface rust that I think will come off easily,
but missing the blade guard.

Sounds like a winner at that price. Hope it works well for you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hello.

I just purchased a used Jet 6" gold closed stand with 4 sets of
jet knives, and a jet knife setting jig for $250. Yes, he knew what
it was, and it was meticuluosly cared for. he even gave me some
brass shims.

It is a very nice little joiner, well worth the money.