Posted to rec.woodworking

Default frustrating bandsaw problem

I've had a Grizzly G0555 with riser block for a few years now. All in all
I've had no problem with it. Being a weekend woodworker it doesn't get too
much use. I'm having an awful time getting a 3/16 blade to stay on the crown
of the tires. I use blades on up to 3/4 and have no problems but I can't
seem to get it to stay.

I'm figuring it's my technique of install and tension but no matter what I
try it fails. The wheels are coplanar and the tires are relatively new and
have no pits nor sawdust clogs.

What happens is I get it installed on the crown upper & lower and then begin
to tension. As I tension, the blade begins to move forward or back and I
adjust the tilt accordingly. However, in the moving forward or back the
blade gets off the crown of the lower tire. It takes quite a bit of
manipulating to finally get the tension just right at the point the blade is
crowned. After that, usually no problem, I can slice 1/4 slabs without
drift, etc. I just think that changing a blade should be a 5 minute job not
an hour.

Anyone have a solution short of selling the bandsaw

Thanx!

--
There are 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who
don't

Posted to rec.woodworking

Changed to a new blade - all is well. Old one must have had a problem - go
figure

"Vic Baron" wrote in message
t...
Yes - first thing I checked.

"CW" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Are the wheels in the same plane?

"Vic Baron" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 8, 5:51 pm, "Vic Baron" wrote:
Changed to a new blade - all is well. Old one must have had a problem - go
figure

"Vic Baron" wrote in message

t...

Yes - first thing I checked.

"CW" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Are the wheels in the same plane?

"Vic Baron" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

don't- Hide quoted text -

Yup, blade'll get you sometimes. When I got my G0555 new, did a very
short test with supplied 3/8" blade just to see it work, then
installed riser kit. Couldn't get the 105" blade that came with the
kit on the wheels! Called their tech support, they gave me the URL for
the tensioner upgrade, BUT also sent me a new blade. The original one
was just a tad too short.

Nahmie