Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Erk

Default Variable Speed Drill Press

I'm looking to buy a floor standing drill press, probably a Delta model.
They have two variable speed models, 17-925 and the 17-990X, where the speed
change is done by tuning a dial. These models are considerably more
expensive than the other models that require a belt change.

I've never used a drill press that requires belt changes (I've been using a
cheesy tabletop press which is more like a dressed up variable speed hand
drill), so I don't know if this is a real nuisance or not. Does anybody have
an opinion about the need for the convenience of a variable speed drill
press in the workshop of a woodworking hobbyist?

Also, besides the warranty, does anybody understand what the real
differences are between Delta's X5 series of tools and the seemingly
identical standard models? The online prices for the standard 925 model is
just below $1000 while the 990X model is about $750. The only difference I
can identify is the cosmetics of the press handle, and the cheaper one has a
longer warranty.

Thanks,
Ernie