CW

Default Variable Speed Drill Press

Why are you knocking yourself out with something difficult to make and you
won't be happy with anyway? Get yourself a sheet of MDF and make your
fixtures out of that. A couple of holes and you can bolt it right to the
drill press. If you really wanted to go to the trouble, you could make a sub
base that stayed on the drill press and you could make fixtures that would
index to the sub base. After initial setup, no alignment needed except when
you raised or lowered the table. T tracks and threaded inserts for hold
downs. Dowels and blocks for stops.
"Silvan" wrote in message
Rico wrote:

Interesting idea. You would need to turn the diameter of the
pipe to fit. I did a rough measurement on my HF 16 inch DP.
Schedule 80 1 1/2 inch pipe is 1.900 OD and has enough wall
thickness to be turned down to a nice fit. There are screw

Hmmm... 'Cept I don't have a lathe, and especially don't have a metal
lathe. I could do 1" pipe and wrap it with layer upon layer of airplane
tape until it just fits I guess. If I did a careful job, it might not be
too bad.

You're right about screw-on flanges, but the ones I've seen definitely
aren't made to a high tolerance, so they'd need to be machined flat on

top.
I might could do that with a carefully built jig and a belt sander.

Maybe I could turn the pipe with the remains of my treadmill belt sander

and
rig up some sort of tool rest so I could file down to a certain depth in a
controlled way, then move the rest down and repeat until enough material

is
gone to make it fly.

This sounds like a job for a machine shop though. Maybe I can hire a few
dozen done and sell'em.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 17304 Approximate word count: 519120