Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Poor customer service from Skil

The first cordless drill I ever bought was a 9.6 volt Skil. Worked
like a charm, but it was recalled and replaced with a 12 volt. It has
never held a charge well and is now dead. I did a little research and
found that Skil has had trouble with their chargers dying.

I e-mailed Skil about the problem and here was their response:
"Thank you for writing Skil Power Tools. All available parts and
accessories for Skil Power Tools can be ordered directly through our
parts office at 1.800.346.4103 (menu option 1). You will need to call
them directly to verify pricing and availability of the item. You may
place your order by phone and they will ship it directly to you.
Please write back if you have any other questions."

I called them and pointed out that dealers have even quit carrying the
chargers as replacements because they are so unreliable. All they
would do is tell me the price for a new one.

I'll never buy another Skil product.

Dick "disgruntled" Durbin

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'll never buy another Skil product.

You sound surprised! Skil is now clearly one of the cheaper power tool
brands, marketed towards light-duty homeowner types, not hard-using
construction types. (Note - they may once have been considered better
quality; don't know the age of your original drill...) If you want
durable tools, in almost all cases, you'll probably have to pay more
for them. Fortunately, the "real" tool brands are more likely to come
with more helpful customer service, but that's far from a given -
you'll probably want to find a reputable local tool dealer if you
really want solid service. Even though their prices will be higher
than Amazon or wherever else online, there ARE still some businesses
that believe in customer SERVICE.
If you're looking for another cordless drill, may I suggest a
Panasonic? They have some nice lightweight 12V models, and
everything I've seen (and experienced) suggests they're known for good
batteries and chargers.
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Andy wrote:

You sound surprised! Skil is now clearly one of the cheaper power tool
brands, marketed towards light-duty homeowner types, not hard-using
construction types.

A few years ago, the only reason S-B (Bosch) bought Skil was to get
the 77 Skil Saw.

Everything else was basically trash.

Today, Bosch has their own version of the 77.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5 Apr 2007 11:32:33 -0700, "Olebiker" wrote:

I'll never buy another Skil product.

Good. If you liked the products they sold a couple of years ago,
you'll hate the cheaply made downmarket junk they're peddling now. It's
a name you really should avoid.

I recently bought one of the last 666 1/2 sheet sanders to be had. Now
_that's_ a nice piece of kit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 5, 1:32 pm, "Olebiker" wrote:
[...]

Yep, even I know that Skil is crap. They still have their worm drive
saw that is the best but after that? Total junk.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Olebiker" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

This might be a good time to let you know that Craftsman, B&D and Ryobi in
general should be ruled out as a considered improvement in quality.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 5, 3:45 pm, "Andy" wrote:
I'll never buy another Skil product.

You sound surprised! Skil is now clearly one of the cheaper power tool
brands, marketed towards light-duty homeowner types, not hard-using
construction types. (Note - they may once have been considered better
quality; don't know the age of your original drill...) If you want
durable tools, in almost all cases, you'll probably have to pay more
for them. Fortunately, the "real" tool brands are more likely to come
with more helpful customer service, but that's far from a given -
you'll probably want to find a reputable local tool dealer if you
really want solid service.

The original drill was a pretty good tool and I bought it because it
was all I needed at the time. I also own a Porter Cable drill now
that is a substantial tool.

The thing that concerns me so much is that the same company that owns
Skil also owns Bosch. I own a couple of Bosch tools and consider them
the best tools I own. I would hesitate to buy another Bosch tool if
the parent company is willing to make a defective product (my Skil
drill) and then not stand behind it.

I want a second drill and will probably buy a Dewalt, PC, Panasonic,
or other quality drill.

Posted to rec.woodworking

The thing that concerns me so much is that the same company that owns
Skil also owns Bosch. I own a couple of Bosch tools and consider them
the best tools I own. I would hesitate to buy another Bosch tool if
the parent company is willing to make a defective product (my Skil
drill) and then not stand behind it.

I want a second drill and will probably buy a Dewalt, PC, Panasonic,
or other quality drill.

If it make you feel any better, I have had to call Bosch a few times about
my routers and they have been very helpful.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Olebiker wrote:

The thing that concerns me so much is that the same company that owns
Skil also owns Bosch.

SFWIW, the Bosch service here in SoCal has bent over backwards to help
me when ever I needed them.

BTW, it's the other way around, S-B (Bosch) owns Skill.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 5, 7:05 pm, "Leon" wrote:

This might be a good time to let you know that Craftsman, B&D and Ryobi in
general should be ruled out as a considered improvement in quality.

That's-a-for-sure. Yet, I have a Skil 918Cn 1/2 VS Drill that just
will NOT quit. Has to be 25 years old and still drives screws with no
complaints. Original brushes too.

I also have a B&D 1/4" router. All cast body, rack&pinion height
adjustment, just won't quit.

Those days are over for those 'brand' companies. It is weird, because
those two tools I mentioned above are as good as any 'good' brand
today.

Craftsman is clambering to get some cred back amongst the toolies...
that Bosch router, a Nikle nailer...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Olebiker" wrote in message
oups.com...

The thing that concerns me so much is that the same company that owns
Skil also owns Bosch.

The same company that owns Mercedes Benz owns Dodge.
That should be of no concern, the Skil, Bosch union took place several
years ago with no ill effects.

I own a couple of Bosch tools and consider them
the best tools I own. I would hesitate to buy another Bosch tool if
the parent company is willing to make a defective product (my Skil
drill) and then not stand behind it.

You are confusing how affiliated companies may run. While the company may
own both the two seperate businesses mostly operate independently.

I want a second drill and will probably buy a Dewalt, PC, Panasonic,
or other quality drill.

While you are happy with the PC drill, PC quality and reliability has not
done so well in recent years. You might want to leave PC out of your list
of considerations. You might also consider Makita and Milwaukee.
While I defend Bosch, I have personally broken every Bosch drill that I have
used, one was handed to me by a Bosch rep so that I could drive a couple of
screws. I told him about my luck with Bosch drills and boy did he have a
funny look on his face after the drill started making a grinding noise.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 5, 7:05 pm, "Leon" wrote:

This might be a good time to let you know that Craftsman, B&D and Ryobi
in
general should be ruled out as a considered improvement in quality.

That's-a-for-sure. Yet, I have a Skil 918Cn 1/2 VS Drill that just
will NOT quit. Has to be 25 years old and still drives screws with no
complaints. Original brushes too.

Oddly, and about 25 years ago, Skil made a small 3 volt palm sized driver
that looked like a small drill. I had 2 and loved them. I use those before
the cordless drills for wood working really hit the woodworking scene.

I also have a B&D 1/4" router. All cast body, rack&pinion height
adjustment, just won't quit.

Yup, I still have that one, and bought it in 1974 when I was 20.

Those days are over for those 'brand' companies. It is weird, because
those two tools I mentioned above are as good as any 'good' brand
today.

Yeah, they usta be in the "tools to look" at list.

Craftsman is clambering to get some cred back amongst the toolies...
that Bosch router, a Nikle nailer...

Yeah, they have had the Bosch for 5 or 6 years now IIRC, DeWalt butilt their
PlateJoiner and used to build their better drills.

BTY,
How are you liking that Craftsman pinner? I almost bought one but it is
strictly a cataloge item and I cannot look at one up close. I can get the
same model Nikle for $139. I have been doing some research and am also
considering the Grex. Apparently on some pinners you have to adjust the
magazine to the length of the pins and some pinners have a soft tip to help
prevent maring the surface.
I am also thinking that the longer pins might be handy for the odd trim jobs
where I some times, "next Tuesday", ;~) need to attach a piece of 1/2"
quarter round molding that is 8 or 9 inches long to the top of a column cap.
Apparently the Grex will shoot 1 3/16" and longer than depending on the
model.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 6, 8:54 am, "Leon" wrote:
"Olebiker" wrote in message

oups.com...

The thing that concerns me so much is that the same company that owns
Skil also owns Bosch.

The same company that owns Mercedes Benz owns Dodge.
That should be of no concern, the Skil, Bosch union took place several
years ago with no ill effects.

Have you looked at the reliability ratings for M-B lately? :-O

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 6, 9:22 am, "Leon" wrote:

BTY,
How are you liking that Craftsman pinner? I almost bought one but it is
strictly a cataloge item and I cannot look at one up close. I can get the
same model Nikle for $139. I have been doing some research and am also
considering the Grex. Apparently on some pinners you have to adjust the
magazine to the length of the pins and some pinners have a soft tip to help
prevent maring the surface.
I am also thinking that the longer pins might be handy for the odd trim jobs
where I some times, "next Tuesday", ;~) need to attach a piece of 1/2"
quarter round molding that is 8 or 9 inches long to the top of a column cap.
Apparently the Grex will shoot 1 3/16" and longer than depending on the
model.

I used the pinner during the assembly of a bunch of 5 piece cabinet
doors and a few 2 x 3 pane doors with small mullions. One little pin
from the back through the tenon of the cope, and it holds amazingly
well... till you get the clamps on. That was really handy. I milled my
stock just a bit under 13/16 and the 3/4" pins didn't poke through.
Now... having said all that, I now would probably buy a pinner with
longer nail capacity, as I can really see the use of that tool. The
pins have amazing holding power... but they won't 'suck' the pieces
together much.
I already have somebody in mind to buy my Craftsman/Nikle and I will
likely go to a Grex at that point.
I see that there are all kinds of 23 ga guns crawling out of the
woodwork at much better prices than when I bought mine. ( I also have
a $ 2000.00 macintosh with 128'K' of ram and an external $ 700.00(US)
5 MB hard drive.. it is in my museum. But I don't feel as bad as a
client of mine with a 42" plasma TV...he paid $ 10,000.00 for the
frickin' thing...oh well. I can wait.)

Grex or Ohmer for me ... maybe after The Domino....*nudge*, *nudge*

The Craftsman is serving me well for now.

PS.. the Porter Cable pinner is apparently working well for a few
people I know after they all ground 1/64"+ off the wood-contact tips
so the pins actually sink in now.

Oh.. and they ALL jam if you put the pins in upside-down..easily done,
btw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in

While I defend Bosch, I have personally broken every Bosch drill that I

have
used,

.... and at least one Bosch ROS too!

Just kidding ... that turned out to be a switch issue on a tool that had
seen some years of hard use.

I was a Makita fan for many years when it came to cordless drills, but I've
got to say that my DeWalt 18v XRP, going on it's sixth years of hard use,
has taken lessons from the Energizer Bunny.

My Bosch tools are some of the toughest I own, but was surprised to find
that my British SIL considered Bosch on the cheap tool side where he comes
from.

Go figure...

As for PC, I agree with you 100% ... the company is simply not producing the
quality of tool they did even five years ago, IME.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"ALF SCHUMWAY" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 6, 8:54 am, "Leon" wrote:
"Olebiker" wrote in message

oups.com...

Have you looked at the reliability ratings for M-B lately? :-O

Actually German cars in general have a bad rep these days. I went back to
Japanese after owning 2 German cars.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in

While I defend Bosch, I have personally broken every Bosch drill that I

have
used,

... and at least one Bosch ROS too!

You know how some people cannot wear electronic wrist watches? ;~)
The switch on one of my Bosch router failed the second day I had it. It
has been doing fine in the last 9 years. There is something about the
German built electrical switches. German cars typically have electrical
problems more often than others.

Just kidding ... that turned out to be a switch issue on a tool that had
seen some years of hard use.

;~)

I was a Makita fan for many years when it came to cordless drills, but
I've
got to say that my DeWalt 18v XRP, going on it's sixth years of hard use,
has taken lessons from the Energizer Bunny.

I had 2 DeWalts before my Makita's other than my 1983 Makita 7 volt right
angle drill. The battery finallly quit taking a charge last year. Yes,
that battery is now about 24 years old. ;~)

My Bosch tools are some of the toughest I own, but was surprised to find
that my British SIL considered Bosch on the cheap tool side where he comes
from.

I am not suprised, while Bosch is a pretty darn good brand I think Fein,
Festool, and AEG are probably better built.

Go figure...

As for PC, I agree with you 100% ... the company is simply not producing
the
quality of tool they did even five years ago, IME.

I only like their sanders, the "old style" sanders.

Did you get my e-mail?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
oups.com...

I used the pinner during the assembly of a bunch of 5 piece cabinet
doors and a few 2 x 3 pane doors with small mullions. One little pin
from the back through the tenon of the cope, and it holds amazingly
well... till you get the clamps on. That was really handy. I milled my
stock just a bit under 13/16 and the 3/4" pins didn't poke through.
Now... having said all that, I now would probably buy a pinner with
longer nail capacity, as I can really see the use of that tool. The
pins have amazing holding power... but they won't 'suck' the pieces
together much.

Yeah, only good for attaching but not pulling a bow out. ;~) I used
Swingman's Omer. Darn him. ;~) Sweeeeeet.

I already have somebody in mind to buy my Craftsman/Nikle and I will

likely go to a Grex at that point.
I see that there are all kinds of 23 ga guns crawling out of the
woodwork at much better prices than when I bought mine. ( I also have
a $ 2000.00 macintosh with 128'K' of ram and an external $ 700.00(US)
5 MB hard drive.. it is in my museum.

Yeah I can actually get the entry Grex for $129 shipped IIRC. I was
thinking it was $10 more.

But I don't feel as bad as a
client of mine with a 42" plasma TV...he paid $ 10,000.00 for the
frickin' thing...oh well. I can wait.)

Not to mention all the GLARE that the Plazma screens have. We bit the
bullet in August and got a 40" LCD for a lot less. ;~)

Grex or Ohmer for me ... maybe after The Domino....*nudge*, *nudge*

What's a Domino???? ;~)

The Craftsman is serving me well for now.

PS.. the Porter Cable pinner is apparently working well for a few
people I know after they all ground 1/64"+ off the wood-contact tips
so the pins actually sink in now.

Oh.. and they ALL jam if you put the pins in upside-down..easily done,

Yeah you only do that once. That is what caught my eye with the Grex, they
point out the jam clearing feature.

My Senco finish nail gun is quickly cleared of jams with out tools. Too bad
it hardly ever jams, last I recall was some time in 1999. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Actually German cars in general have a bad rep these days. I went

back to
Japanese after owning 2 German cars.

SFWIW, after 115,000 miles on my Tonka Toy, took it in for the start
of my 3rd set of tires and a front end alignment.

Left front was barely out of spec, right was still in spec.

Shop indicated they seldom see Japanese vehicles for routine maintenance.

Certainly could not say that about the VW's I've had.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 6, 4:15 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"ALF SCHUMWAY" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Apr 6, 8:54 am, "Leon" wrote:
"Olebiker" wrote in message

groups.com...

Have you looked at the reliability ratings for M-B lately? :-O

Actually German cars in general have a bad rep these days. I went back to
Japanese after owning 2 German cars.

Yabbut....yabbut...
Getting them 340 German ponies to the street via the Audi Quattro set-
up is a feeling one has to pay for.
0-60 in 5 seconds isn't bad... for a station wagon. AND 20 miles per
US gallon.
THEN for 3 years, no further expenses.
One phonecall, the car is gone from the driveway in the morning with a
new shiny one sitting there whilst the other is getting an oil change.
Sure, the S4 Avant wagon is smallish, but after one weekend, YOU just
TRY and keep that $ 48K in your pocket on Monday....LOL.

Anything high-strung is going to have issues, but if you want to talk
lousy reliability, there's always Jaguar.

There was a time when Bentley and Roll Royce were identical cars
except for the grille and the warranty.
the REAL rich bought Bentley's...cuz "if you're rich, who the hell
needs a warranty?"

Lately, those new Toyota FJ's have been catching my eye. I bought
Toyota LandCruiser new in '73 and '76, but I was going through a lot
of bush then to go fishing (sold that hobby when wife & I were making
babies)...I'm much older and more mature now....*snickering in my
fist*

But, like with powertools, sometimes you buy because of the dealership
too. I would never in a bazillion years, with a gun to my head, own a
Ford in this town. Same with Chevy and Caddilac.. yet I'd own a
Pontiac or a GMC in this town, all because of who is looking after
them.
The Volkswagen, Audi, Subaru, Volvo and Toyota dealers are pretty
good. BMW, Honda, Jaguar, not so much.
Fords and Chrysler products aren't a good bet any more, I mean WHO
will look after them when they are all tits-up?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
ups.com...

Yabbut....yabbut...
Getting them 340 German ponies to the street via the Audi Quattro set-
up is a feeling one has to pay for.
0-60 in 5 seconds isn't bad... for a station wagon. AND 20 miles per
US gallon.
THEN for 3 years, no further expenses.
One phonecall, the car is gone from the driveway in the morning with a
new shiny one sitting there whilst the other is getting an oil change.
Sure, the S4 Avant wagon is smallish, but after one weekend, YOU just
TRY and keep that $ 48K in your pocket on Monday....LOL.

How old is that Audi? My late model VW's had lots of parts with the Audi
logo under the hood. I know you hate to hear this but its kinda like a
Chevy Monte Carlo compared to a Buick Regal. A seperate class but deep down
the same car. Flame suit on.
Our 2000 Passat never missed a maintence trip to the dealer and it needed
both outer tie rod ends at 32,000 miles, a heater core at 49,000 miles, a
starter relay that left my wife stranded at 28,000 miles, a battery at
27,000 miles. Having been in the automotive profession and having been the
service sales manager for a large Olds dealership I know that does not fly.
As the old saying goes, GM vehicles run longer badly that other cars run at
all. LOL I prefer Japanese.

Anything high-strung is going to have issues, but if you want to talk
lousy reliability, there's always Jaguar.

Yup.

But then it was built by the country that built cars from Honda plans and
still screwed it up. Remember the Sterling/Honda?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote:

Anything high-strung is going to have issues, but if you want to talk
lousy reliability, there's always Jaguar.

Jaguar (AKA: Found On Road Dead)

When FoMoCo bought Jag, it had 35 man hours in per my source.

No wonder it was a dog.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
thlink.net...
"Robatoy" wrote:

Anything high-strung is going to have issues, but if you want to talk
lousy reliability, there's always Jaguar.

Jaguar (AKA: Found On Road Dead)

When FoMoCo bought Jag, it had 35 man hours in per my source.

No wonder it was a dog.

Lew

Actually long before Ford bought Jaguar, Jaguar was having big time engine
problems. Oddly, a Chevy V8 engine was the better choice as a direct bolt
up replacement engine for the Jag's as far back as the 70's IIRC.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

: "Olebiker" wrote in message
: oups.com...
:
: The thing that concerns me so much is that the same company that owns
: Skil also owns Bosch.

: The same company that owns Mercedes Benz owns Dodge.

And it's of interest that Mercedes cars are now quite unreliable, across the line.
(I'm not saying it's due to the Chrysler acquisition, just that
MB, once famous for terrific build quality, is apparently
down the slope some).

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

: "Olebiker" wrote in message
: oups.com...
:
: The thing that concerns me so much is that the same company that owns
: Skil also owns Bosch.

: The same company that owns Mercedes Benz owns Dodge.

And it's of interest that Mercedes cars are now quite unreliable, across
the line.
(I'm not saying it's due to the Chrysler acquisition, just that
MB, once famous for terrific build quality, is apparently
down the slope some).

-- Andy Barss

From what I have read, if it is German the reliability is not what it used
to be.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 5, 7:05 pm, "Leon" wrote:

This might be a good time to let you know that Craftsman, B&D and Ryobi

in
general should be ruled out as a considered improvement in quality.

That's-a-for-sure. Yet, I have a Skil 918Cn 1/2 VS Drill that just
will NOT quit. Has to be 25 years old and still drives screws with no
complaints. Original brushes too.

Geeze - I should hope so. A 1/2" drill motor for driving screws - it should
never die from that workload. Alas, what a shame that the same can't always
be said of what's out there today.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

"Robatoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 5, 7:05 pm, "Leon" wrote:

This might be a good time to let you know that Craftsman, B&D and

Ryobi
in
general should be ruled out as a considered improvement in quality.

That's-a-for-sure. Yet, I have a Skil 918Cn 1/2 VS Drill that just
will NOT quit. Has to be 25 years old and still drives screws with no
complaints. Original brushes too.

Oddly, and about 25 years ago, Skil made a small 3 volt palm sized driver
that looked like a small drill. I had 2 and loved them. I use those

before
the cordless drills for wood working really hit the woodworking scene.

Likewise, I have a 20 year old B&D stinger type chordless screw driver.
It's been a faithful servant all these years. The battery is showing its
age now and of course - no replacements available. It was handy for a lot
of smaller stuff like screwing in outlets, and for some other not so small
stuff.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
Oddly, a Chevy V8 engine was the better choice as a direct bolt up
replacement engine for the Jag's as far back as the 70's IIRC.

Should bolt in. They used GM transmissions.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
et...

"Leon" wrote in message
Oddly, a Chevy V8 engine was the better choice as a direct bolt up
replacement engine for the Jag's as far back as the 70's IIRC.

Should bolt in. They used GM transmissions.

DOH!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
Likewise, I have a 20 year old B&D stinger type chordless screw driver.
It's been a faithful servant all these years. The battery is showing its
age now and of course - no replacements available. It was handy for a lot
of smaller stuff like screwing in outlets, and for some other not so small
stuff.

Before pitching it you might consider contacting a battery rebuilder and see
if they will rebuild it.