Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Redwood Alternative

I have an outdoor project where the plan calls for 2"x8"x8' Redwood.
The final project will be painted.

My local lumber yard only had 1"x6" Redwood and I will try another
place this weekend.

If they don't have the Redwood, what should be my next alternative?

Thanks,
Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article om, "Dave" wrote:
I have an outdoor project where the plan calls for 2"x8"x8' Redwood.
The final project will be painted.

My local lumber yard only had 1"x6" Redwood and I will try another
place this weekend.

If they don't have the Redwood, what should be my next alternative?

Kinda hard to answer that without knowing what the project is... Other readily
available, naturally rot-resistant woods are cedar and cypress. Treated pine
also is rot-resistant, although prone to warp. Of course, if you're painting
it, you don't really need rot resistance, unless part of it is going in the
ground. What are you building?

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5 Apr 2007 05:28:24 -0700, "Dave" wrote:

I have an outdoor project where the plan calls for 2"x8"x8' Redwood.
The final project will be painted.

My local lumber yard only had 1"x6" Redwood and I will try another
place this weekend.

If they don't have the Redwood, what should be my next alternative?

Thanks,
Dave

Depends on what the project is. In most cases I personally would use
pressure treated lumber. Others seem to think that this stuff is a
plague from the devil. Other options include cypress, locust, western
red ceder etc. all of which are rot resistant, which I assume is the
reason for the redwood for something being painted.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 5, 9:20 am, Dave Hall wrote:
On 5 Apr 2007 05:28:24 -0700, "Dave" wrote:

I have an outdoor project where the plan calls for 2"x8"x8' Redwood.
The final project will be painted.

My local lumber yard only had 1"x6" Redwood and I will try another
place this weekend.

If they don't have the Redwood, what should be my next alternative?

Thanks,
Dave

Depends on what the project is. In most cases I personally would use
pressure treated lumber. Others seem to think that this stuff is a
plague from the devil. Other options include cypress, locust, western
red ceder etc. all of which are rot resistant, which I assume is the
reason for the redwood for something being painted.

It is just a mailbox post project. The main construction will be 3/4"
and 1/2" MDO that will be mounted on a PT 4x4 into the ground.

The Redwood is to be used for a curving brace between the vertical
post and the mailbox. It will also be used for the cap, a turned
finial, some mouldings, and some edge banding on the exposed plywood.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com, "Dave" wrote:

It is just a mailbox post project. The main construction will be 3/4"
and 1/2" MDO that will be mounted on a PT 4x4 into the ground.

The Redwood is to be used for a curving brace between the vertical
post and the mailbox. It will also be used for the cap, a turned
finial, some mouldings, and some edge banding on the exposed plywood.

If it's going to be painted anyway, why not just use poplar?

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5 Apr 2007 08:36:47 -0700, "Dave" wrote:

[...]

Since none of the items mentioned are going to touch the ground or
tend to stay wet, the rot resistance is less important so I would give
serious consideration to standard 1x6 construction lumber (pine) or at
best standard 1x6 western red cedar. I certainly would not go for
anything higher level than that. The pine can be had anywhere. Western
red may require an actual lumber store instead of HD or Lowes.

Dave Hall
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 5, 12:38 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:

If it's going to be painted anyway, why not just use poplar?

--
Regards,

I do have Poplar on hand, so that is an option. Looking online, I have
not found good things about Poplar when used for an exterior
application.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:

It is just a mailbox post project. The main construction will be 3/4"
and 1/2" MDO that will be mounted on a PT 4x4 into the ground.

The Redwood is to be used for a curving brace between the vertical
post and the mailbox. It will also be used for the cap, a turned
finial, some mouldings, and some edge banding on the exposed plywood.

Sounds almost like the NYW project Norm did a few years ago.

If you truly want redwood, use a couple of 1x6 pieces half lapped
together and glued with epoxy for the widest items.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com, "Dave" wrote:
On Apr 5, 12:38 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:

If it's going to be painted anyway, why not just use poplar?

I do have Poplar on hand, so that is an option. Looking online, I have
not found good things about Poplar when used for an exterior
application.

In the Midwest, it used to be widely used for exterior trim, back when they
were building houses out of real wood. As long as it's kept painted, it does
pretty well.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote in news:uhbRh.19830$tD2.10780
@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Sounds almost like the NYW project Norm did a few years ago.

I did see that show back then and this is the idea that I am working from.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have an outdoor project where the plan calls for 2"x8"x8' Redwood.
The final project will be painted.

My local lumber yard only had 1"x6" Redwood and I will try another
place this weekend.

If they don't have the Redwood, what should be my next alternative?

Thanks,
Dave

How about Cedar. For many many years Cedar was used for exterior trim on
new homes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

How about Cedar. For many many years Cedar was used for exterior trim on
new homes.

You're right ... and it still is. I used Western red cedar a few days ago to
trim out a garage door opening on a new home. Takes paint much nicer than PT
stuff (which in 1x "trim" these days looks more like pretzels than wood most
of the time), and will last longer, IME.

.... or you can stain it to mimic a few different woods.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Redwood Siding Dust Boy Home Repair 3 August 13th 06 02:51 AM
Redwood Siding Dust Boy Woodworking 0 August 12th 06 04:11 PM
Redwood Deck Corinne Home Repair 5 June 26th 06 07:19 AM
Pallet Wood Recycling (was; Alternative Furnishing Ideas 2 [Was; ' alternative furnishing ideas?']) Warm Worm Woodworking 5 May 23rd 06 04:02 AM
How to age Redwood SonomaProducts.com Woodworking 2 June 3rd 05 05:07 AM