Posted to rec.woodworking

Default low-clearance drill needed

I just finished a TV cabinet for a client. Now she wants glass doors
added.

I have the doors and associated hardware on order. The hinges will mount
in plastic pivots that sit in holes drilled into the face frame. The holes
will need to be VERY close to the corner of the opening. I wish I could
have drilled these before final assembly and painting. Oh, well....

Can anyone recommend a tool for drilling holes very close to a
perpendicular surface?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Can anyone recommend a tool for drilling holes very close to a
perpendicular surface?

What about a flex shaft like this?
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...r=flex%20drill
It looks like it's primarily for driving screws, but I imagine if you
had a hex shank drill bit, and kept it fairly slow, you could drill up
very close to another surface.
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Andy" wrote in news:1175222604.291158.10670
@b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

Can anyone recommend a tool for drilling holes very close to a
perpendicular surface?

What about a flex shaft like this?
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...r=flex%20drill
It looks like it's primarily for driving screws, but I imagine if you
had a hex shank drill bit, and kept it fairly slow, you could drill up
very close to another surface.
Good luck,
Andy

Great suggestion! I'll go to Rockler tomorrow.

At $7, I can't go wrong. I spend all day using my drill, so I'm sure I'll
find lots of other uses.

Thanks,
Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve wrote:
: I just finished a TV cabinet for a client. Now she wants glass doors
: added.

: I have the doors and associated hardware on order. The hinges will mount
: in plastic pivots that sit in holes drilled into the face frame. The holes
: will need to be VERY close to the corner of the opening. I wish I could
: have drilled these before final assembly and painting. Oh, well....

: Can anyone recommend a tool for drilling holes very close to a
: perpendicular surface?

Yes. It's called a push drill, and works great for exactly this application.
Used to be a common tool -- you might dig one up in an antiques mall, or
from an oldtools dealer. I think either Lee valley or Woodcraft had a new one recently but I'm
not positive.

-- Andy barss
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve wrote:
I just finished a TV cabinet for a client. Now she wants glass doors
added.

I have the doors and associated hardware on order. The hinges will mount
in plastic pivots that sit in holes drilled into the face frame. The holes
will need to be VERY close to the corner of the opening. I wish I could
have drilled these before final assembly and painting. Oh, well....

Can anyone recommend a tool for drilling holes very close to a
perpendicular surface?

You might look at a "flexible drill extension". I DAGed that and came up
with several possibilities. Here's one:
http://www.vermontamerican.com/Produ...190983&I=70704

mahalo,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve wrote in news:Xns9902CDA085E7184365720018436572@
66.250.146.128:

I just finished a TV cabinet for a client. Now she wants glass doors
added.

I have the doors and associated hardware on order. The hinges will mount
in plastic pivots that sit in holes drilled into the face frame. The holes
will need to be VERY close to the corner of the opening. I wish I could
have drilled these before final assembly and painting. Oh, well....

Can anyone recommend a tool for drilling holes very close to a
perpendicular surface?

I knew there had to be some tool out there, but I was at a loss. Thanks to
everyone who helped.

I'm gonna go with the flex extension for my drill. I found some good-quality
ones at the stores, and I'll pick one of those. It will even be handy for
other jobs.

I posted a picture of the cabinet in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking, but
the glass doors aren't on yet. They're on order, and installation will have
to wait awhile. I just had rotator cuff surgery, and therapy doesn't even
start for another week.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 29, 9:12 pm, Steve wrote:
I just finished a TV cabinet for a client. Now she wants glass doors
added.

I have the doors and associated hardware on order. The hinges will mount
in plastic pivots that sit in holes drilled into the face frame. The holes
will need to be VERY close to the corner of the opening. I wish I could
have drilled these before final assembly and painting. Oh, well....

Can anyone recommend a tool for drilling holes very close to a
perpendicular surface?

A first class adaptor:
http://www.absolutehome.com/web/cata...aspx?pid=68246
With a driver-shank drill bit, that tool has made mt life a lot
easier.
I also have a proper angle drill, but this little tool is a lot
cheaper.