Posted to rec.woodworking
Andrew Barss Andrew Barss is offline

Default low-clearance drill needed

Steve wrote:
: I just finished a TV cabinet for a client. Now she wants glass doors
: added.

: I have the doors and associated hardware on order. The hinges will mount
: in plastic pivots that sit in holes drilled into the face frame. The holes
: will need to be VERY close to the corner of the opening. I wish I could
: have drilled these before final assembly and painting. Oh, well....

: Can anyone recommend a tool for drilling holes very close to a
: perpendicular surface?

Yes. It's called a push drill, and works great for exactly this application.
Used to be a common tool -- you might dig one up in an antiques mall, or
from an oldtools dealer. I think either Lee valley or Woodcraft had a new one recently but I'm
not positive.

-- Andy barss