Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ping Leon - PC Speedbloc clamps (again)

"Leuf" wrote in message
Okay so I originally thought it was working fine with just one of the
clamps, but that was just on small stuff, smaller than the pad itself.
When I tried it on a larger board it had a mind of its own, running
around uncontrollably. So I ordered two replacement rods which got
delivered today.

Having now spent an hour and a half trying to reassemble the damn
thing... HELP! You probably don't remember exactly how you did it,
but any pointers would be appreciated. I can get one side of the
spring engaged properly, but never come close to getting the other
side, much less then get the rod through the hole on the other side
without the whole thing flying apart. How the heck did you do it?

-Leuf

Leuf, as it recall I had to really watch the position that I had my mouth in
while cursing very loudly.

I really don't recall however it was difficult and vowed never to do it
again.

I recall using a combination of thin flat blade screw drivers to position
the pin to go through the holes and needle point pliers, and a hammer. I
would pry up on the rod to lift it past the indentations.

This probably explains why PC sells the whole pad assembly, IIRC about $40,
6 or 7 years ago.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 20:25:24 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"Leuf" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I didn't see anything like that. The PC site links to
dewaltservicenet.com, where you then get to find the parts diagram and
then you can put in the part numbers you want.

I'd be perfectly fine with the clamp not actually working, just having
the right weight on there to make it happy. But the only way I got
that to happen was to put the spring in backwards, and then it was so
loose I wouldn't dare turn it on like that.

I tried to make a metal plate with a notch in it that would allow me
to bend back both sides of the spring at once, but I couldn't get it
to go far enough. I think the tabs need to be curved for that to
work. You know they have a tool for doing this at the factory that
takes 5 seconds to do...

Grrrr...

-Leuf

Speedbloc paper clamp broke (ping Leon) Leuf Woodworking 7 March 10th 07 03:34 AM
Ping: Leon. Robatoy Woodworking 4 May 26th 06 12:26 PM
Ping Leon. stoutman Woodworking 16 March 2nd 06 05:13 AM
PING - Leon J T Woodworking 3 January 2nd 06 04:29 AM
Ping: Leon David Woodworking 1 June 23rd 05 12:35 AM