Posted to rec.woodworking
Ben Ben is offline

Default Book recommendations

What are the THREE books that have been the most useful to you in your
woodworking pursuits?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ben wrote:

What are the THREE books that have been the most useful to you in your
woodworking pursuits?

Not a purist, simply a hacker and amateur boat builder.

Fred Bingham's, Practical Yacht Joinery, suits me fine.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Ben" wrote in message
ups.com...
What are the THREE books that have been the most useful to you in your
woodworking pursuits?

I have a bookshelf full of woodworking books and it would be hard to say
which I find most useful. It depends on what sort of project I'm
undertaking.
There is one book I have found to be indispensable: the Checkbook.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

First one isn't a book,
Second one I don't own,
Third one you can't buy.

Shopnotes
Good book on Finishing
Common Sense

Not trying to be a smart ass either, but those, plus the help of the
group, is pretty much all I need for the woodworking I do. Google also
tops the list.

On 27 Mar 2007 18:15:14 -0700, "Ben" wrote:

What are the THREE books that have been the most useful to you in your
woodworking pursuits?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 27 Mar 2007 18:15:14 -0700, "Ben" wrote:

What are the THREE books that have been the most useful to you in your
woodworking pursuits?

DeCristofero's Complete Book of Wood Joinery

Tolpin's "Measure Twice, Cut Once"

David Pye's "The Nature and Esthetics of Design"

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 27, 9:15 pm, "Ben" wrote:
What are the THREE books that have been the most useful to you in your
woodworking pursuits?

1.) The Complete Book of Woodworking: Detailed Plans for More Than 40
Fabulous Projects
at Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/yvb6or
Probably won't become a woodworking classic, but this single book is
one of the primary things that got me in to woodworking. Good intro
to wood, tools, and techniques, plus some plans for basic projects.
I built the step stool and haven't looked back! Lee Valley has a
newer version with some different projects.

2.) Google.com
obviously not a book, but I've probably learned more from the web than
any other single source. First place I tend to look is the archives
here, and highlandhardware.com has a BUNCH of helpful pdf articles in
their "library" section. Other than that, a variety of sites by
professional and amateur woodworkers, manufacturers or retailers,
reviewers, and whatever else turns up in a given search.

3.) Understanding Wood Finishing by Bob Flexner
http://tinyurl.com/2la5yt
Finishing is an important part of every project, and this book does a
great job of explaining what's really going on with the different
types of finish, as well as how to apply them.

Honorable mention: (I'd consider the following excellent books, but
some are more specific, or maybe they just don't quite make my top 3)

The Custom Furniture Sourcebook: A Guide to 125 Craftsmen
http://tinyurl.com/2g9t84
Not a how-to book by any means, but it sure is fun to look through -
great sources of inspiration in a variety of styles.

Japanese Woodworking Tools: Their Tradition, Spirit, and Use by
Toshio Odate
Again, not a lot of how-to stuff, but it is a fascinating read.

The Workbench Book by Scott Landis
Woodworking Tools Catalog by Lee Valley
Band Saw Handbook by Mark Duginske
The Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture and Cabinet Construction
by Andy Rae
Mission Oak and Cherry Collection (recent catalog) by Stickley

Thanks - I'm curious to see others' lists,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 28 Mar, 02:15, "Ben" wrote:
What are the THREE books that have been the most useful
to you in your woodworking pursuits?

Tage Frid

Hoadley's "Understanding Wood"

One of my furniture history books, such as Charles Hayward's.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 27, 9:15 pm, "Ben" wrote:
What are the THREE books that have been the most useful to you in your
woodworking pursuits?

SIMPLIFIED ELECTRICAL WIRING
Author: Sears?
http://www.tbellsbooks.com/si/10-30002557.html

WOODSHOP JIGS AND FIXTURES
Author: NAGYSZALANCZY, SANDOR
http://www.woodworkerslibrary.com/pr...6&cat=0&page=1

THE WORKBENCH
Author: Schleining, Lon
http://www.woodworkerslibrary.com/pr...7&cat=0&page=1

Even though the first book has nothing to do with wood except maybe
how to drill through it and run a fish tape you can't have a workspace
without knowing how to run outlets and install lights.

If Magazines count I would add Wood Magazine.

Why THREE books?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 27, 9:15 pm, "Ben" wrote:
What are the THREE books that have been the most useful to you in your
woodworking pursuits?

I have an extensive book collection, mostly because I had been writing
a book review column for Canadian Woodworking for a while and
publishers provided books to me for review.

The ones I value the most are the ones about tuning and using tools,
particularly for the Router, which is the most versatile tool in the
shop (Router Magic tops that list)

Others include the following:

Identifying Wood and Understanding Wood by R. Bruce Hoadley

The Complete Illustrated Guide to Joinery and Shaping Wood, published
by Taunton

The Fine Art of Cabinetmaking by James Krenov - a great read by a
master.

The Fine Art of Tools - published by Taunton - truly eyecandy for
woodworkers

Of course, the problem with any list is that it not only leaves off a
huge number of other great books, it probably won't reflect your own
interests. I also have great books on carving, woodturning and really
intersting project books, such as "Marvelous Transforming Toys.

Finally, the best 'book' on my shelf is the annual Lee Valley Tools
catalog!

Michel
www.woodstoneproductions.com
Wood Portal

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ben wrote:

What are the THREE books that have been the most useful to you in your
woodworking pursuits?

1. Encyclopedia of Furniture Making

2. Understanding*Wood*Finishing

3. The Complete Guide to Sharpening

--
It's turtles, all the way down

Posted to rec.woodworking

I think every would love to have this book in their collection:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...D2Y5TUCCVJ7DGE

It'll be out in about a week or two. Full disclosu I worked on this
book, as did other Wreck regulars including Charlie Self and AJ Hamler (the
editor of this particular volume).

Lee

_________________________________
Lee Gordon
http://www.leegordonproductions.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Forgive me if this is given knowledge, but why "Collins"?

-- Kurt
Posted to rec.woodworking

Forgive me if this is given knowledge, but why "Collins"?

Because the publisher is Harper Collins.

Lee

_________________________________
Lee Gordon
http://www.leegordonproductions.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ben wrote:

What are the THREE books that have been the most useful to you in your
woodworking pursuits?

Broad area this woodworking thing - solid wood furniture, ply and
face
frame cabinets, turning, carving, sculpture, . . . Then there's hand
tools
vs power tools, maintenance, sharpening, . . .

For solid wood furniture making

Krenov - any of his books - for an aproach to furniture making
Encylcopedia of Furniture Making - to understand what the parts
are and what they do - especially the stuff you don't see from
the outside
Di Cristafora's book on joinery - being aware of a couple hundred
ways to hold two pieces of wood together gives you options
once you've decided what you're going to make

For play and face frame

Loaned my copy so I'm not sure of the name or author but
it's in a 3 ring binder. Has drawings of standard cabinets
and drawer units, with parts list, cuts layout, assembly order
and tips on making things easier

Router Magic - routers make this type of work easier

Turning

Anything by Richard Raffan

Carving

Anything by Nora Hall