Funky Space Cowboy

Default Book recommendations please...

Howdy all!

I'm new to woodworking and as some of you may remember from my earlier
post about my first completed project (the cedar coffee table) I'm living
in a handtool only world.

With that in mind I'm looking for book recommendations anyone has for
someone looking to learn how to do many common woodworking tasks with
handtools. I'm thinking of things like basic joinery, chisel work,
planing, sanding, squaring stock and making straight, smooth cuts with
different types of handsaws. Bonus points for anything that
contains info on stock selection, finishing and tool maintenance as well.
Ideally I'd like a book (or books) that takes a learn by doing approach,
preferably with lessons that lead to the creation of interesting or useful
items.

I know I could find a big list of woodworking books on Amazon but it's
hard to pick the wheat from the chaff when you're a novice, so I figured I
ask here first to see if any the other handtool users have any choice
reading material that they could recommend. I'm to other instructional
materials as well, tapes, DVD's etc... Hell if you can think of anything
that should be required reading for any woodworkers I'm open to any advice
you have to give!

Cheers,

Josh
Unquestionably Confused

Funky Space Cowboy wrote:
Howdy all!

I'm new to woodworking and as some of you may remember from my earlier
post about my first completed project (the cedar coffee table) I'm living
in a handtool only world.

[snip]

I know I could find a big list of woodworking books on Amazon but it's
hard to pick the wheat from the chaff when you're a novice, so I figured I
ask here first to see if any the other handtool users have any choice
reading material that they could recommend. I'm to other instructional
materials as well, tapes, DVD's etc... Hell if you can think of anything
that should be required reading for any woodworkers I'm open to any advice
you have to give!

Books and writing styles can be such a subjective thing, it's really
hard to recommend (at least for me) such books.

My suggestion to you would be to hit the library either in your hometown
or a larger nearby town or city. Look and see what they have on the
shelves, check a few out (literally)and take them home to check out
(figuratively).

When you find one you like, buy it and keep it on your reference shelf.

One of the first books I bought probably 30+ years ago - after checking
it out from the library - was "Cabinetmaking and Millwork" by John
Feirer. It's still available and can be had as a used hardcover for as
little as $2.95, new for around $35 in the more recent edition.

Did a quick Google search and found, as one example:

http://www.alibris.com/search/books/...er,%20John%20L

Many of the Fine Woodworking books (Taunton Press) offer excellent
insight into hand tool craftsmanship. In particular, look for Tage
Frid's 3 volume series. Instructional, these books are classics.

Again, hit the library before you buy. Don't overlook inter-library
loan for these books if you're in a smaller library, they can and will
get you books from all over the country.

Bruce Barnett

Unquestionably Confused writes:

Many of the Fine Woodworking books (Taunton Press) offer excellent
insight into hand tool craftsmanship. In particular, look for Tage
Frid's 3 volume series. Instructional, these books are classics.

These were one of the first books I got, and I also found them helpful.

Conan The Librarian

Funky Space Cowboy wrote:

Howdy all!

I'm new to woodworking and as some of you may remember from my earlier
post about my first completed project (the cedar coffee table) I'm living
in a handtool only world.

With that in mind I'm looking for book recommendations anyone has for
someone looking to learn how to do many common woodworking tasks with
handtools. I'm thinking of things like basic joinery, chisel work,
planing, sanding, squaring stock and making straight, smooth cuts with
different types of handsaws. Bonus points for anything that
contains info on stock selection, finishing and tool maintenance as well.
Ideally I'd like a book (or books) that takes a learn by doing approach,
preferably with lessons that lead to the creation of interesting or useful
items.

I'd recommend Aldren Watson's _Handtools: Their Ways and Workings_.
It's got good pictures and covers a wide range of tools with basic
instructions on their use.

Check it out on Amazon, as the listing has one of those "search
inside" features so you can look at the table of contents and index to
see if it appeals to you.

Chuck Vance
Lowell Holmes

"Funky Space Cowboy" wrote in message
news
Howdy all!

I'm new to woodworking and as some of you may remember from my earlier
post about my first completed project (the cedar coffee table) I'm living
in a handtool only world.

With that in mind I'm looking for book recommendations anyone has for
someone looking to learn how to do many common woodworking tasks with
handtools. I'm thinking of things like basic joinery, chisel work,
snip

Josh

If your in Texas, check the following site. They offer basic courses that
will jump start your effort, for not much cost. If in another state, look
for similar programs.

http://www.homesteadheritage.com/index.html