Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Joint compound or plaster

I have a buildt-in bookcase with a 1/2" ply back that [nearly] meets
up with a wall that is slanted in at the top at 45 degrees. The back
of the case and the wall are painted with the same flat wall paint. I
want to put a cove at the junction of the plywood and drywall,
probably with a 2-3" radius. That means that the material I build the
cove out of will be up to 3/8" thick. I have both plaster of paris and
drywall joint compound. Which should I use and why?

PS: A molding strip is out--I want to camouflage this intersection,
not highlight it.

PPS: I guess that Lew is going to suggest epoxy with microbubbles. How
hard would that be versus plaster or mud, and what would be the
advantages?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Markem wrote:

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 20:58:29 -0400, alexy wrote:

I have a buildt-in bookcase with a 1/2" ply back that [nearly] meets
up with a wall that is slanted in at the top at 45 degrees. The back
of the case and the wall are painted with the same flat wall paint. I
want to put a cove at the junction of the plywood and drywall,
probably with a 2-3" radius. That means that the material I build the
cove out of will be up to 3/8" thick. I have both plaster of paris and
drywall joint compound. Which should I use and why?

Neither a flexible paintable caulk, it will not crack as joint
compound or plaster will.

How would I get a good surface on that? This "fairing" will be a
little over 2" wide if I go with a 3" radius. That's a LOT of caulk.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 20:58:29 -0400, alexy wrote:

I have a buildt-in bookcase with a 1/2" ply back that [nearly] meets
up with a wall that is slanted in at the top at 45 degrees. The back
of the case and the wall are painted with the same flat wall paint. I
want to put a cove at the junction of the plywood and drywall,
probably with a 2-3" radius. That means that the material I build the
cove out of will be up to 3/8" thick. I have both plaster of paris and
drywall joint compound. Which should I use and why?

Neither a flexible paintable caulk, it will not crack as joint
compound or plaster will.

Mark
http://home.mchsi.com/~xphome/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 21:23:53 -0400, alexy wrote:

Markem wrote:

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 20:58:29 -0400, alexy wrote:

I have a buildt-in bookcase with a 1/2" ply back that [nearly] meets
up with a wall that is slanted in at the top at 45 degrees. The back
of the case and the wall are painted with the same flat wall paint. I
want to put a cove at the junction of the plywood and drywall,
probably with a 2-3" radius. That means that the material I build the
cove out of will be up to 3/8" thick. I have both plaster of paris and
drywall joint compound. Which should I use and why?

Neither a flexible paintable caulk, it will not crack as joint
compound or plaster will.

How would I get a good surface on that? This "fairing" will be a
little over 2" wide if I go with a 3" radius. That's a LOT of caulk.

A wood cove moulding, caulk to fill a small gap at the wall? If you
want a plaster cove attach it to the wall but not the bookcase, caulk
the joint at the bookcase. How you make plaster cove, I've seen it
done but am not going to attempt it.

Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

alexy wrote:
I have a buildt-in bookcase with a 1/2" ply back that [nearly] meets
up with a wall that is slanted in at the top at 45 degrees. The back
of the case and the wall are painted with the same flat wall paint. I
want to put a cove at the junction of the plywood and drywall,
probably with a 2-3" radius. That means that the material I build the
cove out of will be up to 3/8" thick. I have both plaster of paris and
drywall joint compound. Which should I use and why?

Use both. Do the first coat with the plaster of paris (which is
basically what setting type joint compound is)over fiberglass tape and
then use the premixed joint compound for the finish coat(s).

Why? Plaster will shrink less and dry harder. Joint compound shrinks
more, but sands easier.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 20:58:29 -0400, alexy wrote:

I have a buildt-in bookcase with a 1/2" ply back that [nearly] meets
up with a wall that is slanted in at the top at 45 degrees. The back
of the case and the wall are painted with the same flat wall paint. I
want to put a cove at the junction of the plywood and drywall,
probably with a 2-3" radius. That means that the material I build the
cove out of will be up to 3/8" thick. I have both plaster of paris and
drywall joint compound. Which should I use and why?

PS: A molding strip is out--I want to camouflage this intersection,
not highlight it.

PPS: I guess that Lew is going to suggest epoxy with microbubbles. How
hard would that be versus plaster or mud, and what would be the
advantages?

Plaster or joint compound will crack. Bookcases have a tendency to
move around a little. I'd use a wooden cove painted the same color
with paintable caulk. The caulk can flex a small amount which is what
you want.

Joint compound over paint? MattMika Home Repair 2 May 24th 06 01:09 AM
joint treatment compound youbet2k3 Home Repair 1 April 19th 06 02:56 PM
joint compound mo Home Repair 5 April 8th 06 01:44 PM
Will joint compound stick to plywood? Ted Home Repair 2 April 6th 06 02:16 AM
Pipe joint compound jim rozen Metalworking 20 November 25th 03 06:34 PM