Posted to rec.woodworking
Markem Markem is offline

Default Joint compound or plaster

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 21:23:53 -0400, alexy wrote:

Markem wrote:

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 20:58:29 -0400, alexy wrote:

I have a buildt-in bookcase with a 1/2" ply back that [nearly] meets
up with a wall that is slanted in at the top at 45 degrees. The back
of the case and the wall are painted with the same flat wall paint. I
want to put a cove at the junction of the plywood and drywall,
probably with a 2-3" radius. That means that the material I build the
cove out of will be up to 3/8" thick. I have both plaster of paris and
drywall joint compound. Which should I use and why?

Neither a flexible paintable caulk, it will not crack as joint
compound or plaster will.

How would I get a good surface on that? This "fairing" will be a
little over 2" wide if I go with a 3" radius. That's a LOT of caulk.

A wood cove moulding, caulk to fill a small gap at the wall? If you
want a plaster cove attach it to the wall but not the bookcase, caulk
the joint at the bookcase. How you make plaster cove, I've seen it
done but am not going to attempt it.

Mark