Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? CLXII

and again the most dumbest guesses from germany

933 a tool for climbing rocks. the four half wheels are to block
(verklemmen) themself in rock-split

934 no idea

935 used to flatten car tires / to stop cars ?

936 pre-historic pencil sharpener ?

937 stand for thick books, the two flat areas are to hold front and back
separately so that old and expensive books will not fold too much ?

938 for woodworking, to remove the bark (oops, right word? Baumrinde) from
logs

939 funny thing used in itchy and scratchy moovies. no idea what it is used
for, microscope? rocket or jet engine?

greetings, chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

934 no idea

some kind of brakable or ascertainable cable drum?
drum for measuring length with looong wire?
some kind of speed meter for boats?
used in big clocks for the weigths?

no, stop, my guesses are getting too dumb

greetings, chris
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

One of the objects is very similar to a previously posted photo from a
couple years ago, so I added another picture for a total of seven this week:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

933 Climber's Cam

934 Microtome

935 Caltrops

936 Quill Pen point maker?

..

938 Agricultural veggie harvesting tool?

#934 You should know this one. It can be used for slicing bratwurst.

Other people use it for making thin sections of specimens for study
under a microscope. The specimen is mounted in paraffin and sliced up.

Regards,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

933. That's correct. In America it's called a cam.
934. Microtome. slices thin tissue sections in wax for looking at with
a microscope.
935. Probably Correct. Caltrop. Size would help to indicate whethter
it's tires or people.
936. I think pencil sharpener too.
938, A handheld hook for grabbing things.

Thanks
Karl

On Mar 21, 11:25 pm, "R.H." wrote:
One of the objects is very similar to a previously posted photo from a
couple years ago, so I added another picture for a total of seven this week:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

#934 You should know this one. It can be used for slicing bratwurst.

Other people use it for making thin sections of specimens for study under
a microscope. The specimen is mounted in paraffin and sliced up.

yes, i know what you mean ... but who wants to see a bratwurst under a
microscope? ;-)

after having read what it should be it is clear. in the middle an adjustable
hole to fill in the specimen (some bratwurst with or without mustard or
ketchup, choose yourself what you like more), and on top a handle with a
sharp cutter. a microtome, didn´t i say this? ahem, no, karl did.

greetings, chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

another silly guess...

939 some lens for cinema, slide projector, some old magic lantern? at the
rear some device to make light with big holes for getting rid of the heat,
then a condensing lens, a hole to insert some transparency objects, and a
adjustable lens to project to your wall.

greetings

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

#934 You should know this one. It can be used for slicing bratwurst.

Other people use it for making thin sections of specimens for study
under a microscope. The specimen is mounted in paraffin and sliced up.

Regards,

This is also known as a microtome. Now there is a word I haven't heard
since High School biology. Who knows why it jumped into my 65 year-old
mind after all these years.

Rich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Christian Stüben wrote:

937 stand for thick books, the two flat areas are to hold front and back
separately so that old and expensive books will not fold too much ?

Also known as a Dictionary Stand.

Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rich" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Also known as a Dictionary Stand.

that´s the problem for me. even when i have some idea what it is used for,
then the right english words are missing. and my dictionary (hey, i should
have known it!) doen´t give a translation for all i am searching.

but i hope i described it clear enough.

greetings

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"R.H." wrote in message
One of the objects is very similar to a previously posted photo from a
couple years ago, so I added another picture for a total of seven this
week:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

938. I have seen tools similar to this used to move around big blocks of
ice at a fish processing facility. I don't know if that was the intended or
original use of the tool.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
One of the objects is very similar to a previously posted photo from a
couple years ago, so I added another picture for a total of seven this week:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

939 is a slide projector/magic lantern. Since the fitting on the back
looks like a pipe fitting, the light source is probably a gas/acetylene
burner with a mantel inside the perforated case.

Northe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
One of the objects is very similar to a previously posted photo from a
couple years ago, so I added another picture for a total of seven this
week:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

934 is an early microtome

936 is a pencil sharpener (automatic, too!)

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Christian Stüben wrote:

"Rich" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Also known as a Dictionary Stand.

that´s the problem for me. even when i have some idea what it is used
for, then the right english words are missing. and my dictionary (hey, i
should have known it!) doen´t give a translation for all i am searching.

but i hope i described it clear enough.

greetings

Ok, what is it in German? Der Wörterbuchstand? Die Wörterbuchstelle?
Der Wörterbuchtisch? Apparently not.

Regards,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

hi all,

Ok, what is it in German? Der Wörterbuchstand? Die Wörterbuchstelle? Der
Wörterbuchtisch? Apparently not.

google is my friend ... just found on ebay:
http://www.kleinurl.de/?zc4y97xz
funny! looks, ahem, very similar.

another item, picture shows some use i would not have expected:
http://www.kleinurl.de/?v3rmwilw

greetings from germany, chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

937--Exactly like the dictionary stand on my living room. Mine has a
Webster's Unabridged on it'
938--A hook that would be held in one hand and swung to seat the hook into
something soft and heavy, like a bale of cotton, or a bag of grain. I do
not include hay, because I know that hay hooks are used in pairs, and have a
different handle. Not for ice--the hook would just chip the ice.
939--As others have said, a projector. One of the clues is the knurled
brass focusing knob. I think I have seen the slides for this. They are
glass, a couple of inches wide, and several inches long. Each one has a
series of round images, cartoon-like, and in color.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Mar 22, 5:25 am, "R.H." wrote:
One of the objects is very similar to a previously posted photo from a
couple years ago, so I added another picture for a total of seven this week:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

938 is a smaller version of a "hookaroon" to handle firewood lengths
as opposed to logs, the bigger version has about a 30" handle.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Mar 22, 5:25 am, "R.H." wrote:
One of the objects is very similar to a previously posted photo from a
couple years ago, so I added another picture for a total of seven this week:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

http://shopping.msn.com/specs/shp/?itemId=383823918

One of the few times I'm very confident in my response to a question
on this site. My two passions are woodworking and rock climbing, and
this, my friends, as some have indicated is definitely a cam for rock
climbing. The above address will link you to more information if you
are interested, though I'm sorry it didn't seem to paste as a link.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message
937--Exactly like the dictionary stand on my living room. Mine has a
Webster's Unabridged on it'

Any idea if the small platform above the legs has a purpose or is it just
decorative?

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Christian Stüben" wrote in message
another silly guess...

939 some lens for cinema, slide projector, some old magic lantern? at the
rear some device to make light with big holes for getting rid of the heat,
then a condensing lens, a hole to insert some transparency objects, and a
adjustable lens to project to your wall.

greetings

Yes, projector is correct, and it's a little different from most in that it
uses carbon arc light.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"R.H." wrote: Any idea if the small platform above the legs has a purpose
or is it just decorative?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think it's to hold other books--at least that's the way mine is used.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

According to R.H. :
One of the objects is very similar to a previously posted photo from a
couple years ago, so I added another picture for a total of seven this week:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual.

933) This is the semi-duplicate. The end shown is designed to
expand in cracks in stone to provide a grip in mountain climbing
and caving type activities.

934) A microtome -- for slicing off very thin samples of organic
materials to make microscope slides. The original sample is
mounted in a cylinder of wax to fit the hole in the top. As the
lever is slid to the left, it shaves a very thin slice off the
sample and the surrounding wax ready for placing on the
microscope slide, adding perhaps some stains to make certain
things more visible, a mounting compound, and a cover glass.

As the lever is returned to its original position, the lower
lever keyed to a slot in the main lever will advance a feedscrew
to extend the sample just the right distance for another slice
to be made.

The one which I have is rather more complex, with a separately
mounted blade which looks like a refugee from a straight razor,
and has adjustments to control how far it is extended per slice.
It also has a tray to collect the sliced samples.

This one looks as though it may use a single-edged or
double-edged razor blade clamped below the main lever.

It would be interesting to see other views, to see whether there
is some provision for adjusting the thickness per slice.

935) These look like cheap to manufacture versions of caltrops.

Perhaps these are intended to be used against human opponents
walking barefoot or in sandals -- such as in Vietnam.

The originals were made to keep horse-borne warriors from
attacking.

936) Either a strange version of a pencil sharpener, or perhaps
for pointing wooden dowels.

937) A library stand for an unabridged dictionary. The sides
raise and fall allowing the pages on either side to have the
same level, keeping the dictionary from flapping shut if not
held.

938) Not really sure about this one. From the shape of the handle
and the point, I think that it may be for climbing up a sloped
icy surface -- using two of them -- one in each hand -- and
perhaps some specialized kind of footwear to help as well.

939) An early version of a slide projector (magic lantern), I think.

The slide carrier goes through the slot just before the taper
starts.

The black area contains the lamp. I'm not sure whether it is an
incandescent lamp, or a flame and mantle style. It almost looks
as though there is a projection for fitting a gas feed to on the
more distant end.

The brass section in the near end is the projection lens and a
brass knob for adjusting the focus.

I guess that it *could* be an illuminator for a microscope
sub-stage, with the slot accepting color filters instead of
slides.

Now to see what others have guessed or identified.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"R.H." wrote in message
One of the objects is very similar to a previously posted photo from a
couple years ago, so I added another picture for a total of seven this
week:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

934 A microtome

938 a picaroon

Steve R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"R.H." schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Yes, projector is correct, and it's a little different from most in that
it
uses carbon arc light.

For cinema units carbon arc lighting is usual. For slide projectors, or
magic lantern, hmmm, not.

greetings

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"R.H." wrote: Any idea if the small platform above the legs has a

purpose
or is it just decorative?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think it's to hold other books--at least that's the way mine is used.

You're probably right, I thought that the vertical pieces at the corners
would be longer if it was made to hold books, but I guess that they're tall
enough.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? CLXII - Answer page link

934) ... It would be interesting to see other views, to see whether there
is some provision for adjusting the thickness per slice.

I don't own the microtome but might see it again next weekend, if so I'll
take a few more shots.

Six of the seven have been answered correctly this week, please see the
answer page for more details:

http://pzphotosan161z.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 04:25:39 -0500, R.H. wrote:

One of the objects is very similar to a previously posted photo from a
couple years ago, so I added another picture for a total of seven this week:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Sorry for going all retro, but on #931 from last week or so (the 3-phase
wire hanger), what's with the swirly Art Deco styling? Is it just that
this was designed in the days when Deco was all the thing?

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 16:37:16 +0100, Christian Stüben wrote:

hi all,

"GeorgeD" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Ok, what is it in German? Der Wörterbuchstand? Die Wörterbuchstelle? Der
Wörterbuchtisch? Apparently not.

google is my friend ... just found on ebay:
http://www.kleinurl.de/?zc4y97xz
funny! looks, ahem, very similar.

another item, picture shows some use i would not have expected:
http://www.kleinurl.de/?v3rmwilw

Kuntslexiconstasse? (probably not, I just made that up)

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

According to Rich Grise :
On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 04:25:39 -0500, R.H. wrote:

One of the objects is very similar to a previously posted photo from a
couple years ago, so I added another picture for a total of seven this week:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Sorry for going all retro, but on #931 from last week or so (the 3-phase
wire hanger), what's with the swirly Art Deco styling? Is it just that
this was designed in the days when Deco was all the thing?

I think that the purpose was to give longer "creep paths" for
current to flow when it is wet -- e.g. from rain or ice. This allows it
to operate at a higher voltage than a straight '+' shape would allow.

Also less chance of someone interpreting it as an upside down
Cross, and calling the power company "Satanic". :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...
On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 04:25:39 -0500, R.H. wrote:

One of the objects is very similar to a previously posted photo from a
couple years ago, so I added another picture for a total of seven this week:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Sorry for going all retro, but on #931 from last week or so (the 3-phase
wire hanger), what's with the swirly Art Deco styling? Is it just that
this was designed in the days when Deco was all the thing?

It's ceramic, i.e., brittle, so a sharp corner would be a likely place for
cracks to start.

Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Mar 22, 4:25 am, "R.H." wrote:
One of the objects is very similar to a previously posted photo from a
couple years ago, so I added another picture for a total of seven this week:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

933 is the business end of what are called in the climbing biz as
"protection". Specifically a Cam device.

http://www.acmeclimbing.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=337

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"R.H." wrote: You're probably right, I thought that the vertical pieces at
the corners would be longer if it was made to hold books, but I guess that
they're tall enough.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You're probably picturing the books standing like they would on a library
shelf. I have mine resting with the bindings on top.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article ,
(DoN. Nichols) wrote:

According to Rich Grise :
On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 04:25:39 -0500, R.H. wrote:

One of the objects is very similar to a previously posted photo from a
couple years ago, so I added another picture for a total of seven this
week:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Sorry for going all retro, but on #931 from last week or so (the 3-phase
wire hanger), what's with the swirly Art Deco styling? Is it just that
this was designed in the days when Deco was all the thing?

I think that the purpose was to give longer "creep paths" for
current to flow when it is wet -- e.g. from rain or ice. This allows it
to operate at a higher voltage than a straight '+' shape would allow.

Also less chance of someone interpreting it as an upside down
Cross, and calling the power company "Satanic". :-)

You mean it isn't Satanic!?!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 14:41:12 -0400, John Husvar
wrote:

In article ,
(DoN. Nichols) wrote:

According to Rich Grise :
On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 04:25:39 -0500, R.H. wrote:

One of the objects is very similar to a previously posted photo from a
couple years ago, so I added another picture for a total of seven this
week:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Sorry for going all retro, but on #931 from last week or so (the 3-phase
wire hanger), what's with the swirly Art Deco styling? Is it just that
this was designed in the days when Deco was all the thing?

I think that the purpose was to give longer "creep paths" for
current to flow when it is wet -- e.g. from rain or ice. This allows it
to operate at a higher voltage than a straight '+' shape would allow.

Also less chance of someone interpreting it as an upside down
Cross, and calling the power company "Satanic". :-)

You mean it isn't Satanic!?!

I know PG&E is..Pacific Greed and Extortion....

The *******s
And **** Grey Davis with a farriers rasp too!

Gunner
Political Correctness

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible
to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rich Grise wrote:

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 04:25:39 -0500, R.H. wrote:

One of the objects is very similar to a previously posted photo from a
couple years ago, so I added another picture for a total of seven this week:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Sorry for going all retro, but on #931 from last week or so (the 3-phase
wire hanger), what's with the swirly Art Deco styling? Is it just that
this was designed in the days when Deco was all the thing?

Thanks,
Rich

The one longer arm with the smaller notch for a wire is for the
messenger cable. That is a steel cable much stronger than the current
carrying cables. The messenger cable allows the wires to be pulled
tighter and higher than without it or used for longer spans. On three
phase applications they would be used for low voltage only.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Mar 24, 6:45 am, "R.H." wrote:
934) ... It would be interesting to see other views, to see whether there
is some provision for adjusting the thickness per slice.

I don't own the microtome but might see it again next weekend, if so I'll
take a few more shots.

Six of the seven have been answered correctly this week, please see the
answer page for more details:

http://pzphotosan161z.blogspot.com/

Rob

I'll get a better translation in a day from some multilingual friends,
but the best I can translate the chinese characters on the bottom of
938a tells me it says something like "wooden tool department". The
first character is a bit hard to tell, since the top of the character
is mugged up; without a radical on top, it actually means 'shell',
which doesn't make sense to me. The middle character is 'cai', which
means wood, and the bottom one is 'bu' which means department.

I don't know of many regions where they train elephants and use
Chinese characters, so the fish picaroon seems more likely to me.

--riverman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Mar 23, 6:45 pm, "R.H." wrote:
934) ... It would be interesting to see other views, to see whether there
is some provision for adjusting the thickness per slice.

I don't own the microtome but might see it again next weekend, if so I'll
take a few more shots.

Six of the seven have been answered correctly this week, please see the
answer page for more details:

http://pzphotosan161z.blogspot.com/

Hey Rob. I don't think that the tool pictured in 938 has anything to
do with elephants, though similar looking tools are used in that
application. Here's a link that shows various types of elephant
hooks. http://www.upali.ch/hook_en.html The second tool picture,
938a, has Chinese or Japanese writing on the butt of the handle, and
Asian elephants are predominantly from areas where Chinese writing
would be unusual to find. http://www.upali.ch/asian_en.html

My main reason for believing the tool had another origin and purpose
is because I owned one that was identical to the tool pictured in 938,
except for the cross-hatching on the handle. It's pretty weird to see
a tool you own pop up in one of your "What Is it?" quizzes! I'd
picked it up when I bought an estate tool collection. The collection
has tools that I'm still trying to figure out, but all of them are of
American or English origin. The hook had a tag that said it was a
pickaroon, used for handling smaller logs - maybe as in firewood as
someone else suggested. Here's Lee Valley's version:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...08&cat=1,41131

I demonstrated some antique tools at a local country fair a couple of
years back, and the pickaroon was a favorite. It was _fun_ to give a
quick flick and have it stick into the end of a log. Made manhandling
a log a breeze. I really don't think you could design a better tool
for that application.

Anyway, thought you'd like another opinion. Take it for what it's
worth.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Mar 25, 2:19 pm, "RicodJour" wrote:
On Mar 23, 6:45 pm, "R.H." wrote:

[...]

I've gotten a further translation. In Chinese, the inscription says
"Zi Cai Bu".

Chinese does not directly translate into English, but roughly; Zi is
related to words meaning 'capital' or 'information'; Cai is related to
'materials', and 'Bu' means 'department'. "Zi Cai Bu" probably means
the tool belonged to an official materials and maintenance department,
possibly at a large organization like a construction firm or
university.

This makes it highly unlikely to be an elephant stick. I'm even more
comfortable with the idea that it is a wood handling tool.

--riverman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article ,
Gunner wrote: