Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default What is it? CLXII

According to R.H. :
One of the objects is very similar to a previously posted photo from a
couple years ago, so I added another picture for a total of seven this week:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual.

933) This is the semi-duplicate. The end shown is designed to
expand in cracks in stone to provide a grip in mountain climbing
and caving type activities.

934) A microtome -- for slicing off very thin samples of organic
materials to make microscope slides. The original sample is
mounted in a cylinder of wax to fit the hole in the top. As the
lever is slid to the left, it shaves a very thin slice off the
sample and the surrounding wax ready for placing on the
microscope slide, adding perhaps some stains to make certain
things more visible, a mounting compound, and a cover glass.

As the lever is returned to its original position, the lower
lever keyed to a slot in the main lever will advance a feedscrew
to extend the sample just the right distance for another slice
to be made.

The one which I have is rather more complex, with a separately
mounted blade which looks like a refugee from a straight razor,
and has adjustments to control how far it is extended per slice.
It also has a tray to collect the sliced samples.

This one looks as though it may use a single-edged or
double-edged razor blade clamped below the main lever.

It would be interesting to see other views, to see whether there
is some provision for adjusting the thickness per slice.

935) These look like cheap to manufacture versions of caltrops.

Perhaps these are intended to be used against human opponents
walking barefoot or in sandals -- such as in Vietnam.

The originals were made to keep horse-borne warriors from
attacking.

936) Either a strange version of a pencil sharpener, or perhaps
for pointing wooden dowels.

937) A library stand for an unabridged dictionary. The sides
raise and fall allowing the pages on either side to have the
same level, keeping the dictionary from flapping shut if not
held.

938) Not really sure about this one. From the shape of the handle
and the point, I think that it may be for climbing up a sloped
icy surface -- using two of them -- one in each hand -- and
perhaps some specialized kind of footwear to help as well.

939) An early version of a slide projector (magic lantern), I think.

The slide carrier goes through the slot just before the taper
starts.

The black area contains the lamp. I'm not sure whether it is an
incandescent lamp, or a flame and mantle style. It almost looks
as though there is a projection for fitting a gas feed to on the
more distant end.

The brass section in the near end is the projection lens and a
brass knob for adjusting the focus.

I guess that it *could* be an illuminator for a microscope
sub-stage, with the slot accepting color filters instead of
slides.

Now to see what others have guessed or identified.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564