Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cut your hair boys and girls (cautionary tale)

This morning I, being a long haired freaky person, had hair down to my
ass. It is now a shoulder length (very) rough bob.

This afternoon I was routing a roundover on a box when suddenly I felt a
sharp pain and the router leapt at me and died.

I at first thought my hair had gotten into the bit, but it was worse
than that--it had been drawn into the motor from the top until the
router stalled or the brushes came off or whatever else caused the
router to stop happened (I haven't had a chance to tear it down yet).
The shaft cannot be turned at the moment. Fortunately it was my ancient
1 horse Black and Decker and not the 3-1/2 horse Porter Cable which
would probably not have stopped until it had done serious damage--as it
was there was no real harm done other than embarrasment.

Manana I'm going to see about getting the hair cut back to mil-spec.

Not sure how I got my hair into it--I wear it tied back and tucked into
my shirt when I'm working but it managed to escape somehow. Better to
keep it short, as I've just learned the hard way.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

--

Yeow! Glad to hear you weren't seriously harmed. Maybe there's
something to that military style cut after all, eh?

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm trimming my berad!
Marc

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

This morning I, being a long haired freaky person, had hair down to my
ass. It is now a shoulder length (very) rough bob.

Beware of hippies with power tools. LOL! Fortunately, the good Lord and
Father Time have seen fit to remove the possibility of me getting my
hair caught in anything. :-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
"J. Clarke" wrote:

[...]

Many years ago when I had hair, I mean, long hair, I did a similar
thing. I was living at home and my dad had this ancient drill--solid
metal casing that weighted a ton. It also had very large vents at the
back. Things were going fine, next thing I know the drill is stuck to
the side of my head. Of course there is no reverse on the drill, nor is
there anyone else home. After a few minutes of trying to unwind my
hair--did I mention that this drill weighted a ton--I gave up and just
cut my hair. Of course, I then had to take the drill apart and get all
of the hair out of it.

These days I shave my head; funny, haven't had a problem with power
tools getting stuck to it.

david

--

www.brndogwoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

My daughter braids her hair, then pins it up in a bun, when she's
working at the lathe. Way to scary otherwise.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

The shaft cannot be turned at the moment. Fortunately it was my ancient
1 horse Black and Decker and not the 3-1/2 horse Porter Cable which
would probably not have stopped until it had done serious damage--as it
was there was no real harm done other than embarrasment.

Nice to hear you're OK!
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

The shaft cannot be turned at the moment. Fortunately it was my
ancient 1 horse Black and Decker and not the 3-1/2 horse Porter
Cable which would probably not have stopped until it had done
serious damage--as it was there was no real harm done other than
embarrasment.

Nice to hear you're OK!

Thanks, wish I could say the same for the router. When I get around to
tearing it down I think I'm going to post photos.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 16:32:46 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Thanks, wish I could say the same for the router. When I get around to
tearing it down I think I'm going to post photos.

At least routers are easy to replace!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
This morning I, being a long haired freaky person, had hair down to my
snipped4BW

Maybe you should cut it with a Flowbee (sp)...
Google this for a truly hilarious tale.
Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Bunetta" wrote in message

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
This morning I, being a long haired freaky person, had hair down to my
snipped4BW

That's the second time today I saw that phrase in writing... the first time
was in reference to the Signs song and the help wanted sign...

What are the changes of that? ;~)

I wonder if the freaky part comes from getting the hair caught in a power
tool?

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
This morning I, being a long haired freaky person, had hair down to
my snipped4BW

That's the second time today I saw that phrase in writing... the
first time was in reference to the Signs song and the help wanted
sign...

What are the changes of that? ;~)

I wonder if the freaky part comes from getting the hair caught in a
power tool?

Well, I managed to avoid freaking out however if I had had just a bit
more presence of mind I'd have gotten a picture while I was still
attached.

But historically it's related to the drugs that in my misspent youth men
with long hair who were not world famous physicists or conductors were
assumed to be ingesting.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" opin'd thus:

This morning I, being a long haired freaky person, had hair down to my
ass. It is now a shoulder length (very) rough bob.

[snip happens]

. Better to keep it short, as I've just learned the hard way.

Almost cut my hair;

It happened just the other day;

It's gettin' kinda long;

I coulda said it was in my way;

But I didn't and I wonder why;

I feel like letting my freak flag fly

.. . .

-Don th' Aging Hippie (listening to CSN&Y)

--
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:
This morning I, being a long haired freaky person, had hair down to my
ass. It is now a shoulder length (very) rough bob.

This afternoon I was routing a roundover on a box when suddenly I felt a
sharp pain and the router leapt at me and died.

I at first thought my hair had gotten into the bit, but it was worse
than that--it had been drawn into the motor from the top until the
router stalled or the brushes came off or whatever else caused the
snip

Glad to hear that the worst injury was a scare.
When I was at Tech. School, doing my apprenticeship in the earl 70's,
all blokes with long hair had to wear a hair net.
Needles to say, this offended some fellows sense of man hood.
So ignoring the rule, one bloke decided it would be OK to drill a quick
hole with the drill press and no net.
One hole was one to many as his hair got caught up in the chuck and he
was promptly scalped. About a 3" diameter piece of scalp almost pulled
completely of on the side of his head.
It was promptly decided by all who needed to, that hair nets were not
that sissy after all.

Once again, glad that pride was the only injury.

regards
John

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:

| This afternoon I was routing a roundover on a box when suddenly I
| felt a sharp pain and the router leapt at me and died.
|
| I at first thought my hair had gotten into the bit, but it was worse
| than that--it had been drawn into the motor from the top until the
| router stalled or the brushes came off or whatever else caused the
| router to stop happened (I haven't had a chance to tear it down
| yet).

I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt.

Must've been a sight to see a long-haired dude using a 1 HP router for
a barrette. [ ;-) ]

Hmm - you do realize this might be the perfect excuse to go shopping
for a trim router...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

This morning I, being a long haired freaky person, had hair down to
my ass. It is now a shoulder length (very) rough bob.

Beware of hippies with power tools. LOL! Fortunately, the good Lord and
Father Time have seen fit to remove the possibility of me getting my
hair caught in anything. :-)

Yeah, the only place my hair gets caught these days is the bathtub drain.

Oh well, I had it when I needed it. :-D

Bill

is worth (much) unless backed up with enough genuine information to make
him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft

http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000727-0, 03/22/2007
Tested on: 3/22/2007 9:50:50 PM

Posted to rec.woodworking

Not sure about the trim router. I think scissors or clippers might work
better on his hair. Just don't get the cheap HF scissors, make sure you go
with the Made in the USA scissors from Delta. grin

SteveP.