Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Frank Klausz Inspired Dovetail Process PDF in a.b.p.w.

Didn't know where else to put it so I posted the PDF file
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Hand Cutting A Dovetailed Drawer - 428K PDF

The file ios 438K on my computer, 652K when uploaded
- which is why I didn't put the PDF version on my site -
space, as in the shop, is always an issue.

I've got the Mac version of Acrobat 5.0 and created
the PDF via Tools-Web Capture-Open Web Page for
the first page then Tools-Web Capture-Append Web
Page. Cumbersome because I've got some web pages
like 6A, 6B and 6C, necessitated by revisions to the
original pages.

Anyway - the PDF file is available. If it gets someone
to try handcutting dovetails then it was worth the
effort to do the PDF. If not, I still learned something
about Acrobat.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

charlieb wrote:
Didn't know where else to put it so I posted the PDF file
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Hand Cutting A Dovetailed Drawer - 428K PDF

The file ios 438K on my computer, 652K when uploaded
- which is why I didn't put the PDF version on my site -
space, as in the shop, is always an issue.

I've got the Mac version of Acrobat 5.0 and created
the PDF via Tools-Web Capture-Open Web Page for
the first page then Tools-Web Capture-Append Web
Page. Cumbersome because I've got some web pages
like 6A, 6B and 6C, necessitated by revisions to the
original pages.

Anyway - the PDF file is available. If it gets someone
to try handcutting dovetails then it was worth the
effort to do the PDF. If not, I still learned something
about Acrobat.

Usually the tools of my neighbor that I covet are of the edged or
motorized variety. One friend has an all-in-one printer/scanner that
scans directly to a PDF file. Drop in the stack of sheets, hit the
button and enjoy your favorite beverage. I'd like one of those.

Thanks for posting the PDF, Charlie.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlieb" wrote in message
Didn't know where else to put it so I posted the PDF file
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Hand Cutting A Dovetailed Drawer - 428K PDF

The file ios 438K on my computer, 652K when uploaded
- which is why I didn't put the PDF version on my site -
space, as in the shop, is always an issue.

I've got the Mac version of Acrobat 5.0 and created
the PDF via Tools-Web Capture-Open Web Page for
the first page then Tools-Web Capture-Append Web
Page. Cumbersome because I've got some web pages
like 6A, 6B and 6C, necessitated by revisions to the
original pages.

Anyway - the PDF file is available. If it gets someone
to try handcutting dovetails then it was worth the
effort to do the PDF. If not, I still learned something
about Acrobat.

charlie b

Thanks Charlie. I'll download it to my drive. I've watched his video a
few times and am amazed every time I do. I've dabbled with DT's but have
never gotten serious with them. Sounds like with his video and your PDF, I
have no more excuses! I much prefer Neandering for some things and I
should add DT's to the list.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 19, 2:10 pm, charlieb wrote:
Didn't know where else to put it so I posted the PDF file
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Hand Cutting A Dovetailed Drawer - 428K PDF

The file ios 438K on my computer, 652K when uploaded
- which is why I didn't put the PDF version on my site -
space, as in the shop, is always an issue.

I've got the Mac version of Acrobat 5.0 and created
the PDF via Tools-Web Capture-Open Web Page for
the first page then Tools-Web Capture-Append Web
Page. Cumbersome because I've got some web pages
like 6A, 6B and 6C, necessitated by revisions to the
original pages.

Anyway - the PDF file is available. If it gets someone
to try handcutting dovetails then it was worth the
effort to do the PDF. If not, I still learned something
about Acrobat.

charlie b

Don't know how it works on a MAC but on a PC if I take a document I
just printed to Adobe, open it then 'Save As' the pdf gets smaller.
The status bar flashes messages like 'optimizing for web viewing' and
'removing duplicate items'.

I'm not really sure what Adobe is doing I just know that after the
Save As the file size is less.

YMMV

Posted to rec.woodworking

RayV wrote:

Don't know how it works on a MAC but on a PC if I take a document I
just printed to Adobe, open it then 'Save As' the pdf gets smaller.
The status bar flashes messages like 'optimizing for web viewing' and
'removing duplicate items'.

I'm not really sure what Adobe is doing I just know that after the
Save As the file size is less.

Well there are several things I had to consider

1. I wanted ALL the pages in one PDF file
2. I wanted ALL the pages in order and since
6A, 6B and 6C may not be handled quite like
a human would handle it . . .
3. Each "page" is actually a GIF image - PLUS the
links to the index, previous page, next page etc.
Line drawings and text get compressed nicely
with GIF files and seem to print faster than JPEG
files. GIF also maintains the text clarity better.
4. Acrobat inserts page breaks so I had to delete
the acrobat pages that had only the links described
above.
5. Though I bought the aftermarket book on Acrobat
5.0 I must admit I haven't read it - though I have
looked for things in it - often to no avail. Acrobat
wasn't developed by Adobe, but rather they bought
out Frame Technology IIRC and put their name on
the product. Once it was in house and Adobe's
software developers had picked the Frame peoples
minds, they "let the Frame people go". They haven't
seemed to get the user interface up to typical user
friendly and intuitive use Apple standards.

Question is - you gonna try handcut dovetails?

charlie b

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 19, 5:45 pm, charlieb wrote:

Question is - you gonna try handcut dovetails?

Yeah, one of these days. Hoping to finish my workbench this weekend
that way I'll be able to reliably clamp a board.

Now, what page of the Lee Valley catalog has the backsaws...

Does this count as 'handcut'?
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...18&cat=1,42884

Posted to rec.woodworking

RayV wrote:

On Mar 19, 5:45 pm, charlieb wrote:

Question is - you gonna try handcut dovetails?

Yeah, one of these days. Hoping to finish my workbench this weekend
that way I'll be able to reliably clamp a board.

Now, what page of the Lee Valley catalog has the backsaws...

Does this count as 'handcut'?
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...18&cat=1,42884

I think it counts. You still have to chop out the waste. If you're
cutting a half-blind joint, you still have to finish the edges of the
pins, too. (A recent issue of Fine Woodworking contained the suggestion
to hammer a sharp card scraper into the partial kerf until it is as deep
as the joint. It works like a charm.)

Without that angle cutting doohickey, I could never cut a dovetail.
With it, I got it right on my second try. It's money well spent, in my
opinion.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ken McIsaac wrote:

I think it counts. You still have to chop out the waste. If you're
cutting a half-blind joint, you still have to finish the edges of the
pins, too. (A recent issue of Fine Woodworking contained the suggestion
to hammer a sharp card scraper into the partial kerf until it is as deep
as the joint. It works like a charm.)

Tage Frid's tape on handcutting dovetails has him using a piece
of bandsaw blade, teeth ground off, duct tape handle, single
bevel ground on one side.

Don't get too heavy handed with the mallet though or you may
split your drawer face (DAMHIKT).

Without that angle cutting doohickey, I could never cut a dovetail.
With it, I got it right on my second try. It's money well spent, in my
opinion.

If it gets you doing handcut dovetails . . .

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

RayV wrote:

Question is - you gonna try handcut dovetails?

Yeah, one of these days. Hoping to finish my workbench this weekend
that way I'll be able to reliably clamp a board.

Now, what page of the Lee Valley catalog has the backsaws...

Does this count as 'handcut'?
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...18&cat=1,42884

Sure. If it gets you to try it you'll soon get frustrated with
the Training Wheels and cut dovetails without them. You'll
still have to do the layout/marking and socket cleanout so
most of the skills will get developed.

Or you could skip the guide and get their $8.95 "General Purpose
Razor Saw" (catalogue number 60F03.12) AND their "Ultra-Thin
Razor Saw" (catalogue number 60F03.10) for another $4.95 - and
practice cutting straight lines to just "leave the line". Both
these barrel handled saws cut on the pull stroke like Japanese
saws. Shorter handle though. The $8.95 saw is great for doing
dovetails in narrower stuff - the 24 tpi is a bit slow no thick
stock - 3/4" or thicker. The $4.95 one with 52 tpi and a much
smaller depth of cut is more of a model/musical instrument
maker's saw - but hey, if you want to do dovetails in really thin
stock . I use it to part off small turnings, the 0.010" kerf is
thinner than my narrowest 1/16th inch (0.0625") parting tool.

Bonus - both saws are Made In The U.S.A.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

RayV wrote:
On Mar 19, 5:45 pm, charlieb wrote:
Question is - you gonna try handcut dovetails?

Yeah, one of these days. Hoping to finish my workbench this weekend
that way I'll be able to reliably clamp a board.

Now, what page of the Lee Valley catalog has the backsaws...

Does this count as 'handcut'?
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...18&cat=1,42884

I have that saw, and am very pleased with it. I originally bought it for
dovetails, and it works well for that. I also use it for other things
when I need a narrow kerf.

Tanus

--
This is not really a sig.