Posted to rec.woodworking
LDR

Default Handcut Dovetails (Inspired by Dovetail Jigs)

I nearly graduated from a Keller Jig to Leigh Top of the Line. Instead
I went to handcut dovetails by way of the 18th century and videos by
Frank Klausz and Rob Cosman and Tage Frid, and I went first class
spending almost as much on handtools as I would have for the jig. Not
necessary, of course, but who could resist them.

For me, woodworking is no more about making furniture than trout fishing
is about eating fish. It is about rejoicing over the craftsman screaming
to get out of the klutz. After a month, I make a very respectable
through dovetail. The halfblind is much trickier, but it's not that much
far behind, and handcut dovetails is fast, quiet, less messy, and the
satisfaction of putting down a chisel is in a league of its own compared
to the router, and I own four routers. The best part is that the variety
of dovetails you can make by hand seems endless.

Again, speaking only for myself, making a dovetail by hand is the
equivalent of making music by playing a piano as against turning on a cd
player.

If I were a professional cabinet maker, I would be a Luddite, but as a
sole practitioner of woodworking, I have discovered the holy grail in my
basement.

Even my hands are beginning the look like Roy Underhill's, the true
emblem of the wordworker :-)
Posted to rec.woodworking
arw01

I spent a week in Rob's Cosman's basic handtool class and enjoyed every
minute of it. Something like 60 hours in there that week. Plotting a
return trip this year.

Alan

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Jackson

Congratulations, you have passed woodworking 101 and are nearing completion
of advanced woodworking!
--dave (who also has a few routers and jigs, but throughly enjoys cutting
DT's by hand)

k.net...

Dovetail Jigs david lang UK diy 5 September 13th 05 10:10 PM
dovetail jigs Anyone here use the WoodRat? Thomas Bunetta Woodworking 15 January 21st 05 02:59 PM
Handcut Dovetails [email protected] Woodworking 11 January 16th 05 02:34 PM
Patent regarding dovetail jigs Thierry B. Woodworking 6 August 27th 04 02:22 PM
DIY dovetail jigs? Charlie Mraz Woodworking 16 June 28th 04 02:19 AM