Thomas Bunetta

Default dovetail jigs Anyone here use the WoodRat?

I'm about to obtain a jig...
I've researched the Leigh, the Akeda, Incra and the dedicated simpler
jigs...
So far it's a tie between the Leigh and Akeda, or was until I looked at
http://www.woodrat.com/info1.html .
Now I'm wondering if that might be a better choice.
So once again I want to tap the collective intelligence of our august group!
Anyone here use the WoodRat or Little Rat? Or know someone that has?
I have read one review, looked at the above site and it would *appear* as
though there are no practical size limitations, and what seems to be an
endless array of possibilities.
Thoughts and suggestions welcome here!
Thanks,
Tom

Rodger Webster

I bought a woodrat a few years ago, got ****ed off with it and bought a
Leigh jig.
The woodrat is a very good machine, possibly more versatile than the leigh,
but unless you are using it regularly it can be a pain to remember exactly
how to set it up. I found it fiddly to use. You also need a clear area of
wall to attach it to and of course the space around it for the "unlimited"
applications. The Leigh is easy to use but very expensive for the add-ons
needed to increase it's versatility.
It's really a case of "horses for courses" and if you live in America you
may find the prices there are an influence to your purchase. Here in UK
nothing seems to be cheap any more, ( apart from Taiwan imports, that is)
I saw the woodrat being exhibited once at a show over here and when I
politely asked a question about a problem I was having, was treated to a
sneer and spoken to as if I were an imbecile for asking such a question, so
you see, I am just a wee bit biased.
Good luck with your purchase what ever you decide. Rodger

"Thomas Bunetta" wrote in message
I'm about to obtain a jig...
I've researched the Leigh, the Akeda, Incra and the dedicated simpler
jigs...
So far it's a tie between the Leigh and Akeda, or was until I looked at
http://www.woodrat.com/info1.html .
Now I'm wondering if that might be a better choice.
So once again I want to tap the collective intelligence of our august
group!
Anyone here use the WoodRat or Little Rat? Or know someone that has?
I have read one review, looked at the above site and it would *appear* as
though there are no practical size limitations, and what seems to be an
endless array of possibilities.
Thoughts and suggestions welcome here!
Thanks,
Tom

Thomas Bunetta

"Rodger Webster" wrote in message
I bought a woodrat a few years ago, got ****ed off with it and bought a
Leigh jig.

snipperoo

Thanks for the insight, Rodger...
Hopefully others will contribute as well and I can put the issue to rest.
Thanks again,
Tom

windriverfamily

I just dusted off my Leigh jig to build 8 drawers in a window seat. It's
been sitting for 3 years since my last dovetail project. It took me around
2-3 hours to get it set up properly - which included lots of "duh" time
re-reading the manual, using several scrap pieces and fine tuning the
joints.

The manual is actually very well written. Lots of pictures with easy to
comprehend instructions. Important for me, as I am loathe to actually read
every word until forced...

Once the set up was complete, I was able to zip through (zip is used
loosely, here) all 32 pieces of wood. Everything is going together well. For
mass production, the Leigh is really hard to beat. I'd recommend it.

I haven't had experience with any of the other jigs, so I can't compare &
contrast. Remember, YMMV ;-)

Good luck.

Kay

"Thomas Bunetta" wrote in message

"Rodger Webster" wrote in message
I bought a woodrat a few years ago, got ****ed off with it and bought a
Leigh jig.

snipperoo

Thanks for the insight, Rodger...
Hopefully others will contribute as well and I can put the issue to rest.
Thanks again,
Tom

JeffB

Woodrat opinions and illustrations here - http://www.woodshopdemos.com/wr-1.htm

JeffB

Thomas Bunetta

Thanks, Jeff.
This was the review I had read in my research thus far.
It seems like a lot of steps, but then there is a lot of flexibility of use.
Box joints, dovetails, mortises and tenons (and more as shown on the MFG
site).
The plastic clamps are a potential weakness (I have been known to get a
little "ham-fisted" occasionally G)
Tom
"JeffB" wrote in message
Woodrat opinions and illustrations here -

http://www.woodshopdemos.com/wr-1.htm

JeffB

nigel

No practical experience yet -- maybe this weekend though -- but the
full video (50 mins DVD ordered from woodrat) convinced me to put down
my hard earned cash.

I see this as a probably saving me having to buy a router table, with
lift, as well as an expensive dovetail jig. That makes the prices a
little closer.

I was also particularly sold on the ease of making sliding dovetails
(stopped if necessary); practically I imagine this will be the most
common thing I shall be doing. In general terms the great reduction of
the need to measure anything with a rule seems like a big plus; most
things are done by aligning one half of a joint with the already cut
other half - can't really mess that up as badly as my mental arithmetic
(how many time have I said to myself "half of 35 is 16.5" and cut
accordingly :-))

Delivered from UK to Germany in just over 48 hrs, all present and
correct, and currently in a box on my living room floor awaiting
assembly and wall fitting .... :-)

nigel

can you hurry up a little

I'll do my best ... the rate determining step is delivery of the new
1/2 inch router to go with it.... shipped yesterday from the UK, if
they're as good as woodrat it should be here tomorrow.

Why a new router? Using my Metabo was going to require taking off the
phenolic plate which seems to be a destructive operation; didn't want
to do that. Also, I figured a 1/2 machine would let me use some of
those fancy cutters that only come in the big size, and can't be used
without a table or some sort of 'power feed' anyway.

Thomas Bunetta

"nigel" wrote in message
oups.com...
can you hurry up a little

I'll do my best ... the rate determining step is delivery of the new
1/2 inch router to go with it.... shipped yesterday from the UK, if
they're as good as woodrat it should be here tomorrow.

snip

Any excuse to get new tools is OK with me!
Good luck and please do post your opinions about the equipment.
Tom

I just dusted off my Leigh jig to build 8 drawers in a window seat.
It's
been sitting for 3 years since my last dovetail project. It took me
around
2-3 hours to get it set up properly - which included lots of "duh" time
re-reading the manual, using several scrap pieces and fine tuning the
joints.

I seem to do the same 1/2" half blind dovetails most of the time, and I
made a test piece for setup for the Leigh. For those that don't know,
it's the depth of cut that determine the tightness of the joint.

Well, I clamped the test piece in, put the cutter to the right level,
and without running a test piece (I forgot to mill up a test piece and
I was kinda short on wood anyway), I whipped out a drawer with 4
cornered dovetails in about 1/2 hour from start to finish. Fit like a
dream!

I really recommend the Leigh. Everything is so well made on this
piece.

nigel

After a long pause (I was sick, then some family business came up) I
have just today had a chance to unpack my woodrat and start playing
with it. Here my first impressions:

1) Package was complete, nothing missing or damaged

2) Instructions made mounting and assembly easy (about 45 mins)
although I had to read some bits 3 or 4 times to understand what was
meant.

3) Tomorrow I'll be remounting it a little lower - you need a clear
view of the top plate and I'm a little long sighted to see it clearly
when the top plate is at just below shoulder height. This was my fault,
trying to maximise the length of wood that could be fitted vertically
underneath and overdoing it slightly, 6 inches lower and I#ll be all
set. Of course, I could also just make myself something to stand on
(but I prefer not to risk falling off whe playing with power tools, I
think).

4) The 'plunge bars' for the router depthing are a good idea. I do
believe I'll be ordering some for my other router too.

5) The brush used to provide upwards pressure to keep the wood against
the base plate when it's not in the cam clamps works surprisingly well.
I can see myself using this idea at the table saw as well instead of
feather boards. I flattened the top of the brush and glued it to a
length of wood so I could use the cam clamps to hold it in place.

6) Sliding dovetails are easy too. It took a little practice to get
them tight enough (but still leave room for some glue) -- this is where
I realised I didn't have a clear enough view of the top plate to align
the marks easilyly. 2 or 3 attempts are all it took though ...

7) Changing cutters is a pain. Shame that the Jacobs collet isn't made
any more (but then it apparently didn't work very well any way). Any
other tipe for quick release collets?

Tomorrow is an expedition into the land of the dovetail ....

So far (which is not very far yet) I'm quite impressed. I don't see the
learning curve being too steep -- but then I've never used a router
table so maybe I don't have too much to unlearn ...

Nigel.

JLucas ILS

Nigel,
Your comments are right on. There is a new laser that is available and
mounts on the Dewalt router for showing where your bit will touch the
owrkpiece. I havent connected mine up yet but it sounds quite feasable. It is
fromthe US Dealer.... http://www.thecraftsmangallery.com/M...2/merchant.mvc
Lewis is owner there and knows the WoodRat inside out.
nigel

Hhhmmm, that's yet another way to do things!

I looked at the 'finger' joint description and I can see how it would
work. It seems like it would solve a problem I didn't have (yet?) which
is alignment in the E/W direction with marks on the front face. My
problems were more with N/S alignment which needs a clear view down
from above.

Thanks for the hint, but I'll hold my $100 for a while until I've
lowered the mount slightly. I just looked at the woodrat video again
and he has the thing set at just above elbow height, which is certainly
lower than my initial effort.

N.

Thomas Bunetta

"nigel" wrote in message
oups.com...
After a long pause (I was sick, then some family business came up) I
have just today had a chance to unpack my woodrat and start playing
with it. Here my first impressions:

snipped

Thanks for your continued input...
I bought the DVD, and will probably get one soon.
Thanks again,
Tom

Dan Valleskey

check this out-

http://woodshopdemos.com/wr-1.htm

-Dan V.

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 05:59:24 -0500, "Thomas Bunetta"
wrote:

"nigel" wrote in message
roups.com...
After a long pause (I was sick, then some family business came up) I
have just today had a chance to unpack my woodrat and start playing
with it. Here my first impressions:

snipped

Thanks for your continued input...
I bought the DVD, and will probably get one soon.
Thanks again,
Tom

Dave

I just found this place and thought I'd comment on the Rat. First,
Dan's link is to JLucas ILS"s very nice website.

Second, I find the Rat to be very easy to use. I've had mine for about
2.5 years. Dovetails are not at all difficult as long as you keep your
head about you. (Which you should be doing anytrime you're using power
tools anyway.)

I spent a long time considering before choosing the Rat over the Leigh
D4. As far as dovetails are concerned, I prefer the Rat ove the D4 or
other machines for several reasons. One big one is that I'm not limited
to specific DT bits with the Rat. With the D4 you are limited to a
specific angle.

I was also sold on those HSS dovetail cutters. Compared to them, all
the carbide tipped DT bits look fat to me. The dovetails from those
bits are definitely lifeless in my eyes. that's just me of course.

The other reason I chose the Rat over the D4 was cost vs. function and
space. I don't have room in my shop to store a dovetailer as well as a
mortiser and tenoner. I would also like to spend my shop money on
things like L-N hand planes and wood. The Rat was a more cost effective
choice for me.

Finally, to address the business of bit changes, I don't think it is
anymore difficult to change bits with the router on a Rat than it would
be with the router in a table. Still the folks that make the Eliminator
chuck which ahs been around for Porter Cable routers for sometime, now
offer them for DeWalt and Bosch routers. What a cool thing that is!
Dave