Posted to rec.woodworking
bob bob is offline

Default What would YOU do with this thing?

Our 1950s house came with this funky Majestic indoor grill, built in next to
the fireplace.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bomobob/MajesticGrill

From what little I've been able to find, it's a gas grill, though the house
was never equipped with gas. I suspect someone used it with charcoal,
because there's still a lot of gunk inside.
I have no intention of grilling steaks in the livingroom, though the idea
makes me chuckle.

I don't want to remove it, because it looks kind of cool. So, I'd like to
convert it into something, but can't decide what. The crank mechanism raises
and lowers the internal rack, and that strikes me as something that could
have some potental.

Anyone have any novel ideas for a second incarnation of this funny feature?

Thanks,

Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking

Certainly off topic but it brought back fond memories. We had a
Majestic gas grille many years ago that I purchased and installed. It
was a "drop in" design that installed in a counter and all you could
see was the grate and a bezel or whatever you call it.

Ours worked on natural gas. However, I seem to remember that Majestic
made a charcol version.

In any case, they are no longer in business. I needed a replacement
part about 10-15 years ago and they were no where to be found. It's
too bad as they really made a super product.

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 15:04:24 -0400, "bob" wrote:

Our 1950s house came with this funky Majestic indoor grill, built in next to
the fireplace.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bomobob/MajesticGrill

From what little I've been able to find, it's a gas grill, though the house
was never equipped with gas. I suspect someone used it with charcoal,
because there's still a lot of gunk inside.
I have no intention of grilling steaks in the livingroom, though the idea
makes me chuckle.

I don't want to remove it, because it looks kind of cool. So, I'd like to
convert it into something, but can't decide what. The crank mechanism raises
and lowers the internal rack, and that strikes me as something that could
have some potental.

Anyone have any novel ideas for a second incarnation of this funny feature?

Thanks,

Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 18, 3:04 pm, "bob" wrote:
Our 1950s house came with this funky Majestic indoor grill, built in next to
the fireplace.

First of all, I'd burn the wooden cat in it. Then I'd remove the grill
including the cat's ashes 'cept a few grains of the ash, which I would
store in a small container and sell on eBay at The Cat's Ash.

Seriously, Bob, I think it's a matter of opinion, mine being that it
should be removed and the brickwork acid cleaned and maybe install a
couple of really heavy (2" thick) exotic wood shelves. Maybe even
three shelves of different depths...but thick ones... even 2 1/2"..
almost beam-like.

....kidding about the cat, btw... It's kinda neat.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bob bob is offline

"Robatoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 18, 3:04 pm, "bob" wrote:
Our 1950s house came with this funky Majestic indoor grill, built in next
the fireplace.

First of all, I'd burn the wooden cat in it. Then I'd remove the grill
including the cat's ashes 'cept a few grains of the ash, which I would
store in a small container and sell on eBay at The Cat's Ash.

Seriously, Bob, I think it's a matter of opinion, mine being that it
should be removed and the brickwork acid cleaned and maybe install a
couple of really heavy (2" thick) exotic wood shelves. Maybe even
three shelves of different depths...but thick ones... even 2 1/2"..
almost beam-like.

...kidding about the cat, btw... It's kinda neat.

Yeah, it's kinda OT, but not completely. What's not shown to the left of the
grill is the kitchen that I'm doing in cherry. The grill isn't really IN the
kitchen, but sort of serves as a dividing line. The people who had the house
built added an extension about a year after they moved in, including the
grill and fireplace. Something in tune with the kichen would be nice.
I've thought about removing the grill entirely, and putting in some heavy
cherry shelves for cookbooks, but there's just something kind of
funky-groovy about the grill that makes it hard to part with.
Someone on a UK newsgroup suggested putting a light inside it, covering the
top with frosted glass, and making it into an uplight shelf. I'm thinkin'
booze bottles.

I carried that cat home from Bali and grafted his legs back on when I got
home. He's not going anywhere. As an interesting aside, to me anyway, 12
years and he still hasn't cracked in two in the Montreal climate.

--
Bob

Travel and Astronomy Photos
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bomo

Posted to rec.woodworking
bob bob is offline

I've added a wide shot for a little more context.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bomobob/MajesticGrill

Posted to rec.woodworking
bob bob is offline

Bob, why ask us? You surely know your wife will be calling the shots
on this one.

Nah, nobody's the boss around here. Hell,.she doesn't even care when I buy
tools.

--
Bob

Travel and Astronomy Photos
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bomo

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 18, 9:11 pm, "bob" wrote:
Bob, why ask us? You surely know your wife will be calling the shots
on this one.

Nah, nobody's the boss around here. Hell,.she doesn't even care when I buy
tools.

Uhuh.... sure...yup...

*G*

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 15:04:24 -0400, "bob" wrote:

Our 1950s house came with this funky Majestic indoor grill, built in next to
the fireplace.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bomobob/MajesticGrill

From what little I've been able to find, it's a gas grill, though the house
was never equipped with gas. I suspect someone used it with charcoal,
because there's still a lot of gunk inside.
I have no intention of grilling steaks in the livingroom, though the idea
makes me chuckle.

I don't want to remove it, because it looks kind of cool. So, I'd like to
convert it into something, but can't decide what. The crank mechanism raises
and lowers the internal rack, and that strikes me as something that could
have some potental.

Anyone have any novel ideas for a second incarnation of this funny feature?

Thanks,

Bob

I'd put some grow lights in the top of the space, take off the grill
irons, and grow pot plants in the basin.

-T.E.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

Ours worked on natural gas. However, I seem to remember that Majestic
made a charcol version.

In any case, they are no longer in business. I needed a replacement
part about 10-15 years ago and they were no where to be found. It's
too bad as they really made a super product.

I think they evolved into this conglomerate
http://www.majesticproducts.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"bob" wrote

Anyone have any novel ideas for a second incarnation of this funny
feature?

I would rip it out and convert most of the remaining space to wood storage.
You can never have too much wood in the house on a cold winter night.

Posted to rec.woodworking

bob wrote:
Our 1950s house came with this funky Majestic indoor grill, built in
next to the fireplace.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bomobob/MajesticGrill

From what little I've been able to find, it's a gas grill, though the
house was never equipped with gas. I suspect someone used it with
charcoal, because there's still a lot of gunk inside.
I have no intention of grilling steaks in the livingroom, though the
idea makes me chuckle.

I don't want to remove it, because it looks kind of cool. So, I'd
like to convert it into something, but can't decide what. The crank
mechanism raises and lowers the internal rack, and that strikes me as
something that could have some potental.

Anyone have any novel ideas for a second incarnation of this funny
feature?
Thanks,

Bob

I'd learn how to cross-post, for one thing!

Posted to rec.woodworking
bob bob is offline

"Pop`" wrote in message
bob wrote:
Our 1950s house came with this funky Majestic indoor grill, built in
next to the fireplace.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bomobob/MajesticGrill

From what little I've been able to find, it's a gas grill, though the
house was never equipped with gas. I suspect someone used it with
charcoal, because there's still a lot of gunk inside.
I have no intention of grilling steaks in the livingroom, though the
idea makes me chuckle.

I don't want to remove it, because it looks kind of cool. So, I'd
like to convert it into something, but can't decide what. The crank
mechanism raises and lowers the internal rack, and that strikes me as
something that could have some potental.

Anyone have any novel ideas for a second incarnation of this funny
feature?
Thanks,

Bob

I'd learn how to cross-post, for one thing!

He he...

I actually didn' xpost deliberately, because I think there are many people,
me included, who have kill filters for xposts.

Bob

Travel and Astronomy Photos
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bomo

Posted to rec.woodworking

I know what I would do. I'd remove that thing. Maybe use it for an
outdoor patio grill. The space it's in would become a place for a pizza or
bread oven. Nothing like a home made pizza cooked over an open fire! In
fact, if the grill that's there now could fit a large pizza inside, maybe it
could stay. --dave

"bob" wrote in message
Our 1950s house came with this funky Majestic indoor grill, built in next
to the fireplace.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bomobob/MajesticGrill

From what little I've been able to find, it's a gas grill, though the
house was never equipped with gas. I suspect someone used it with
charcoal, because there's still a lot of gunk inside.
I have no intention of grilling steaks in the livingroom, though the idea
makes me chuckle.

I don't want to remove it, because it looks kind of cool. So, I'd like to
convert it into something, but can't decide what. The crank mechanism
raises and lowers the internal rack, and that strikes me as something that
could have some potental.

Anyone have any novel ideas for a second incarnation of this funny
feature?

Thanks,

Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 19, 1:54 am, Thomas Edward Stosterone
wrote:
On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 15:04:24 -0400, "bob" wrote:
Our 1950s house came with this funky Majestic indoor grill, built in next to
the fireplace.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bomobob/MajesticGrill

I'd put some grow lights in the top of the space, take off the grill
irons, and grow pot plants in the basin.

I trust that any law enforcement officers reading this
newsgroup will assume you mispelt 'potted plants'.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 18, 3:04 pm, "bob" wrote:
Our 1950s house came with this funky Majestic indoor grill, built in next to
the fireplace.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bomobob/MajesticGrill

From what little I've been able to find, it's a gas grill, though the house
was never equipped with gas. I suspect someone used it with charcoal,
because there's still a lot of gunk inside.
I have no intention of grilling steaks in the livingroom, though the idea
makes me chuckle.

I don't want to remove it, because it looks kind of cool. So, I'd like to
convert it into something, but can't decide what. The crank mechanism raises
and lowers the internal rack, and that strikes me as something that could
have some potental.

Anyone have any novel ideas for a second incarnation of this funny feature?

Thanks,

Bob

Blacksmith's forge or soaking pit. Make plane arns and temper them
in the comfort of your living room. That cast iron cat looks to be
a perfect anvil.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 15:04:24 -0400, "bob" wrote:

Our 1950s house came with this funky Majestic indoor grill, built in next to
the fireplace.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bomobob/MajesticGrill

From what little I've been able to find, it's a gas grill, though the house
was never equipped with gas. I suspect someone used it with charcoal,
because there's still a lot of gunk inside.
I have no intention of grilling steaks in the livingroom, though the idea
makes me chuckle.

I don't want to remove it, because it looks kind of cool. So, I'd like to
convert it into something, but can't decide what. The crank mechanism raises
and lowers the internal rack, and that strikes me as something that could
have some potental.

Anyone have any novel ideas for a second incarnation of this funny feature?

Thanks,

Bob

Like the other two posters said, use it for wood storage or a planter.
It is a novel thing, but it's wasted space at the same time. I'm
finding it hard to believe they did all that extra brick work just for
this thing.

What is this thing? FragileWarrior Home Repair 13 February 11th 07 05:55 PM
New thing Axe Woodworking 3 January 11th 07 02:32 PM
One thing I can't do [email protected] Woodworking 8 June 4th 06 01:27 AM
What's this leaky thing in my boiler...? - thing.jpg (0/1) fred UK diy 9 August 21st 04 10:51 PM
Help me! what is this thing! steve Electronics 2 June 30th 03 12:24 AM