Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Silestone as Router Table Top?

I believe I saw a post here where someone was gloating about having
found silestone at a good price to make a router table top. Since I
am about to build another riouter table and was thinking about using
MDF with HP laminate the post made me wonder if perhaps silestone
might be better. It seems to have all the qualities a RT
requires--hardness, machinability. The question really is if it is
that much better than MDF. How thick does it have to be to eliminate
all danger of sagging? Will it warp? It should not since I don't see
how moisture could penetrate. Would anyone who is using it as a RT top
please post impressions. Thanks.

Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 7, 10:44 am, Joe Bleau wrote:
I believe I saw a post here where someone was gloating about having
found silestone at a good price to make a router table top. Since I
am about to build another riouter table and was thinking about using
MDF with HP laminate the post made me wonder if perhaps silestone
might be better. It seems to have all the qualities a RT
requires--hardness, machinability. The question really is if it is
that much better than MDF. How thick does it have to be to eliminate
all danger of sagging? Will it warp? It should not since I don't see
how moisture could penetrate. Would anyone who is using it as a RT top
please post impressions. Thanks.

Joe

Silestone is 30 mm. a 24" x 12" won't sag to the point you'd notice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I got into this because of someone's gloat about getting a Silestone
router table top. It sounds great but I thought it was like Corian
and could be machine with woodworking machines. Apparently it can
not. Wonder how the gloater made his cutout to accept his router
plate? It sound like it would make such a fantastic top I am
wondering if I couldn't have a marble shop do the cutout for me.
Any ideas. Thanks.

Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 7, 2:41 pm, Joe Bleau wrote:
I got into this because of someone's gloat about getting a Silestone
router table top. It sounds great but I thought it was like Corian
and could be machine with woodworking machines. Apparently it can
not. Wonder how the gloater made his cutout to accept his router
plate? It sound like it would make such a fantastic top I am
wondering if I couldn't have a marble shop do the cutout for me.
Any ideas. Thanks.

Joe

What happened was a screw up when they did his counter tops and this
was part of the "I am sorry we screwed up" deal.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7 Mar 2007 15:24:41 -0800, "bdeditch" wrote:

What happened was a screw up when they did his counter tops and this
was part of the "I am sorry we screwed up" deal.

Wonder how much I would have to spend to get someone to screw up
something for me and then make me a Silestone RT top?

Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 7, 6:42 pm, Joe Bleau wrote:
On 7 Mar 2007 15:24:41 -0800, "bdeditch" wrote:

What happened was a screw up when they did his counter tops and this
was part of the "I am sorry we screwed up" deal.

Wonder how much I would have to spend to get someone to screw up
something for me and then make me a Silestone RT top?

Joe

Where are you located?

Posted to rec.woodworking

7 Mar 2007 15:46:15 -0800, "Robatoy" wrote:

On Mar 7, 6:42 pm, Joe Bleau wrote:
On 7 Mar 2007 15:24:41 -0800, "bdeditch" wrote:

SNIP

Where are you located?

Florida Keys
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 7, 10:44 am, Joe Bleau wrote:
I believe I saw a post here where someone was gloating about having
found silestone at a good price to make a router table top. Since I
am about to build another riouter table and was thinking about using
MDF with HP laminate the post made me wonder if perhaps silestone
might be better. It seems to have all the qualities a RT
requires--hardness, machinability. The question really is if it is
that much better than MDF. How thick does it have to be to eliminate
all danger of sagging? Will it warp? It should not since I don't see
how moisture could penetrate. Would anyone who is using it as a RT top
please post impressions. Thanks.

Joe

I am the lucky gloater. I have had the table top for a few weeks now
and it is awesome. I just set it up for some edge jointing and my
stock is coming out perfectly square from end to end.

I used to have a laminated mdf (basically an old kitchen countertop)
and my stock would come out somewhat square in the middle, but not at
the ends. This was because there was a sag in the middle. I propped
it up but was still not perfect.

I can tell you that silestone is ideal for this application. I
originally asked my countertop guy if he could do this with granite,
but he resisted saying it would crack much easier. Silestone has much
less chance of shattering since it has resin built into it's
composition. My piece is 24" x 36". They cut out the inset for the
router with their CNC machine. I would definately not try this at
home.

As far as cost goes, I paid nothing, but if you make nice with one of
these guys you could probably get a cutoff from their production shop
fabricated for less than a hundred. If you are in the market for a
new granite countertop, make that part of the deal beforehand.