Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Router table top

Getting ready to buy the laminate for the top and fence. Any reason to not
buy white? Been wondering about glare. 'Course any color even close to wood
is out. Thanks for ya'll's input.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rick Samuel" writes:
Getting ready to buy the laminate for the top and fence. Any reason
to not buy white?

Mine is forest green, mostly because it was the only laminate with a
mirror finish, instead of the more common textured finish.
http://www.delorie.com/wood/projects/router/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Rick Samuel wrote:
Getting ready to buy the laminate for the top and fence. Any reason
to not buy white? Been wondering about glare. 'Course any color even
close to wood is out. Thanks for ya'll's input.

White will show up scratches ect.

How about Black?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 02:10:29 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

Rick Samuel wrote:
Getting ready to buy the laminate for the top and fence. Any reason
to not buy white? Been wondering about glare. 'Course any color even
close to wood is out. Thanks for ya'll's input.

White will show up scratches ect.

How about Black?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Black will show up scratches more than white. With that in mind, buy
the stuff on price and colors that grab your fancy. Mines yellow and
the scratches merely mean I use it.

Pete

Posted to rec.woodworking

Getting ready to buy the laminate for the top and fence. Any reason
to not buy white? Been wondering about glare. 'Course any color even
close to wood is out. Thanks for ya'll's input.

Mine's white, with sort of a mottled/marbled 70's gold pattern. I
think it's the perfect color, because that's the scrap of countertop I
happened to find on the curb when I was ready to build my router table.
I've never had a problem with glare off the router table. For
routing, I would think that light from above or behind the operator
would be more appropriate than a raking light in front of the operator.

I think flatness and smoothness are a lot more important than color.
That said, if I had the choice, I'd generally pick light-colored things
to reflect more light and make the shop seem brighter.
One other consideration - have you looked at UHMW (HDPE) sheets for the
face of your fence? Easy to machine, and it will reduce friction.
Don't worry, it IS available in different colors, if that's your main
priority.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rick Samuel" wrote in
:

Getting ready to buy the laminate for the top and fence. Any reason
to not buy white? Been wondering about glare. 'Course any color even
close to wood is out. Thanks for ya'll's input.

Solid, non-metallic colors are likely to be good choices. My metallic
table saw top reflects the sun quite well directly into my eyes so I put
a board on the part I'm not using. The one I usually use has a white
top, and cuts down on the glare tremendously.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Rick Samuel wrote:
Getting ready to buy the laminate for the top and fence. Any reason to not
buy white?

I followed Pat Warner's advice and made my router table top out of mdf
and just soaked it in Watco. It works great and wears very well. You
might consider that if you have some Watco on hand and don't want to
mess with buying and gluing laminate.

Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

Rick Samuel wrote:
Getting ready to buy the laminate for the top and fence. Any reason to not
buy white? Been wondering about glare. 'Course any color even close to wood
is out. Thanks for ya'll's input.

If there is one in your area, you might want to talk to a countertop
place and see if they've got any scraps they'll give you. I got the
laminate for my router table top for free that way.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

Rick Samuel wrote:
Getting ready to buy the laminate for the top and fence. Any reason to not
buy white?

You don't _like_ white would be one reason. G

Posted to rec.woodworking

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

White will show up scratches ect.

How about Black?

It's worse. G

Mine is black, 'cause I had free black laminate. White (as is my
tablesaw outfeed) is usually cheaper, looks fine when paste waxed for
lubrication purposes, reflects the shop light, and is easy to pencil
notes, stop marks, and indexes on.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rick Samuel" wrote in message
Getting ready to buy the laminate for the top and fence. Any reason to
not buy white? Been wondering about glare. 'Course any color even close
to wood is out. Thanks for ya'll's input.

Any light color - light grey - off white - what's free or in your stock -
what's on sale - a remnant for free - MDF, MDO, plywood, melemine, I don't
thinks it matter's much.
The most important factor is initial flatness and it's ability to stay that
way.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On 11 Oct 2006 21:32:54 -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

I went with this color mainly because it had the roughest texture
they had. The texture reduced friction when sliding the wood across
it.

I also thought it looked pretty cool.

http://www.arealnice.com/Joey/IMG_0017.JPG

Gary

I also went with a lightly textured formica. It definately cuts down
the friction and makes wood move across it more smoothly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Rick Samuel wrote:
Getting ready to buy the laminate for the top and fence. Any reason to not
buy white? Been wondering about glare. 'Course any color even close to wood
is out. Thanks for ya'll's input.

Go with whatever YOU like, I favour off-white if possible, but light
colours are easier to live with.
Nice off cut of Trespa solid Labtop works well for me!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Rick Samuel wrote:
Getting ready to buy the laminate for the top and fence. Any reason to not
buy white? Been wondering about glare. 'Course any color even close to wood
is out. Thanks for ya'll's input.

I went to Home Depot, Found some tile board (used for tub and shower
enclosures) Very smooth and slick, Like $9.00 for a 4x8 sheet. Lamed it
on the table top..and Viola A great router table is born. LOL

byefernow

coping sled plans? bdeditch Woodworking 5 January 31st 06 03:55 PM
Centering router on table base Oleg Lego Woodworking 49 January 15th 06 03:36 AM
router for a Porter-Cable router table? Dave Gower Home Repair 8 March 2nd 05 05:55 AM
router table setup Lewis Woodworking 6 November 25th 04 05:02 PM
An Ultimate Router Table - Part I: A Short Story Unisaw A100 Woodworking 15 August 4th 04 10:43 PM