Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
BIOSMonkey

Default Mounting a silestone vanity top

We bought a custom cut silestone vanity top (being delivered
tomorrow), and I am wondering how to mount it to the vanity (wood).
Do I just use construction adhesive?

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Craig

"BIOSMonkey" wrote...

We bought a custom cut silestone vanity top (being delivered
tomorrow), and I am wondering how to mount it to the vanity (wood).
Do I just use construction adhesive?

Wow, that's news to me. I had assumed that all high end (Corian,
Silestone, granite, etc.) counters would be sold with professional
installation included.

My installers had a tiny amount of adjusting to do on my Silestone when
they came to install it which required a small grinder. Also, since I had an
undermounted sink, they handled all of that and cut the faucet hole in the
Silestone once the counter was in place. (The sink cutout was, of course,
done at the factory with my sink as a template, so they could get the
dimensions right and polish the sides.)

In any event, this is how my Silestone was installed:

-They had an underlayment board (MDF board or some such thing?) cut onsite
and screwed into the cabinet bases with the board's dimensions designed to
fit under the Silestone behind the counter top's edge features, etc. You
should have your cabinets emptied as some dust is created that'll settle in
the cabinet interior.

-They then checked the Silestone to make sure it fit and did any tiny
grinding needed at that point done, if needed.

-They then placed many beads of caulk on the MDF (or whatever?) board and
placed the Silestone in place.

-Assuming you have back or side-splash Silestone, this is then tested for
fit (with minor grinding done, if needed). Caulk is applied to the back
wall, specially color-matched transparent silicone is applied at the joint
between counter top and backsplash, and the backsplash held in place with
the caulk and silicone caulk making the seal. Additional caulk is then added
along the countertop/wall and backsplash/wall joint.

-From this point on, it's just cleanup--and they're off to the next job.

Good luck. Given the cost of material, I'd be afraid to try this on my
own. And I don't have a grinder or stone-cutting circular hole-saw making my
job impossible to do myself. A top-mounted sink with the faucet hole in the
sink rather than the Silestone might make this a user-installable job, but
undermounted sinks or faucets that arise from the Silestone instead of the
sink probably make this a "professional" installation.

Craig