Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Newbie questions about compressor and finish nailer....

I'm new here, but I have a few questions that it seems you all may be
able to answer for me.... I did a search and came across some basics,
but I want to make sure.

I recently acquired a Porter Cable 6 gallon oilless "pancake"
compressor with finish nailer, brad nailer and stapler for a large
project; I've finished the project now - these tools are seriously
wonderful, they saved me loads of time and hassles. I'll be using them
off and on, probably pull the compressor out about once a month for
working on the car or something, and use the nailers for a project
maybe once or twice a year.

So, I'm wondering now about care and feeding - now that this project
is done, I'll be an infrequent, low-volume user, so what should I pay
attention to for storage? They'll be stored in a cool basement, not
damp and up on shelves in their original boxes. I've drained the
compressor, but should I leave the drain valve open or should I close
it? And oiling the nailers; the instructions say 5-6 drops each use,
but that seems like a lot - how much oil should I use for a dozen
quick shots? Does it matter, and will the tools gum up if I use too
much oil and then leave them on the shelf for a year?

Sorry if these questions seem basic, but I've not had any previous
experience with pneumatic tools, and the instructions didn't address
storage. I'd like these tools to last; any advice would be
appreciated, thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"grruffbowwow" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm new here, but I have a few questions that it seems you all may be
able to answer for me.... I did a search and came across some basics,
but I want to make sure.

I recently acquired a Porter Cable 6 gallon oilless "pancake"
compressor with finish nailer, brad nailer and stapler for a large
project; I've finished the project now - these tools are seriously
wonderful, they saved me loads of time and hassles. I'll be using them
off and on, probably pull the compressor out about once a month for
working on the car or something, and use the nailers for a project
maybe once or twice a year.

Those compressors are great for nail guns, blowing off work bench tops, and
airing up your tires. Forget about using that sized compressor for impact
wrenches, air ratchets, or any thing that a mechanic would use.

So, I'm wondering now about care and feeding - now that this project
is done, I'll be an infrequent, low-volume user, so what should I pay
attention to for storage? They'll be stored in a cool basement, not
damp and up on shelves in their original boxes. I've drained the
compressor, but should I leave the drain valve open or should I close
it?

IMHO it would be best to leave a little pressure in the tank, 2 or 4 pounds
if you are going to have it set up for an extended period of time.

And oiling the nailers; the instructions say 5-6 drops each use,
but that seems like a lot - how much oil should I use for a dozen
quick shots?

A couple of drops will be fine for a few shots. 5-6 drops for 1/2 day
continuious use.

Does it matter, and will the tools gum up if I use too
much oil and then leave them on the shelf for a year?

Too much oil and they will pray your project with oil.
Put a protectice cover over the inlet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Has anyone used the Porter-Cable pancake to run an
airbrush like badger or pasche?

John Flatley
Jacksonville, Florida

--
One consolation about memory loss in old age is that
you also forget a lot of things you didn't intend to

"Leon" wrote in message

| "grruffbowwow" wrote in
message

oups.com...
| I'm new here, but I have a few questions that it
seems you all may be
| able to answer for me.... I did a search and came
across some basics,
| but I want to make sure.
|
| I recently acquired a Porter Cable 6 gallon oilless
"pancake"
| compressor with finish nailer, brad nailer and
stapler for a large
| project; I've finished the project now - these
tools are seriously
| wonderful, they saved me loads of time and hassles.
I'll be using them
| off and on, probably pull the compressor out about
once a month for
| working on the car or something, and use the
nailers for a project
| maybe once or twice a year.
|
| Those compressors are great for nail guns, blowing
off work bench tops, and
| airing up your tires. Forget about using that sized
compressor for impact
| wrenches, air ratchets, or any thing that a mechanic
would use.

| So, I'm wondering now about care and feeding - now
that this project
| is done, I'll be an infrequent, low-volume user, so
what should I pay
| attention to for storage? They'll be stored in a
cool basement, not
| damp and up on shelves in their original boxes.
I've drained the
| compressor, but should I leave the drain valve open
or should I close
| it?
|
| IMHO it would be best to leave a little pressure in
the tank, 2 or 4 pounds
| if you are going to have it set up for an extended
period of time.

| And oiling the nailers; the instructions say 5-6
drops each use,
| but that seems like a lot - how much oil should I
use for a dozen
| quick shots?
|
| A couple of drops will be fine for a few shots. 5-6
drops for 1/2 day
| continuious use.
|

| Does it matter, and will the tools gum up if I use
too
| much oil and then leave them on the shelf for a
year?

| Too much oil and they will pray your project with
oil.
| Put a protectice cover over the inlet.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Yep. Works a hell of a lot better than those microcompressors they sell for
the purpose.

"Leon" wrote in message

| "grruffbowwow" wrote in
message

oups.com...
| I'm new here, but I have a few questions that it
seems you all may be
| able to answer for me.... I did a search and came
across some basics,
| but I want to make sure.
|
| I recently acquired a Porter Cable 6 gallon oilless
"pancake"
| compressor with finish nailer, brad nailer and
stapler for a large
| project; I've finished the project now - these
tools are seriously
| wonderful, they saved me loads of time and hassles.
I'll be using them
| off and on, probably pull the compressor out about
once a month for
| working on the car or something, and use the
nailers for a project
| maybe once or twice a year.
|
| Those compressors are great for nail guns, blowing
off work bench tops, and
| airing up your tires. Forget about using that sized
compressor for impact
| wrenches, air ratchets, or any thing that a mechanic
would use.

| So, I'm wondering now about care and feeding - now
that this project
| is done, I'll be an infrequent, low-volume user, so
what should I pay
| attention to for storage? They'll be stored in a
cool basement, not
| damp and up on shelves in their original boxes.
I've drained the
| compressor, but should I leave the drain valve open
or should I close
| it?
|
| IMHO it would be best to leave a little pressure in
the tank, 2 or 4 pounds
| if you are going to have it set up for an extended
period of time.

| And oiling the nailers; the instructions say 5-6
drops each use,
| but that seems like a lot - how much oil should I
use for a dozen
| quick shots?
|
| A couple of drops will be fine for a few shots. 5-6
drops for 1/2 day
| continuious use.
|

| Does it matter, and will the tools gum up if I use
too
| much oil and then leave them on the shelf for a
year?

| Too much oil and they will pray your project with
oil.
| Put a protectice cover over the inlet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks CW for the quick good news/bad news reply.

Good news: I don't have to buy another compressor.

Bad news: Airbrushing scroll saw work just got added
to an already crowded list of projects. :-)

John Flatley
Jacksonville, Florida

--
“If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's
recreation. If you work at it, it's golf.” -- Bob Hope

"CW" wrote in message
ink.net...
| Yep. Works a hell of a lot better than those
microcompressors they sell for
| the purpose.
|
| "John Flatley" wrote in
message
| Has anyone used the Porter-Cable pancake to run an
| airbrush like badger or pasche?
|
| John Flatley
| Jacksonville, Florida
|
| --
| One consolation about memory loss in old age is
that
| you also forget a lot of things you didn't intend
| remember in the first place.
|

| "Leon" wrote in
message

| |
| | "grruffbowwow" wrote in
| message
| |

oups.com...
| | I'm new here, but I have a few questions that
it
| seems you all may be
| | able to answer for me.... I did a search and
came
| across some basics,
| | but I want to make sure.
| |
| | I recently acquired a Porter Cable 6 gallon
oilless
| "pancake"
| | compressor with finish nailer, brad nailer and
| stapler for a large
| | project; I've finished the project now - these
| tools are seriously
| | wonderful, they saved me loads of time and
hassles.
| I'll be using them
| | off and on, probably pull the compressor out
about
| once a month for
| | working on the car or something, and use the
| nailers for a project
| | maybe once or twice a year.
| |
| | Those compressors are great for nail guns,
blowing
| off work bench tops, and
| | airing up your tires. Forget about using that
sized
| compressor for impact
| | wrenches, air ratchets, or any thing that a
mechanic
| would use.
| |
| |
| | So, I'm wondering now about care and feeding -
now
| that this project
| | is done, I'll be an infrequent, low-volume
user, so
| what should I pay
| | attention to for storage? They'll be stored in
| cool basement, not
| | damp and up on shelves in their original boxes.
| I've drained the
| | compressor, but should I leave the drain valve
open
| or should I close
| | it?
| |
| | IMHO it would be best to leave a little pressure
in
| the tank, 2 or 4 pounds
| | if you are going to have it set up for an
extended
| period of time.
| |
| | And oiling the nailers; the instructions say 5-6
| drops each use,
| | but that seems like a lot - how much oil should
| use for a dozen
| | quick shots?
| |
| | A couple of drops will be fine for a few shots.
5-6
| drops for 1/2 day
| | continuious use.
| |
| |
| | Does it matter, and will the tools gum up if I
use
| too
| | much oil and then leave them on the shelf for a
| year?
| |