Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Possible dumb questions brad nailer/compressor

Hi all:

Long time, no post. (C: I'm in the market for a brad nailer and
compressor--but I don't want to spend a lot of money, because I'm not
going to use it a ton (plus, I'm cheap). I was looking on Amazon at
the Grizzly H5527 nailer: http://tinyurl.com/rsc5d. I was also looking
at the
Campbell Hausfeld 1 gallon pancake compressor:
http://tinyurl.com/rwxh9.

I realize neither of these are heavy duty tools, but for the 2-3 times
in a month I'd use them, will they suffice? I generally work with oak
(sometimes maple or cherry), and usually nothing thicker than 3/4", so
it looks like the nailer will drive brads that are long enough.

The nailer needs 70-110 PSI to drive it, and the compressor is rated at
90/100 PSI--so if I read the stats right, they should be a good match?

The other thing I'm wondering--are there nailer/compressor combos
(either sold as a set or individual pieces) I should consider? I can
tell you the closer I stay to the sub- $150 range, the happier my Chief
Financial Officer (a.k.a. the wife) will be with me... :-/

Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

hello,

I got one of the Harbour freight compressor on sale for $99 (6 galon, 115
PSI max from memory) and a couple of nailers (a mix small gage/stapple and a
smaller brad only (up to 1 1/4" I think)... like you, lite useage, and I am
more than happy with it, especially with the low price (the small nailer was
on sale for $7!)...

cyrille

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
No No is offline

wrote:
[...]

Look for the PC kits IIRC they have a kit with a brad or 16G nailer in
your price range. Also, I saw a special at woodpeckers for an oil lube
compressor for $120. http://www.woodpeck.com/aircompressors.html (Sign
up for their e-club to get that price) and a nailer for $79
http://www.woodpeck.com/nailgun.html (Again, sign of for their e-club to
get that price) Thats a very good price for a compressor with those
specs I think. Special price expires 7/28.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Look for the PC kits IIRC they have a kit with a brad or 16G nailer in
your price range. Also, I saw a special at woodpeckers for an oil lube
compressor for $120. http://www.woodpeck.com/aircompressors.html (Sign up
for their e-club to get that price) and a nailer for $79
http://www.woodpeck.com/nailgun.html (Again, sign of for their e-club to
get that price) Thats a very good price for a compressor with those specs
I think. Special price expires 7/28.

I am looking to buy a lift from them. Is everything cheaper, or just sale
items?

Posted to rec.woodworking

you should at least check harbor freight. i have several of their air
nailers and they will proform as well as the expensive ones. also have a
small portable, handle type compresser bought at menards for $55.00 on
sale handles the job
fine.
ross
www.highislandexport.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Another compressor to consider is one of the 2.5HP oil-lubed models
from Grizzly's Overstock section.
http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/category.aspx?key=120000
They're the same price, but the twin tank model is a few pounds
lighter, so there's no additional shipping charge.
No experience with them, but I've heard oil-lubed is the way to go
(lasts longer and runs quieter) and I just saw the sale.
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

wrote:
Hi all:

Long time, no post. (C: I'm in the market for a brad nailer and
compressor--

http://www.tools-plus.com/p-ccffn251tr.html

Here's reconditioned PC compressor with 2 nailers and a stapler. I'd
jump all over it if I could find someway to justify having 2 of
everything.

Might be more than you want to spend (199), but it's nice to have an 18
guage nailer for trim and a 16 gauge nailer for heavier stuff (like
"holding wood in place until the glue dries). The stapler is nice for
fastening 1/4 plywood to the back of bookcases and many other uses.

Posted to rec.woodworking

There seems to be a consensus that this is one area where Harbor
Freight is tough to beat. Their 1 1/4 and 2" brad nailers go on sale
frequently for $10 to $20 and work pretty darn well.

As for the compressor, for just a brad nailer, about anything with a
tank will be OK. The compressor I'm using now is so old it says
"Riverside" on it. I didn't buy it new but I am old enough to know
what it means. Anyone else care to show their age?
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland