Posted to rec.woodworking
gb gb is offline

Default Akeda jig Sliding Dovetails

"gb" wrote in message news:...
I have attached a PDF file that Kevan Lear sent me concerning this problem.
In a nut shell (even though the manual does not say this) you need to use
the Dovetail cutter that conforms to their guide for depth of cut (see
pages 11 and 12 of the manual). This solves the problem.
GB

"gb" wrote in message
. ..
I hope you can help me with a project problem. I am using my new Akeda DC
to make a wall hanging shelf with 1/2" poplar stock (final project will
be
3/4" cherry).
Through dovetails will join the four corners and a sliding dovetail will
be
the joint for the one shelf.

In my test piece, I have cut the through dovetails but I am having
trouble
with the sliding dovetail. After fixing some sloppy setup measurements,
the
shoulders (depth if cut) are okay but, the socket is a consistent,
almost,
1/16" wider than the pin from top to bottom.

I am using the 11 degree bit set at a depth of 13/16" (9/16"+1/4"-- I
have
ribbed guide rails and I want the joint to be 1/4" deep). I change
nothing
on the router between each cut. The shelf is registered against two
tail
guides with the housing joint template installed for the cut. I used the
front guide rail as the fence. The socket is cut with the boards in the
horizontal position. All cutters and the guide bushing are from Akeda.
My
PC 690 does not appear to have bad bearings, the cutter and the guide
bushing are tight.

What am I missing?