Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Anyone in the market for an Akeda jig?

http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?fam...&BestSell=True
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks.

Got it.

Was missing mounting screws.

Group came up with the size
and
Kevan, the guy who designed the jig called
me back with the size as well - on a Sunday.

THAT'S CUSTOMER SERVICE

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlie b" wrote in message
Thanks.

Got it.

Was missing mounting screws.

Group came up with the size
and
Kevan, the guy who designed the jig called
me back with the size as well - on a Sunday.

THAT'S CUSTOMER SERVICE

The part about leaving parts out of the kit or a phone call telling you what
size to buy?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

"charlie b" wrote in message
Thanks.

Got it.

Was missing mounting screws.

Group came up with the size
and
Kevan, the guy who designed the jig called
me back with the size as well - on a Sunday.

THAT'S CUSTOMER SERVICE

The part about leaving parts out of the kit or a phone call telling you what
size to buy?

Hey- between the jig itself and the DC Accessories Kit there's
a boat load of parts 9 for each of 5 pins guides, 9 for the tails,
9 for half blind DTs, two "clip in" fillers you can cut up to fill
spaces
so you don't route where you shouldn't (nice touch and thought
ful), a brass gujide set for the router base, 2 half blind pin stops
AND a wire router cord holder to keep it out of the way while
routing (there's a hole near the rear edge of the top of the jig -
on both ends ) - again, a handy thing Kevan thought to include
with the jig/accessories kit. Did I mention the two lexan "shutters"
to improve dust collection in some situations? Again - well thought
out details.

Evan Lee Valley has made a mistake now and then. But they
go the extra mile to make things right. I'd put Kevan and
AKEDA in that category based on my experience. JoinTech is
up there with them as well, along with Pat Warner and Ed
Bennett of TS-Aligner.

I had some parts problems with Laguna Tools on both my
X-31 combi($6K+) and LT16SEC bandsaw ($1.2K) and with
General International on my mortising machine ($0.8K).
Those took 5 months, 6 weeks and three months respectively
to resolve. So a 24 hour resolution time is pretty damn
good!

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlie b" wrote in message
I had some parts problems with Laguna Tools on both my
X-31 combi($6K+) and LT16SEC bandsaw ($1.2K) and with
General International on my mortising machine ($0.8K).
Those took 5 months, 6 weeks and three months respectively
to resolve. So a 24 hour resolution time is pretty damn
good!

charlie b

My point was, being in the service industry, you should not have to "ask"
for Good customer service. Good customer service is you not having to call
for help because of missing parts. Good customer service is a process that
begins long before you purchase the product.

That point being made, It is always a plus when the manufacturer does indeed
respond quickly to a problem as you have witnessed.

I though the Akeda jig was pretty cool however like you mentioned there are
a lot of parts to keep track of. I do have the Leigh but if considering the
Akeda I think I would pass because of all of the loose parts. Certainly not
a functional problem but just something else to keep track of. ;~)

I'd be interested in hearing more comments about your new Akeda as you use
it more.