Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Repair of an 1800's wood-framed upright piano... what glue?

I have an 1840 upright which is of the same type as Chopin used to
use.

I got it for relatively cheap and it arrived with a cracked left leg,
but it is a historic instrument with potential worth.

the crack makes the leg move side to side and runs half way up the
side of the piano.

anyway the crack has been repaired before with some blackish hide-glue
and a few dowels unsuccessfully.

the problem lies in the fact that the crack is not totally accessable,
the wood is oxidized and somewhat dirty with dust and glue.

I can clamp it together alright but I am not sure hide glue will stick
properly to the surface..since it is not a fresh crack..

should I go for hide glue anyway or should I use titebond?

should I crack the leg off and clean the crack with warm water etc?

any tips on what I can do??

Posted to rec.woodworking

alfred wrote:
I have an 1840 upright which is of the same type as Chopin used to
use.

I got it for relatively cheap and it arrived with a cracked left leg,
but it is a historic instrument with potential worth.

snip
the problem lies in the fact that the crack is not totally accessable,
the wood is oxidized and somewhat dirty with dust and glue.

I can clamp it together alright but I am not sure hide glue will stick
properly to the surface..since it is not a fresh crack..

New hide glue will stick to old hide glue. However, with dust and dirt
and crap in there I'd be tempted to try and wash it out with warm water
first.

I'd probably stay away from yellow glues as they would be very difficult
to re-glue if it cracked again.

I'm no expert, so I'm curious to see what the others have to say.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

I have tried using hide glue but since the joint is relatively wide
and long (cracked off) the hide glue cools off too fast before I can
clamp it properly.

I tried adding water and making the hide glue thinner but no go.

so I was thinking titebond would be better.

but one problem I do have is that any thickness due to the glue not
squeezing out makes it so that the joint is misaligned..

how should I approach the problem with titebond?

how much time have I got before titebond loses adhesive qualities?

Posted to rec.woodworking

alfred wrote:

I have tried using hide glue but since the joint is relatively wide
and long (cracked off) the hide glue cools off too fast before I can
clamp it properly.

Try the liquid hide glue. Not quite as strong, but plenty strong enough.
--
It's turtles, all the way down