Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Laser Level Recomendations? Need To Sister Sagging Floor Joists

I have to do some under-the-house work sistering floor joists to
correct a pretty serious sag. (any pointer to a place to get info.
about that would be appreciated.)

A guy was telling me about a laser leveling system he got at Sam's
Club for about $60 that came with two things to hang on opposing walls
and would easily work for what I need to do.

Any recommendations? Brand names? I saw a single unit that put out
lasers in 4 directions and vertically, but it was $200. Would
something from Harbor Freight be good enough?

Thnaks in advance for any advice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"KIMOSABE" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have to do some under-the-house work sistering floor joists to
correct a pretty serious sag. (any pointer to a place to get info.
about that would be appreciated.)

A guy was telling me about a laser leveling system he got at Sam's
Club for about $60 that came with two things to hang on opposing walls
and would easily work for what I need to do.

Any recommendations? Brand names? I saw a single unit that put out
lasers in 4 directions and vertically, but it was $200. Would
something from Harbor Freight be good enough?

Thnaks in advance for any advice.

A couple of tight strings will get you what you need at almost no cost!
If the joists are not level at each end the laser level will just make the
situation bug you more! A string pulled tight below the joist will give you
a straight reference line to use to get it all straightened out.
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Feb 14, 7:14 pm, "KIMOSABE" wrote:
I have to do some under-the-house work sistering floor joists to
correct a pretty serious sag. (any pointer to a place to get info.
about that would be appreciated.)

A guy was telling me about a laser leveling system he got at Sam's
Club for about $60 that came with two things to hang on opposing walls
and would easily work for what I need to do.

Any recommendations? Brand names? I saw a single unit that put out
lasers in 4 directions and vertically, but it was $200. Would
something from Harbor Freight be good enough?

Thnaks in advance for any advice.

Overkill, as mentioned. Rough carpentry is just that: rough. I'd find
a straight couple of joists(or even slightly crowned), trim them to
size, and sister away. Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 14, 10:14 pm, "KIMOSABE" wrote:
I have to do some under-the-house work sistering floor joists to
correct a pretty serious sag. (any pointer to a place to get info.
about that would be appreciated.)

(snip)

Recent article in either last or this months Fine Homebuilding on all
the options to correct sagging floor. Everything from sister joists
to new supports with lots of other interesting options.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have to do some under-the-house work sistering floor joists to
correct a pretty serious sag. (any pointer to a place to get info.
about that would be appreciated.)
A guy was telling me about a laser leveling system

Overkill. As another user suggested, just use a string. There's no
guarantee the supports on each end of joists are level to start with.

If you really want level, just pick up some clear tubing and make a water
level. Cheap, reliable, and easy to use. It also works around corners or
behind obstructions, something a laser can't do.

We used a water level to build the foundation of our house and garage. They
work great.

I like to stick one end of the tube in a bottle of water and secure that so
it can't slip out. It's easier to use than just trying to balance out the
two ends of a tube.

Be sure to bleed out any air bubbles before you start taking measurements.

Anthony

Laser Level Weatherlawyer UK diy 13 February 25th 06 09:21 PM
Recomendations for 360 Laser Scott Townsend Home Repair 2 December 31st 05 12:55 PM
Rotary laser level not even close to level Fred Home Repair 7 October 4th 05 12:06 AM
detect the laser from my laser level? HotRod Home Repair 6 September 23rd 05 04:58 PM
Level beam but floors still sagging?? Jeff C Home Repair 5 January 23rd 05 02:06 PM