Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 48" wide bottom drawer

I'm building a built-in entertainment center and am trying to figure out
the best way to design the bottom drawer. The entertainment center is
approx 48'(1200mm) wide and 24'(600mm) deep. At the very bottom I would
like to put a single drawer that is 12'(300mm) tall.

What kind of slide mechanism should I use? Side/bottom/ball
bearing/roller? (The inside bottom is flat and solid so there is a large
flat surface to utilize)

I'm thinking that because of the size and weight of the drawer the
bottom mount would provide the best support, but I've never done any
building beyond framing so any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Jason
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 14, 11:40 am, J Scarlett wrote:
I'm building a built-in entertainment center and am trying to figure out
the best way to design the bottom drawer. The entertainment center is
approx 48'(1200mm) wide and 24'(600mm) deep. At the very bottom I would
like to put a single drawer that is 12'(300mm) tall.

What kind of slide mechanism should I use? Side/bottom/ball
bearing/roller? (The inside bottom is flat and solid so there is a large
flat surface to utilize)

I'm thinking that because of the size and weight of the drawer the
bottom mount would provide the best support, but I've never done any
building beyond framing so any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Jason

I agree with bottom-mount. 48" wide is very wide and you might
consider 3 slides, evenly-spaced along the bottom..

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J Scarlett" wrote in message

I'm thinking that because of the size and weight of the drawer the
bottom mount would provide the best support, but I've never done any
building beyond framing so any help is appreciated.

Personally, and unless looks are a big factor, I would go with a heavy duty
pair of side mounts.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/07/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Accuride makes several slides for large and heavy applications.

http://www.accuride.com/products/industrial/index.php

I would use 1/2" plywood for the entire drawer.

The proper side mount slide will be more than enough.

Be prepared for a rather stiff charge for such slides.

A smaller set of drawers(2) would be a great deal easier
to deal with....

http://www.accuride.com/products/ind...iderations.php

On a drawer that large, you get a lot of lateral
swing, which means the drawer is constantly trying to jump
out of the track.

Large drawers attract large amounts of stuff that can get
quite heavy.

Of course you will have "very" tight tolerances when installing
a drawer that large with 1/8" being the slack side.

This means you must be VERY accurate on your box building and
getting everthing VERY square. Any mistakes will result in a
very poor fitting drawer.

J Scarlett wrote:

I'm building a built-in entertainment center and am trying to figure out
the best way to design the bottom drawer. The entertainment center is
approx 48'(1200mm) wide and 24'(600mm) deep. At the very bottom I would
like to put a single drawer that is 12'(300mm) tall.

What kind of slide mechanism should I use? Side/bottom/ball
bearing/roller? (The inside bottom is flat and solid so there is a large
flat surface to utilize)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 14, 1:40 pm, J Scarlett wrote:
I'm building a built-in entertainment center and am trying to figure out
the best way to design the bottom drawer. The entertainment center is
approx 48'(1200mm) wide and 24'(600mm) deep. At the very bottom I would
like to put a single drawer that is 12'(300mm) tall.

What kind of slide mechanism should I use? Side/bottom/ball
bearing/roller? (The inside bottom is flat and solid so there is a large
flat surface to utilize)

Considering the width of the drawer, and the wood expansion/
contraction factor, side slides may not work well; they may jump the
track or jam when the temperature/moisture level changes. Couple of
years ago I built an entertainment center for a 50' TV, which has two
48' wide drawers at the bottom. I did not use any slides. Just nailed
wood strips inside the cabinet to guide the drawers on both sides, and
applied paste wax. They work perfectly. No jamming. No roller needed.

Most high end furniture from stores use a center slide below the
drawer, which does not have the issue of wood expansion as opposed to
the side slides.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 14, 4:11 pm, J Scarlett wrote:
Was the TV centered over one of the drawers or between the two drawers?
I'm wondering about potential sagging of the shelf to hold the TV and
whether or not it may need some reinforcing/center support. Ideas?
Thanks again.

2 drawers below the TV shelf as mentioned below. I used 1/4' plywood
as the backboard (nailed to the case and the shelves from behind) to
counter the sagging. I also ran a 3/4 by 1-1/2' strip below the shelf
(resessed about 6' from the front) that serves as a reinsforcement. It
compromised the drawer's inner space (hight) a little bit, but since
these are HUGE drawers, a little loss of space is no big deal.

The drawer bottom is 1/4 plywood that sits in the dados of the drawer
front/back/sides so it won't sag. I did not run any center support at
the bottom of the drawer, but I think it's probably a good idea, since
the drawer bottom might pop out of the dados when the front is pulled
and flexed due to it's 48' length, although it has not happened yet.

Considering the width of the drawer, and the wood expansion/
contraction factor, side slides may not work well; they may jump the
track or jam when the temperature/moisture level changes. Couple of
years ago I built an entertainment center for a 50' TV, which has two
48' wide drawers at the bottom. I did not use any slides. Just nailed
wood strips inside the cabinet to guide the drawers on both sides, and
applied paste wax. They work perfectly. No jamming. No roller needed.

Most high end furniture from stores use a center slide below the
drawer, which does not have the issue of wood expansion as opposed to
the side slides.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 14, 12:40 pm, J Scarlett wrote:
I'm building a built-in entertainment center and am trying to figure out
the best way to design the bottom drawer. The entertainment center is
approx 48'(1200mm) wide and 24'(600mm) deep. At the very bottom I would
like to put a single drawer that is 12'(300mm) tall.

What kind of slide mechanism should I use? Side/bottom/ball
bearing/roller? (The inside bottom is flat and solid so there is a large
flat surface to utilize)

I'm thinking that because of the size and weight of the drawer the
bottom mount would provide the best support, but I've never done any
building beyond framing so any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Jason

what the floor? what about putting it on casters and rolling it on the
floor like a small trundle bed? some guides on the sides would keep it
square to the frame so it wouldn't bind up.

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/chaniarts

Posted to rec.woodworking

The first question I would be asking is : What are you putting in this
rather large drawer. The weight of the items inside can play a factor in all
of this. Enev with the best side mounted slides if the middle sags, your
done. If you even think that it will get loaded up with things, like
magazines by "acident" then three bottom mount slides would allow for even
the heavest load. Since we humans are REAL bad at predicting what will end
up in a draw, go for the heavest estimate. Good luck

PS, two smaller draws will help limit the junk collection that WILL happen.
"J Scarlett" wrote in message
I'm building a built-in entertainment center and am trying to figure out
the best way to design the bottom drawer. The entertainment center is
approx 48'(1200mm) wide and 24'(600mm) deep. At the very bottom I would
like to put a single drawer that is 12'(300mm) tall.

What kind of slide mechanism should I use? Side/bottom/ball
bearing/roller? (The inside bottom is flat and solid so there is a large
flat surface to utilize)

I'm thinking that because of the size and weight of the drawer the bottom
mount would provide the best support, but I've never done any building
beyond framing so any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Jason

Posted to rec.woodworking

J Scarlett wrote:

What the heck is THIS DOING HERE? It doesn't have ANYTHING to do with
global warming!
;-)

(I don't know the answer to your questions but my mind left skid marks
when I hit upon your posting after a seemingly endless chain regarding
global warming.)

As you were. Carry on.
Bill

rascal less in the world.
Thomas Carlyle (1795 - 1881)
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000714-0, 02/15/2007
Tested on: 2/15/2007 11:35:15 PM