Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber Pat Barber is offline

Default 48" wide bottom drawer

Accuride makes several slides for large and heavy applications.

http://www.accuride.com/products/industrial/index.php

I would use 1/2" plywood for the entire drawer.

The proper side mount slide will be more than enough.

Be prepared for a rather stiff charge for such slides.

A smaller set of drawers(2) would be a great deal easier
to deal with....

http://www.accuride.com/products/ind...iderations.php

On a drawer that large, you get a lot of lateral
swing, which means the drawer is constantly trying to jump
out of the track.

Large drawers attract large amounts of stuff that can get
quite heavy.

Of course you will have "very" tight tolerances when installing
a drawer that large with 1/8" being the slack side.

This means you must be VERY accurate on your box building and
getting everthing VERY square. Any mistakes will result in a
very poor fitting drawer.

J Scarlett wrote:

I'm building a built-in entertainment center and am trying to figure out
the best way to design the bottom drawer. The entertainment center is
approx 48'(1200mm) wide and 24'(600mm) deep. At the very bottom I would
like to put a single drawer that is 12'(300mm) tall.

What kind of slide mechanism should I use? Side/bottom/ball
bearing/roller? (The inside bottom is flat and solid so there is a large
flat surface to utilize)