Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Removing smoke (fire) smell

Warehouse burned... Antique table has a touch of heat damage, but not
serious. The piece still has a horrible smoke smell. How does one
remove fire-smoke smell? Refinishing top and legs may eliminate/
prevent smell from there, but no finish on the underside surface.
Bleach? Vinegar? Other? Combination of products?

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny;
Try some of the citrus cleaners available. I have used Orange Blast
and after a couple of cleanings the smoke smell disappears. I would
test the cleaner on the finish first, these cleaners may soften the
finish at full strength.

Good luck

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote in message
oups.com...
Warehouse burned... Antique table has a touch of heat damage, but not
serious. The piece still has a horrible smoke smell. How does one
remove fire-smoke smell? Refinishing top and legs may eliminate/
prevent smell from there, but no finish on the underside surface.
Bleach? Vinegar? Other? Combination of products?

Couple coats of shellac will seal in what you can't clean.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Clean it as best as you can with citrus and other household cleaners.
Several cleanings may be necessary to get as much of the soot and smell off
as you can. This will remove 95% or more of the smell. If the outside isn't
damaged, then I wouldn't do anything else to those areas. With a coat of
good furniture polish you should be ready to go. The inside and underside
areas should also be cleaned as much as possible, but those areas are not
finished as well if at all, so they will have absorbed more of the smoke and
it's nearly impossible clean them to totally remove the smell from these
areas, but you can seal in the smell with one or more coats of shellac.
Shellac is the preferred method used to seal in the fire smell when
professionals are repairing fire damage in structures. They spray it on all
of the burned/charred surfaces that won't be replaced during the renovation.

I have an octagon shaped heavy pine table that my wife had seen in a
furniture store and wanted very badly. Before we could get back to the store
to buy it the store had a big fire that burned most of the second story
(where the table had been). After the fire and insurance settlement, the
owner held a fire sale (in a tent outside) and we found the table in his
sale. It was covered with soot and the top had gobs of melted plastic lamp
shade stuck to it, but the table hadn't actually burned. I bought it for $30
(originally $350) thinking that I would clean it up and maybe refinish the
top. If I failed, it wouldn't be much of a loss, so it was worth the gamble.

Well, after doing what I explained above and then chipping the plastic globs
off of of it, I lightly steel wooled the top. I was able to remove all of
the melted lamp shade and other marks without cutting through the finish
enough to damage the stain. So I put 2 coats of polyurethane on the top, the
shellac on the inside, and that table has now been in my family room for 34
years with no signs (or smells) of the fire that it had been in.

--
Charley

"Sonny" wrote in message
oups.com...
Warehouse burned... Antique table has a touch of heat damage, but not
serious. The piece still has a horrible smoke smell. How does one
remove fire-smoke smell? Refinishing top and legs may eliminate/
prevent smell from there, but no finish on the underside surface.
Bleach? Vinegar? Other? Combination of products?

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks everyone. There is a noted antique collector/dealer whose one
of 3 warehouses burned 3-4 months ago. She often visits our
upholstery class .... I'm taking upholstery classes at the local Tech
school. Wednesday, She informed the class to go salvage whatever we
wanted, before the demolition crew destroyed it. I was the only
student with a truck (2 actually, old and new one). We went and
loaded up both trucks.... several trips. We all got some great
pieces, nothing really burned...just smoke stained/saturated and
smelly. Most pieces had fabric, but reupholstering is not a problem.

The smoke smelled table in question is for another student. I was not
knowledgeable, so I was tryin to help her solve the problem. I'm sure
I may need the info, also, for my pieces. Thanks very much.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

first clean with a degreaser. then after it dries any film based finish will
seal in the smell. but you must use the degreaser not just a cleaner(21
years in the fire restoration business)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks, Leonard. Very much appreciated.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

My first house 15 years ago was a fire damaged house. There are some
places that you can just not clean in a fire damaged house. Like
inside cupboard, bottoms of sinks etc.

For smoke damage TIME and Fresh air cures all pretty quickly.

smoke smell in home ap Home Repair 5 October 12th 06 02:25 AM
Advice on removing smoke smell from electrical equipment Michael Chappell UK diy 0 March 22nd 06 09:58 PM
smoke smell [email protected] Home Ownership 5 December 18th 05 08:39 PM
Help - I smell smoke Steve Woodworking 6 January 5th 05 03:42 PM