Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Stupid Tool Gloat

Hey all:

Went to Sears today to return a defective workout machine my wife had.
Dinna need it anyway as she found a local gym where she goes now, no
harm, no foul.

They would not refund to credit card as it was over 1 year, but gave
me a store credit for the full amount. Great!

Sooo while my wife was shopping elsewhere, I manage to stuff a few
stupid tools into my cart...

1. 18" Craftsman Scroll Saw (with lamp and laser)

2. Dovetail guide for my router

3. A really nice Drill Guide

4. A plastic square. I have now idea why I bought it but it looked
really cool...

All impulse buys... Spent about 10% of the return...

Damn my own eyes!!!

Freddie
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 16:26:01 -0500, Phred
wrote:

1. 18" Craftsman Scroll Saw (with lamp and laser)

So out of curiosity, what does that laser do for you on a scroll saw?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Phred" wrote in message
Hey all:

Went to Sears today to return a defective workout machine my wife had.
Dinna need it anyway as she found a local gym where she goes now, no
harm, no foul.

They would not refund to credit card as it was over 1 year, but gave
me a store credit for the full amount. Great!

Sooo while my wife was shopping elsewhere, I manage to stuff a few
stupid tools into my cart...

1. 18" Craftsman Scroll Saw (with lamp and laser)

2. Dovetail guide for my router

3. A really nice Drill Guide

4. A plastic square. I have now idea why I bought it but it looked
really cool...

All impulse buys... Spent about 10% of the return...

Damn my own eyes!!!

Freddie

I have $500 of Sears gift cards that expire in May. So far I haven't found
anything to buy there; but I suppose in April I will settle for something.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in
:

*snip*

I have $500 of Sears gift cards that expire in May. So far I haven't
found anything to buy there; but I suppose in April I will settle for
something.

Sears has a clothing section for those who don't want their (questionable
quality) tools. ;-)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

I think it was "Toller" who stated:

I have $500 of Sears gift cards that expire in May. So far I haven't found
anything to buy there; but I suppose in April I will settle for something.

Interesting that this thread should come up today. I actually got to
use a Sears tool that I'd recommend. I picked up a Sears EasyFire(tm)

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...0&subcat=Fi x

staple gun several months ago 'cause it was cheap (on clearance at a
grocery store(??)), it intrigued me, and I wanted to have another
stapler handy so I wouldn't have to go out to my Man Garage whenever I
needed one.

Today I used it for the first time, for putting some upholstery fabric
on some chair seats. It felt kind of cheap in my hand and while it was
stapling, and it wouldn't reset itself for the next staple very well
unless I wiggled it a bit, but darned if it wasn't a LOT easier to
place a staple where I wanted it and not leave any staples standing
proud the way my old Swingline staple gun will sometimes do. It left
my hand feeling a lot less tired too (about 350-400 staples!).

OK, that wasn't a resounding recommendation, but it is a better tool
than I was expecting for the price . . . .

-Don

--
The things that come to those that wait are the things left by those who
got there first
Posted to rec.woodworking

I have $500 of Sears gift cards that expire in May. So far I haven't found
anything to buy there; but I suppose in April I will settle for something.

they do (did?) carry a version of a nice little close quarters drill
made by I think metabo.
Sears item #00927996000 Mfr. model #27996.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in
:

I have $500 of Sears gift cards that expire in May. So far I haven't
found anything to buy there; but I suppose in April I will settle for
something.

Clothing for the kids?

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking

I have $500 of Sears gift cards that expire in May. So far I haven't found
anything to buy there; but I suppose in April I will settle for something.- Hide quoted text -

Check to make sure that they expire.

I had some Sears cards that I was told first they would and then they
would NOT expire.

You also may want to check if Kmart will honor them...they just might.

Then the problem is to find something in Kmart you want to buy.

Did I mention that I HATE gift cards and all relatives have been told
NEVER to get gift cards for me?

It would seem over 40% of all gift cards are never refunded...sweet
deal for companies.

TMT

On Feb 4, 6:05 pm, "Toller" wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 00:05:10 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I have $500 of Sears gift cards that expire in May. So far I haven't found
anything to buy there; but I suppose in April I will settle for something.

They've got some nice looking rolling toolboxes....

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 00:05:10 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

"Phred" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

See if they can special order you something decent--there's a lot of
stuff they can get you that's not in the store. And remember that
many of their "professional" tools are rebadged brand names.

If there's nothing in the tools then you might want to consider
putting it toward an appliance of some sort. And there's always
clothing--Levis is Levis no matter where you get them.

Or consider useful nitpick stuff that you wouldn't otherwise have
gotten--every time I walk into Sears I see some under-$50 item that I
can tell would be useful or nice to have but don't want badly enough
to part with under-50 bucks.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 00:05:10 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I have $500 of Sears gift cards that expire in May. So far I haven't found
anything to buy there; but I suppose in April I will settle for something.

Tires. Sears carries name brands.

Sears Hardware stores used to carry Dewalt, Milwaukee in the Houston area. Many of these have since
closed, so don't know if that helps.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

1. 18" Craftsman Scroll Saw (with lamp and laser)

So out of curiosity, what does that laser do for you on a scroll saw?

Help you find the switch?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:xFKxh.4211$_d4.2815
@trndny05:

wrote:

1. 18" Craftsman Scroll Saw (with lamp and laser)

So out of curiosity, what does that laser do for you on a scroll saw?

Help you find the switch?

It's an "aeromatic" feature. The laser is just hot enough to make the
wood smolder, and that releases a pleasant (for Pine and Cedar at least)
aroma.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Prometheus :

On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 16:26:01 -0500, Phred wrote:

1. 18" Craftsman Scroll Saw (with lamp and laser)

So out of curiosity, what does that laser do for
you on a scroll saw?

It shows the line where the saw wön't cut.

SCNR

Rejnold

--
"Never show fear to a computer ... they can smell it.
Boldly go to Start, Settings, Add/Remove programs, and shout,
Posted to rec.woodworking

Prometheus :

wrote:

1. 18" Craftsman Scroll Saw (with lamp and laser)

So out of curiosity, what does that laser do for
you on a scroll saw?

It shows the line where the saw won't cut.

SCNR

Rejnold